Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The second most dangerous form of transport...?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Actually it would be car according to http://www.cityam.com/215834/one-chart-showing-safest-ways-travel

a7949948_o.png

Which would surely mean that you are safer on your own than with passengers?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

devnull wrote: »
    Titanic?

statistically very safe, no one has died on it in over 100 years!

statistically very safe, no one has died on it in over 100 years!

But very unsafe given the number who died per mile.

If you were to use the time as a factor then space travel would likely be the safest at the moment closely followed by segways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gimli2112 wrote:
    a motorcycle without a motor

Thankfully no one suggested a bicycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Plague cart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Killarney Jaunting Car.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Quad

Isambard wrote: »
    35% of accidents are caused by drunk drivers....

65% caused by sober drivers? what does that tell you?

1.5% of all car journeys are made by drunk drivers. What does that tell you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Submarine....

• Advertisement

Mr.H wrote: »
    Link?

Sorry Mr.H, I don’t have a link. That’s based on an article I read a long time ago, and was very specific to some random breath testing stats in the Goldcoast Queensland on a weekend night.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

In thailand atm 7 deadly days 44% alcohol related, death toll is counted only by those who die at the scene of accident.
    THE road death toll has reached 248, with 2,557 injured in 2,449 accidents during the first four days of the so-called seven dangerous Songkran days, the Road Safety Centre announced yesterday.
    The figures marked an across-the-board increase over the same period last year, which saw 226 deaths, 2,457 injured and 2,385 road accidents.
    Sorry for going off topic and i dont want to trivialize this horrible tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

wiz569 wrote: »
    Walking?

RIGHT!

After Motorcycles, walking accounts for the most accidents.

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Actually it would be car according to http://www.cityam.com/215834/one-chart-showing-safest-ways-travel

a7949948_o.png

Which would surely mean that you are safer on your own than with passengers?:eek:

These statistics are only for vehicles.

It tells me that a drunk driver is 23 more times as likely to have an accident than a sober one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BailMeOut wrote: »
    The Space Shuttle or the Concorde?

Concorde had one fatal crash in 30 years service, even at 100 passengers a flight it built up plenty of passengers during that time

Plus the crash was caused by a bit failing off a DC10!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Nomis21 wrote: »
    RIGHT! After Motorcycles, walking accounts for the most accidents.
    Right, but walking isn't intrinsically dangerous, it's only made dangerous by vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Lumen wrote: »
    Right, but walking isn't intrinsically dangerous, it's only made dangerous by vehicles.

Not only vehicles though as technology has improved people are getting dumber as they look at their phones or tablets as they walk along.

They needs a good slap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the statistics for pedestrian accidents are almost entirely included in the road vehicle statistics. i.e. a pedestrian killed by a car will be there as a car accident. Pedestrians rarely kill cars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Not only vehicles though as technology has improved people are getting dumber as they look at their phones or tablets as they walk along.
    on the other hand, 85 pedestrians were killed in 2000, and 29 in 2012. so if there was an increase due to people looking at smartphones, it's being buried in an overall downward trend.

• Advertisement

The correct answer is walking based on Worldwide accident data. Pedestrians do not damage cars but more people die by walking accidents than in any vehicle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,357 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

more people die by walking accidents than in any vehicle.
    a pedestrian being killed by a car/truck etc. is not 'a walking accident'.

more people die by walking accidents than in any vehicle.
    a pedestrian being killed by a car/truck etc. is not 'a walking accident'.

Yes but the pedestrian was killed while walking. Regardless of who caused the accident.

they died due to being hit by a car.
    if a car kills me while i am eating a chocolate bar, we do not call that 'an eating accident'.

i don't have an issue with the terminology if a pedestrian slips off a kerb and hits their head, resulting in death.

anyway, it's getting away from the premise of the thread. as at least one other poster has commented, this does not make walking the second most dangerous form of transport, as the inherent danger comes from motor vehicles. in most pedestrian fatalities, the 'danger' should be attributed to the motor vehicle that struck them, not to pedestrianism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The second most dangerous form of transport...?

A drunken jockyback on the way to get a kebab, the nightmare of the A&E department.

Perhaps OP wants to highlight the dangers of distracted walking, which may or may not involve vehicle accidents?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

they died due to being hit by a car.
    if a car kills me while i am eating a chocolate bar, we do not call that 'an eating accident'.

i don't have an issue with the terminology if a pedestrian slips off a kerb and hits their head, resulting in death.

anyway, it's getting away from the premise of the thread. as at least one other poster has commented, this does not make walking the second most dangerous form of transport, as the inherent danger comes from motor vehicles. in most pedestrian fatalities, the 'danger' should be attributed to the motor vehicle that struck them, not to pedestrianism.

You could apply that logic to a significant proportion of motorcycle and bicycle injuries so the OP's point is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Collie D wrote: »
    Statistically you're more likely die walking while drunk than driving.

Don't think it factors in innocent lives though.

Anyway, less click bait, more answer from OP

I was involved in a high speed drunk walking accident once, ploughed an innocent pedestrian out of it while texting some quare one, built like a Volvo they were (the innocent pedestrian, not the quare one) I came of the worst of it if I remember correctly - which I probably don't:D

Anyway OP my guess is the human cannon, sure it's fast - but it doesn't handle corners at all well.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    You could apply that logic
    be my guest. i will be curious to hear why it's different for cyclists?

most KSIs related to cycling (in any of the studies i've seen) have been attributable to the actions of the motorist.

i don't know much about the stats relating to motorcyclists, but if you have them, feel free to share them.

• Advertisement

to clarify - if a cyclist loses control and crashes into a wall on a bend - cycling accident.
    if a motorist crashes into a cyclist - generally, would be a motoring accident.

Advertisement