Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you shower every day?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I always use a bar of soap first and a facecloth for the first cleanse, then switch to shower gel and one of those puffy things for the second going over!

blimey - thats thorough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Have a shower every night, showering in the morning is too much of a chore.

Fresh clothes every day, I might wear a tracksuit two days in a row but that be it, everything else gets changed every day.

A shower once a day is essential, for the mind and body.

do you know what, I think your supposed to wash your hair twice with shampoo if you want to get it really clean. Most of us just wash it once I think but you have to get it wet , then massage the shampoo into your hair/scalp then rinse it all out then repeat ... the shampoo lathers up much more on the second go (then you can rinse it out and use conditioner if you wish) . years ago this is how hairdressers used to wash your hair 2 washes with shampoo and then conditioner. - I dunno, maybe they still do that today too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

do you know what, I think your supposed to wash your hair twice with shampoo if you want to get it really clean. Most of us just wash it once I think but you have to get it wet , then massage the shampoo into your hair/scalp then rinse it all out then repeat ... the shampoo lathers up much more on the second go (then you can rinse it out and use conditioner if you wish) . years ago this is how hairdressers used to wash your hair 2 washes with shampoo and then conditioner. - I dunno, maybe they still do that today too.

sounds like overkill to me if you wash your hair regularly

lately as I am getting older if I have been outside (even if it hasnt been hot) doing a bit of gardening/mowing the lawn or something like that my back sweats like a bugger - when I am finished I have to take of me shirt and have a shower and its wringing wet with sweat horrible so it is - and got to have a shower because its horrible sitting around with we shirt at the back , gives you a chill - I never found I sweated this bad when I was younger after a small bit of manual work like that - well not as bad

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »
    sounds like overkill to me if you wash your hair regularly

maybe these days it is .. but I remember when shampoo bottles used to have on them "safe to use daily" on words on thefront of the shampoo bottle. - you dont see those words written on the bottles these days.

anyone ever tried beer shampoo?

I love soap bars, switched over to them a few months ago and I feel so much cleaner and my skin is in much better shape. Better for the environment too. My favourites are the Nesti Dante ones, they smell amazing and last ages.

Flying Fox wrote: »
    I love soap bars, switched over to them a few months ago and I feel so much cleaner and my skin is in much better shape. Better for the environment too. My favourites are the Nesti Dante ones, they smell amazing and last ages.

do you know what, i never really thought about that aspect but they are arent they -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

I have showers some days baths on others it depends on what sort of mood I'm in but i certainly wash everyday i would feel uncomfortably sticky if i didn't.

showers generally are cleaner apart from saving water aspect and the quickness of having a shower as opposed to having a bath - when your having a bath your just laying in your own scum suspended in water. - I used to prefer baths over showers years ago and have done a complete u-turn and prefer showers now - i cannot even remember the last (year?) time i had a bath even . The girls in this household prefer baths rather than showers.

we used to live in a house once with a really old cast iron bath and you could fill it right up deep - but these new modern plastic white ones tend to be a lot smaller these days I think, you cant even lie down fully in some them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As a child growing up we always had Cussons Imperial Leather soap in the bathroom. Liquid soaps and gels were pretty much nonexistent back in the 1980s.* We also had Radox bath powder too. In terms of soap it was bars all the way. There was Badedas bubble bath liquid but that was a real luxury to have very occasionally.

Can’t stand the smell of carbolic soap - way too strong. I liked the old Pears orange transparent soap bars (anyone remember them?) but sadly I don’t think they’ve been on the market for a long time now.

*Oh I forgot Matey, the bubble bath for kids. Anyone remember it? :)

2c0e8dd1d95815b10445823898908d07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Froshtbit

Every. Single. Day. It should be the law. Im tired of getting on a bus in the morning and smelling some nasty animal who smells like they've slept in their own sweat and eaten their own bad breath.

It's much worse in the country. I was recently at a function with my parents in Mayo and it smelled truly shocking. Wash yourselves you animals

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I shower at least once a day.

Twice if I go the gym after work.

Froshtbit wrote: »
    Every. Single. Day. It should be the law. Im tired of getting on a bus in the morning and smelling some nasty animal who smells like they've slept in their own sweat and eaten their own bad breath.

It's much worse in the country. I was recently at a function with my parents in Mayo and it smelled truly shocking. Wash yourselves you animals

its true really - for the day and age we live in and with running water and indoor bathrooms and cheapness of soap etc .. really there is no reason (apart from lazyiness/dirtyness) that someone should not have a wash/shower and clean their teeth daily - if not for themselves but to in the name of kindness to your fellow citizens

• Registered Users Posts: 15,657 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Do I shower every day nope. Sometimes mostly in the winter I might go for a week, month or even two months without bothering to Shower but in the Summer I do try to shower every second day at least. It is nice to have a shower but I do not see the point in having one when you are not dirty or sweaty and there is so many other things I could be doing.

showers generally are cleaner apart from saving water aspect and the quickness of having a shower as opposed to having a bath - when your having a bath your just laying in your own scum suspended in water. - I used to prefer baths over showers years ago and have done a complete u-turn and prefer showers now - i cannot even remember the last (year?) time i had a bath even . The girls in this household prefer baths rather than showers.

we used to live in a house once with a really old cast iron bath and you could fill it right up deep - but these new modern plastic white ones tend to be a lot smaller these days I think, you cant even lie down fully in some them

Yes I agree modern plastic baths are crap.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

AMKC wrote: »
    Do I shower every day nope. Sometimes mostly in the winter I might go for a week, month or even two months without bothering.
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Do I shower every day nope. Sometimes mostly in the winter I might go for a week, month or even two months without bothering to Shower.

Two months? Do you hibernate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭jk23

Try twice a day if I can, definitely twice if I had physical exercise

Do I shower every day nope. Sometimes mostly in the winter I might go for a week, month or even two months without bothering to Shower but in the Summer I do try to shower every second day at least. It is nice to have a shower but I do not see the point in having one when you are not dirty or sweaty and there is so many other things I could be doing.

Yes I agree modern plastic baths are crap.

Well, it’s one thing not to shower every day but going for a month or two without showering? :eek: That sounds pretty manky to me. Would you take baths instead or even wash with a cloth at the sink?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

They're very shallow. I decided to have a bath in my apartment once, because I had a back injury, and I was barely teabagging the water, tbh.

I'd say now without some people knowing, that there are other benefits to showering every day in the morning. How about if the water is hot (which it normally is, unless your having a cold shower) the steam from the hot water in the shower must help by keeping your airwaves clean as you are inevitability going to be sniffing the steam up your nose and through your mouth and down your throat it must keep your airwaves clear of mucus.

Then you have the rubbing/massaging of your head/scalp as you are putting in the shampoo - I think I read somewhere that this action can excite your hair follicles and send blood rushing to the head/scalp and promote good hair growth ... on the other hand I think I also read that the more you wash your hair the more it secretes oil into the hair - now obviously if you suffer from greasy hair already on a regular basis the last thing you would want it to do is promote more grease .

of course the other benefits is it wakes you up , can a lot of the time relax a headache (the warm water helping) and relax muscles in your back .. and of course if you put a good bit of effort into your showering then you are getting excercise and also keeping all your moving bits supple and moving :)

I do like the occasional relaxing evening bath (with bubble bath and tea light candles) now and then. I would hate not to have the option of being able to take a bath, even though I prefer to shower to get clean. But it seems more and more people are getting rid of their baths to replace them with big, fancy showers.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I do like the occasional relaxing evening bath (with bubble bath and tea light candles) now and then. I would hate not to have the option of being able to take a bath, even though I prefer to shower to get clean. But it seems more and more people are getting rid of their baths to replace them with big, fancy showers.

yes , and space wise a lot of house / apartments these days dont even have enough room for a bath or a copper cylinder in the hot press so i suppose a shower goes in - plus in these days of water conservation thats another thing as well. there was a thing once i read of how many showers it would take to fill up a bath i think it was something like you could take 10 or more 5 minute showers or something the equivalent of 1 bath

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I do this, I am pretty sure most people I know do too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Most days. An odd day I will shower with Lynx.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Pears orange transparent soap bars (anyone remember them?) but sadly I don’t think they’ve been on the market for a long time now.

They still make them. I spotted some in a local chemist and stockpiled them for someone who gets a nostalgia hit from the smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

our local farmer co-op store still sell bars of that carbolic soap

I saw them in a small town in Kerry .Lovely stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well, it’s one thing not to shower every day but going for a month or two without showering? :eek: That sounds pretty manky to me. Would you take baths instead or even wash with a cloth at the sink?

Cloth and sink for me. And I knit the cloths myself; good hard cotton . Shower here is bust and waiting for the council to fit a bath but not holding my breath

• Advertisement

Two months without a shower? :eek:
    I really hope you're not serious. You could get all kinds of bacterial infections from that, and there's no way you're not dirty and smelly, even if you think you're fine. I feel sick just thinking about it. Absolute minimum should be a shower every second day.

Advertisement