Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Motorbikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Bit of oil on the hands dirty finger nails.
    Smacking your bike with a big fook off hammer..

Smell of petrol and oil off you.

The sound of the engine revving and exhaust popping on upshifts and down shifts.

Yep......thats what a leccy bike will give me.......lol.

Yeah I know it's the future because of European fat cats pushing it......but that's not biking to me.

And I ridden the BMW leccy bike and fookin hated it too.
    Yeah it's nippy and it's quiet.
    But to me it's not a bike and won't be for me.

Petrol engine for me and that's it.

Goose81 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch one, I don't care about how much money you save. If you are riding on a bike that makes no noise it's a recipe for death that's enough for me.

Regards warranty, no one is going to know it should be listed on their website and pretty easy to find... No offense but I'd be asking the manufacturer not a forum where 0 people have any experience.

Car wise, I'm interested. I like them, everything about them. On a bike not a chance

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

+1

I'd love one in the stable...I'll never have a Harley but that doesnt make me think the owners arent bikers....Its all about 2 wheel fun..we'll all end up in a box or urn or scattered across our favorite place....real bikers, tut..dont get me started..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If somebody wanted to get into biking and got one fair play. If they consider themselves then to be a biker, that's their business not anybody else. If it means one less person out on the road in a car fair play. The biking community is very small in this country as it is.

I sat in a hedge watching the TT Zero racing and yes they are quiet and people will argue "no its not a proper bike" but f**k them. It was exciting to watch. If a lad wants to try his hand horsing around the 37 mile mountain course on one, I'll tip my hat to them.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Yeah I know it's the future because of European fat cats pushing it......but that's not biking to me.

Very much so, electric IOT everything, not to mention the dreaded smart meters in homes.

Plenty of plus and minuses e.g. If you don't fully pay insurance/tax/bills, someone far away at a desk can probably flick a remote switch for 'denial of services'.

On the plus side, maintenance/running costs will be low, just drop in a new brushless motor or power pack. Then again mechanics will become rare and not sure if having a high voltage, 21kw power plant so close to you gohonas is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,047 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I presume throttle response and electronic things like wheelie control can be much more finely tuned on an electric bike.

The bigger change for motorcycling will be when electric cars go mainstream.

When every car on the road can do 0-100kph in 3 seconds and take off from the lights instantly with zero-wheelspin 4WD, will we still be filtering to the front? How will people drive with that level of performance on tap?

People might start moaning about being held up by motorbikes.

We may have to go electric to keep up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bit of oil on the hands dirty finger nails.
    Smacking your bike with a big fook off hammer..

Smell of petrol and oil off you.

The sound of the engine revving and exhaust popping on upshifts and down shifts.

Yep......thats what a leccy bike will give me.......lol.

just had to comment on the stupidity of that point.

European 'fat cats' or any other 'fat 'cats' have nothing to do with the advent of electric motorcycles. what so ever.

And if you believe that then you belong in the conspiracy forum with the other cranks.

Electric bikes are coming about because of technology nothing more nothing less.

keep the discussion to the facts.

listermint wrote: »

European 'fat cats' or any other 'fat 'cats' have nothing to do with the advent of electric motorcycles. what so ever.

And if you believe that then you belong in the conspiracy forum with the other cranks.

Electric bikes are coming about because of technology nothing more nothing less.

Lol....

• Advertisement

So who killed the 2 stroke bike then???

Who's trying to get diesel cars off the road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps, but what about the huge push for wireless electric meters?

In years to come you'll pay a huge premium to have a lad come out every 6mths and read the box.

Could a solar pv kit on a roof charge up an electric bike?
    How long would you have to charge it for?

Or is it still coal fired/fossil fueled electrical power stations that are needed to charge them up?

Would the EU or the leccy companies give you a rate discount if you showed them you drove an ev or rode a leccy bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Damn these fat cats for caring about our health and environment. I, like you, want to die from cancer caused by cars! Also lets get rid of seat belts and crumple zones, they just drive up the cost of cars! Who cares if a few thousand people die!

TBi wrote: »
    Damn these fat cats for caring about our health and environment. I, like you, want to die from cancer caused by cars! Also lets get rid of seat belts and crumple zones, they just drive up the cost of cars! Who cares if a few thousand people die!

Eat some more red meat and sausages and you will die aswell.

Buy a Dacia Duster or Sandero then.

Right,I'm off out to give everyone cancer with my BMW motorbike.

Have fun you lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

if you want an electric bike to make noise just stick a playing card in the spokes. duh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Eat some more red meat and sausages and you will die aswell.

Buy a Dacia Duster or Sandero then.

We all die anyway Red meat, diesel or electric or petrol bikes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

GBX wrote: »
    We all die anyway Red meat, diesel or electric or petrol bikes. :rolleyes:

Yes but wouldn't you prefer to choose your own way of dying? e.g. skydiving accident, rather than slowly dying of cancer from toxic fumes?

Better 4 strokes......:p

• Advertisement

TBi wrote: »
    Yes but wouldn't you prefer to choose your own way of dying? e.g. skydiving accident, rather than slowly dying of cancer from toxic fumes?

Ah sure I breath in lots of lovely farty smells every morning on the number 16 bus.

No electric bike in JD Bmw for the next 3 months.

Sent it back to the UK as nobody is interested in it.
    Was up there an hour ago.

True story.

JD BMW Motorrad

A lot of trouble to make a point...BMW make sh1t bikes, maybe thats the reason......true story......:P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What does the 2 stroke bike have to do with the advent of electric technology?

Feck all.

Whos trying to get diesel cars off the road?

People who care about our cities, theyre an actual silent killer just like asbestos was a few decades ago.

Yet you think there is some silent fat cat conspiracy. Come on Stewy your smarter than that nonsense.

:p
    What does the 2 stroke bike have to do with the advent of electric technology?

Feck all.

Whos trying to get diesel cars off the road?

People who care about our cities, theyre an actual silent killer just like asbestos was a few decades ago.

Yet you think there is some silent fat cat conspiracy. Come on Stewy your smarter than that nonsense.

I'm off to the garage to start me 2 RD's and the lawmnmower..fcuk it....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Funny that the Germans still sell 2 stroke mowers though, AS Mower still list them for rough ground where 4 strokes would die from oil starvation...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,762 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No electric bike in JD Bmw for the next 3 months.

Sent it back to the UK as nobody is interested in it.
    Was up there an hour ago.

True story.

only thing wrong with it, well two actually:
    1 - The price (€15,400 - €16,900- I mean, really ??? )
    2 - quality of a Jap built bike is still better.

Ok, 3 - this looks better: https://www.gettyimages.fi/event/harley-davidson-unveils-electric-motorcycle-498808115#/markhans-richer-harley-davidsons-chief-marketing-officer-rides-a-picture-id451105154

Other than that I'd have an electric bike in a heartbeat - I have a 7 minute commute: a good elec bike would be ideal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

JD BMW told me yesterday that if after 5 years the battery pack goes below 80% capacity that a new battery pack will be fitted by BMW free of charge.

Also for a full on major service of the battery pack and electronics the bike has to go back to Baveria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭D3V!L

JD BMW told me yesterday that if after 5 years the battery pack goes below 80% capacity that a new battery pack will be fitted by BMW free of charge.

Also for a full on major service of the battery pack the bike has to go back to Baveria.

They had one in the shop for a long time. It was either a demo or second hand model. Obviously they couldn't shift it.

Advertisement