Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your last physical disc game?

Options
  • 13-04-2018 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭

So what was your last physical disc game for PC?

Also what year.

I am struggling for mine and I think it was HAWX for €1 in PC World. Because it was €1 and that was in 2012 i think.

I am not really sure, but I just seen a pic of someone on console getting a game being happy they had the nice physical copy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Quantum Break (PC) 2016. I am a huge fan of Remedy and have sealed copies of all of their games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I bought Homeworld 1 and 2 when i was in Oz about 4 years ago. They weren't available online at the time, and found them in an old retro store. Couldn't believe my luck, as the laptop i was using wasn't great for games, and could only play older titles. Played through both, and loved them all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Street fighter V, opened box, got key and downloaded game. I havnt had a DVD drive in my system since ~2010, i think Mass Effect was the last game i installed from DVD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭passatman86

Championship manager 01/02 have two copies of it now and have had 5/6 copies of the same game over the years. They end up scratched lost or broke.. seriously thinking of buying an old second hand laptop to start playing it again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I backed the Kickstarter for Broken Sword 5 and got a physical copy with that in 2013. Never opened it as I have the game digitally too. Before that I don't remember, nothing since maybe 2011 at the earliest. I've not had an optical disc drive since 2013.

For consoles, the last disc I got was Heavy Rain for Christmas 2013. The next physical game was Mario Odyssey for Christmas 2017, followed by Zelda in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Collectors Edition of Total War: Warhammer 2. Totally worth it.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,248 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Saw, this would have been the last game I ran from disc (I don't think it's available on any download services even now which is a real shame)

Technical mention for Syndicate (the 2012 version), I had a physical disc but I just needed the key to download it from Origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Mechwarrior 4. Managed to buy that game on four different occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Kingdom Come: Deliverance only because I accidentally selected that option 4 years ago on Kickstarter
    prior to that The Witcher 2

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Bought a new sealed copy of Prey (2006 version) from Amazon in 2012 .

Never used the disk , just activated the key in Steam .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Sleeping dogs 2012 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fallout 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good question, not sure if I can honestly remember - can't even remember the last time I had a DVD drive in a PC - maybe 2009 or 2010?

Last game on physical media would probably have been GTA IV....I think. Maybe Company of Heroes Gold Collection either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Can't remember, haven't had a cd rom in my PC for at least 10 years, have a guess i'd say The burning crusade expansion

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Project cars 2. Purchased last Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Modern Warfare 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

You know what, that's actually an excellent question. I'm struggling here, despite the fact that I probably have the answer upstairs in the attic somewhere. Geez I haven't the foggiest, I couldn't even tell you the last time I bought a hardcopy PC game. I'm going to go with The Settlers 7, which was initially released in 2010 I think. Whether that's the last one I bought I couldn't say, just going by my memory of old games and their release dates. I would struggle to say I have bought many hardcopy versions since 2010 anyway, all through Steam, GOG, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Diablo 3, I think 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Just cause 2, no idea why I bought the disc...I think I might have even pre-ordered it in Game but I can't remember why. Perhaps it didnt originally release on Steam or something

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

COD: Black Ops

2010 i think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,698 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I bought Doom & Overwatch in 2016, but neither had a disc in the box.

And my Amazon history isn't showing any other PC game purchases before or since.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,144 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Alien vs Predator 2000 I think. Had plenty of disk games since on console though(and will have God of War on disk come Friday). Bought Titanfall 2 in argos but it was an Origin code in the box rather than a disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bought Skyrim on the day it came out in 2011, im pretty sure the last hard copy of a game I bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

BF4 I bought it on disk as my I had a 6 Mbps connection no point trying to download a game with that speed

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

Total War Shogun 2 Gold edition in 2014

It had been a while since I'd used a disc in my laptop and when I put the disc in there was a horrible grinding noise.
    Took it out and found a nice deep scratch all the way around.
    Tried it in another machine and it didn't recognise it.

Thankfully there was a steam key inside the box!

It triggered both an end my unconditional love of physical media and paranoia around digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Fallout 4, which came with a steam key! so didnt even use it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brililant Question. At a guess it was the Wrath of the Lich King. I have a large suit case under a bed stuffed with games boxes going back to around 1999(Baldurs Gate). Remember when games used to come in massive big boxes...
    Wife keeps telling me I have to get rid of them. I tell her if they go, she goes.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Glebee wrote: »
    I have a large suit case under a bed stuffed with games boxes going back to around 1999(Baldurs Gate). Remember when games used to come in massive big boxes...

I got rid of most of mine a long time ago but for nostalgic reasons I can't bear to part with my original copies of Star Wars Rebel Assault 2 and Soldier of Fortune 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Guild Wars 2. Hated it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Fallout 4 C.E. I think, but come to think of it I can't recall now if that was an online install with code or a disc. I tend not to buy hard-copy/boxes these days, save perhaps some fancy special edition releases. My other half did get me the Fallout nuke collection as a Christmas present though which most definitely contained hard-copies (and the most awesome PC game case ever :pac: ), not long after.

Advertisement