Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,284 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Do I sense some pleasure in that emanating? I sure do. :rolleyes:

a statement of fact. you should try one sometime.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I dont even think the Twitter stuff matters that much. Brand and sponsorship managers know there are circumstances where they will always cut loose. Poor treatment of women is definitely one of those occasions, especially for blue chip sponsors like banks and insurance companies.

He's had a huge fall form grace and it has all been because of his public image. He was Johnny Sextons understudy and he would of being going to the World Cup this year and representing his country. Since his move to France his form has fallen through the floor too

His record for Perpignan was played 26 games, won 2 and lost 24. For a number 10 who is supposed to be running the game that is an awful record.

He was the 36th best fly half last season out of 39 in the TOP14. #144 out of 186 in the world. A pretty shocking fall from grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

In order to not confuse this with other rape trials in the Belfast area and considering the boys were not found guilty, should we consider renaming the thread to something along the lines of "Trial of Paddy Jackson, Start Olding, Blane McIlroy and Rory Harrison"

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Real nasty side to some of the posters here taking such glee in someones continued fall from grace.
    If he ended up homeless on the street, some of these would see it as a victory. Hateful bullyboy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,351 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I dont even think the Twitter stuff matters that much. Brand and sponsorship managers know there are circumstances where they will always cut loose. Poor treatment of women is definitely one of those occasions, especially for blue chip sponsors like banks and insurance companies.

He's had a huge fall form grace and it has all been because of his public image. He was Johnny Sextons understudy and he would of being going to the World Cup this year and representing his country. Since his move to France his form has fallen through the floor too

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/contrasting-fortunes-for-jackson-and-olding-in-france-after-belfast-rape-trial-1.3843125

His record for Perpignan was played 26 games, won 2 and lost 24. For a number 10 who is supposed to be running the game that is an awful record. Its certainly a long way away from when he was considered one of the best in the world in that position.

Yet managed to find a place in a premiership squad? His bolt is clearly not shot yet by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Real nasty side to some of the posters here taking such glee in someones continued fall from grace.
    If he ended up homeless on the street, some of these would see it as a victory. Hateful bullyboy stuff.

Karma's a bitch, Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

In order to not confuse this with other rape trials in the Belfast area and considering the boys were not found guilty, should we consider renaming the thread to something along the lines of "Trial of Paddy Jackson, Start Olding, Blane McIlroy and Rory Harrison"

Should rename it The Ongoing Witch Hunt of an Innocent Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

I didn’t ask why he got a free pass. Please don’t misquote.

i'd never even heard of the guy until today.
    And??

You started replying to my posts, not the other way around.

In other words, you felt informed enough to engage posters on this thread even though you “never even heard of the guy until today “.

And??

You started replying to my posts, not the other way around.

In other words, you felt informed enough to engage posters on this thread even though you “never even heard of the guy until today “.

i was responding in general to your whataboutery.

My statement that he was on a lucrative contract is one of fact,
    Lucrative = gainful, remunerative, moneymaking
    despite the fact that it clearly galls some to even admit that it might be the case.
    They seem to require penury and poverty before their lust is satisfied.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Karma's a bitch, Jack.

You should hope you never get yours.

At this point its gone way beyond any karma he might have deserved for his actions. But for some it will never be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭facehugger99

At least ohnonotgmail admits it is more than most ordinary people get. Which is lucrative in my book anyhow.

Are you annoyed that he might get paid well?

I have no idea what he's getting - we've established you don't either.

I suspect he was gotten cheap though. His options are limited, he's damaged goods and he stunk up French rugby last season.

I'll hazzard a guess at £150k. Hardly lucrative for a 27 year old with perhaps 6 or 7 years left, no post-playing future available and chunk of legal bills to pay.

Wouldn't swap my salary with him TBH.

You should hope you never get yours.

If I do, for whatever reason, I'll have nobody to blame but myself.

Maybe Jackson can take a page out of Olding's book and realise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

i'd never even heard of the guy until today.
    Do I sense some pleasure in that emanating? I sure do. :rolleyes:

That is some leap. So you've gone from never having heard of the guy until today to taking pleasure in his continued haranguing from the witch hunting idiots that would like to see his life ruined.

You belong on ignore and onto my list you go.

new thread prob the best idea

"jackson and olding not guilty: the aftermath"

That is some leap. So you've gone from never having heard of the guy until today to taking pleasure in his continued haranguing from the witch hunting idiots that would like to see his life ruined.

You belong on ignoe and onto my list you go.

The first post is talking about Akinade, second one is about Jackson.

You know that too.

You belong on ignore and onto my list you go.

you have quoted posts talking about 2 completely different people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Karma's a bitch, Jack.

So they've suffered financially, and representationally.
    Fair enough.

How much more must they endure?
    Is there any redemption?

I have no idea what he's getting - we've established you don't either.

I suspect he was gotten cheap though. His options are limited, he's damaged goods and he stunk up French rugby last season.

I'll hazzard a guess at £150k. Hardly lucrative for a 27 year old with perhaps 6 or 7 years left, no post-playing future available and chunk of legal bills to pay.

Wouldn't swap my salary with him TBH.

No idea and then you go on to invent what he is on to suit yourself.

Hilarious there Facehugger...fecking hilarious! Oh how it galls you that he might get paid well.

despite the fact that it clearly galls some to even admit that it might be the case.

this is the statement of fact i was referring to. Its not that difficult to follow.
    I'm sure it is much more than ordinary people but it is still a step down from where he was.

• Advertisement

You know, I could actually smell the bull**** from this one from half a page away.

Lucrative definition - source The Cambridge English dictionary.

1)Producing a lot of money.
    2)Making a large profit

Now, let's try this again because you seem to be trying to wriggle out of it - post up his contract details

You know, so we can see that your "statement that he was on a lucrative contract is one of fact"

If I do, for whatever reason, I'll have nobody to blame but myself.

Maybe Jackson can take a page out of Olding's book and realise that.

How do you know he hasn't?
    He was entitled to have a go at the vicious, slanderous social media campaign waged against him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

This Sir John Gillen seems to be something of a muppet.

Rape trial anonymity should be retained in Republic, expert says

Belfast rape trial review called for no change to NI law allowing naming of defendants.

Rugby players Paddy Jackson and Stuart Olding were acquitted of rape “but their names are mud,” NUI Galway law lecturer Dr Conor Hanly said.

The law on the anonymity of defendants and complainants in rape trials in the Republic works well and should be retained, according to a leading academic.

NUI Galway law lecturer Dr Conor Hanly said he was surprised by the recommendation of Sir John Gillen, in the wake of the Belfast rape trials, that the rule in Northern Ireland, which allows for the naming of defendants, should not change.

The trial in Belfast last year in which rugby players Paddy Jackson, Stuart Olding and others were found not guilty, received massive publicity because of the identities of the accused.

In the Republic, a defendant in a rape trial is not identified until the trial is over and then only if there is a conviction and the identification does not endanger the anonymity of the complainant.

However, a complainant can opt to waive her rights so that a convicted rapist can be identified.

In his interview with The Irish Times, Mr Gillen said he felt the “greater contribution to justice” was served by naming the accused in rape trials so that others who might have been assaulted by the same person might seek justice.

The review, chaired by Tom O’Malley, of NUI Galway, is due to report in the first quarter of this year. The review group has met Mr Gillen as part of its work.

Noeline Blackwell, of the Dublin Rape Crisis Centre (DRCC), said she had “some sympathy” for Mr Gillen’s view on the issue of anonymity, given that people accused of other types of serious crime are publicly named.

However, the issue of “celebrity trials” and the intimacy of what was involved in sexual assault cases, had persuaded her that “on balance” the anonymity of defendants should be retained.

Ms Blackwell said that allowing for the publication of a defendant’s identity meant that victims of sexual crimes by celebrities would be less likely to press charges, given the intense focus any trial would receive from the media.

You know, I could actually smell the bull**** from this one from half a page away.

Lucrative definition - source The Cambridge English dictionary.

1)Producing a lot of money.
    2)Making a large profit

Now, let's try this again because you seem to be trying to wriggle out of it - post up his contract details

You know, so we can see that your "statement that he was on a lucrative contract is one of fact"

There is nothing in the public realm which suggests he is on less than any other premiership player.
    The average salary in the Aviva Premiership was 200,000 in 2017 with certain positions earning much more. Jackson's position being one of them.

If you are lucky enough to think that is not a lucrative salary, all the best to you. But I would be of the opinion it is...hence why i referred to it as 'lucrative'.

There is nothing in the public realm which suggests he is on less than any other premiership player.

So, you can make up any old ****e and claim it as 'fact' if there's nothing to contradict it?

Good to know for the future where your standard of proof lies.

At least this will presumably bring a halt to your regular calls for other posters to supply you with proof of their statements - they'll just be able to point to the lack of evidence in the public realm which doesn't contradict them.

You're some chancer lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yet managed to find a place in a premiership squad? His bolt is clearly not shot yet by any means.

He plays for relegation fodder now Francie, its far from the top tier of rugby he used to be playing in. Its the football equivalent of playing for Man City or Liverpool and then going down to play for West Brom or Aston Villa. But even worse than that he is frozen out of the international game which is where rugby players really earn their crust.

You seem to want to put a positive spin on his career for some reason. There is nothing positive about going from a club team challenging for trophies to going to a team that loses 24 out of 26 games and gets relegated. And nothing positive about him never playing for Ireland again, thats the huge kicker for him as he was a shoe in for replacing Johnny Sexton.

So, you can make up any old ****e and claim it as 'fact' if there's nothing to contradict it?

Good to know for the future where your standard of proof lies.

At least this will presumably bring a halt to your regular calls for other posters to supply you with proof of their statements - they'll just be able to point to the lack of evidence in the public realm which doesn't contradict them.

You're some chancer lad.

Why does the notion that he may be on a lucrative contract annoy you so much?

Really odd thing for any normal person to get hung up on. Unless you are jealous and spiteful?

He plays for relegation fodder now Francie, its far from the top tier of rugby he used to be playing in. Its the football equivalent of playing for Man City or Liverpool and then going down to play for West Brom or Aston Villa. But even worse than that he is frozen out of the international game which is where rugby players really earn their crust.

You seem to want to put a positive spin on his career for some reason. There is nothing positive about going from a club team challenging for trophies to going to a team that loses 24 out of 26 games and gets relegated. And nothing positive about him never playing for Ireland again, thats the huge kicker for him as he was a shoe in for replacing Johnny Sexton.

He has paid quite a price as you outline above, and people want to kick him even further down. When will it be enough.

Another post brimful of pointless spite imo. Carry on if it helps to relieve something.

There is very little positive in Jackson's position I would say. Putting his head down and taking some joy from what he is good at is pretty much all he has I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Another post brimful of pointless spite imo. Carry on if it helps to relieve something.

There is very little positive in Jackson's position I would say. Putting his head down and taking some joy from what he is good at is pretty much all he has I'd imagine.

Its not spite Francie, I'm just calling it as it is. I couldnt care less either way.
    So why are you trying to spin his career as positive? Its been a car crash ever since the trial, no shame in admitting it, even Jackson himself would admit that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement