Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast rape trial discussion thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

koheim wrote: »
    What exactly did Paddy Jackson say in the Whatsapp messages? Other than being a member of the groups, I cant find anything he wrote...but this seems to be the reason he was let go.

"There was a lot of spit".

(There was another message not retrieved by PSNI sent an hour and a bit before the "lewd" conversation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 755 ✭✭✭NAGDEFI

Dara Florence.

She said under oath she saw Paddy Jackson and the accused having consensual sex.

For me there are a few possibilities.

1. Dara Florence is a truthfull witness who described accurately what she saw.

2. Dara gave a 50 second look and wasn't sure what she saw, but could in no way be definite that she saw rape. Therefore, in good conscience, decided it was best to say it was consensual.

3. Dara picked up on some distress and maybe felt the actions were closer to rape than consensual. Olding, and Jackson in particular, are big names in Ulster. Dara possibly had mutual friends and acquaintances of the lads. Did she want to be responsible for pulling out the rug from underneath these men and Ulster rugby?? A major responsibility.

I'm not accusing Dara Florence of perjury just outlining various scenarios.

At any rate i believe she reported as she saw and accept the court's verdict. It's just we can never be 100% sure of anything said by any human being, in any case.

NAGDEFI wrote: »
    Dara Florence.

She said under oath she saw Paddy Jackson and the accused having consensual sex.

For me there are a few possibilities.

1. Dara Florence is a truthfull witness who described accurately what she saw.

2. Dara gave a 50 second look and wasn't sure what she saw, but could in no way be definite that she saw rape. Therefore, in good conscience, decided it was best to say it was consensual.

3. Dara picked up on some distress and maybe felt the actions were closer to rape than consensual. Olding, and Jackson in particular, are big names in Ulster. Dara possibly had mutual friends and acquaintances of the lads. Did she want to be responsible for pulling out the rug from underneath these men and Ulster rugby?? A major responsibility.

I'm not accusing Dara Florence of perjury just outlining various scenarios.

At any rate i believe she reported as she saw and accept the court's verdict. It's just we can never be 100% sure of anything said by any human being, in any case.

re dara

do u #believeher

re dara

do u #believeher

Ha!

80% yes. 20% no. For the reasons i outlined. Who really knows anything. Just because she was sober doesn't mean she took in the events in the bedroom with 100% accuracy.

Can someone being raped be so in shock that they look completely willing??

I don't know enough about such situations but look overall i have more reason to believe Dara Florence than not. Also a jury who were privy to a lot more information than me, saw these people on the stand, found the 4 innocent.

# i believe the court verdict. It's the only reasonable thing i have to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The young lady said she was raped. Dara Florence said she heard and saw consensual sex.

So not exactly the same account.

Can you elaborate on how consensual sex and non consensual sex look different?

• Advertisement

What i'm really sick of is this big male\female divide evident here and everywhere else re. this case.

All men and women had a mother and father. Some have brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, nieces and nephews etc.

This division is absolutely pointless. We should all be looking at rape and the various aspects around it from the one hymn sheet of respect, equality, education of young people.

We're not playing football in the school playground where teams are picked and the best, biggest strong boys get picked first.

Personally as regards my friends, i've an equal number of female and male ones and would say personal things more easily to my female ones.

The sexes compliment one another not all this ultra female and ultra male sh*te. I'm a man by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

What i'm really sick of is this big male\female divide evident here and everywhere else re. this case.

All men and women had a mother and father. Some have brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, nieces and nephews etc.

This division is absolutely pointless. We should all be looking at rape and the various aspects around it from the one hymn sheet of respect, equality, education of young people.

We're not playing football in the school playground where teams are picked and the best, biggest strong boys get picked first.

Personally as regards my friends, i've an equal number of female and male ones and would say personal things more easily to my female ones.

The sexes compliment one another not all this ultra female and ultra male sh*te. I'm a man by the way.

Unfortunately the law works differently for males and females so divisive cases are inevitable.

Unfortunately the law works differently for males and females so divisive cases are inevitable.

I understand. Just the general commentary is becoming polarised between the genders and for the future this isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

koheim wrote: »
    What exactly did Paddy Jackson say in the Whatsapp messages? Other than being a member of the groups, I cant find anything he wrote...but this seems to be the reason he was let go.
    I understand. Just the general commentary is becoming polarised between the genders and for the future this isn't good.

When you have groups of women with placards condemning all men, it’s not surprising that we were eventually going to say something to defend our gender. Sure even some of the women are sick of the attitude of the man haters.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you elaborate on how consensual sex and non consensual sex look different?

Facial expressions of and noises from participants would be two indicators I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Mrsmum wrote: »
    But what is your point exactly ? That because some wrong minded people behave like this (offensive language used to describe women) that we should be ok with other wrong minded people doing it ? I'm sure that there are people who still use the n word for black people but most people have got the message that it is unacceptable. Imagine if it came out that Pat Kenny say was laughing and calling a guest on his programme a n.... in private texts, he'd be out the door. Actually my son has told me that some of his coloured friends at school use this word about themselves messing like but that they would not like white people to do it. To slag yourself off is one thing, accepting it from others is a different thing altogether.

Excuse you, coloured friends?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

givyjoe wrote: »
    Excuse you, coloured friends?!

Note sure what this means.
    Is coloured not the right term, maybe not ??
    Or are you poking fun at the idea of my son having coloured/black friends ?? In which case he goes to a very large Dublin school. How could he not have friends of all sorts including coloured/black.
    What is your point ?

Dara thought everything was hunky dorey, the young lady claimed she had froze at that stage.
    No she hadn't, she claimed she froze when she was pushed onto the bed and jeans pulled down. She couldn't have been frozen when the door came open as quite conciously said she turned her head to avoid being filmed, rather odd she was worried about being filmed rather than seeing it as an opportunity to ask the other woman for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well when you have people like Roe McDermott and Una Mullally shouting about toxic masculinity and rape culture that will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Or are you poking fun at the idea of my son having coloured/black friends ?? In which case he goes to a very large Dublin school. How could he not have friends of all sorts including coloured/black.
    What is your point ?

Bless you.

No she hadn't, she claimed she froze when she was pushed onto the bed and jeans pulled down. She couldn't have been frozen when the door came open as quite conciously said she turned her head to avoid being filmed, rather odd she was worried about being filmed rather than seeing it as an opportunity to ask the other woman for help.

Sorry for being coarse, but she could hardly speak with her mouth full.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,121 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Well when you have people like Roe McDermott and Una Mullally shouting about toxic masculinity and rape culture that will happen.

Imagine if Roe got her way: women would be able to withdraw consent the morning after if they wanted to.

What is your point ?

its pretty poor form as a term

dated is the best you could say about it

goz83 wrote: »
    Bless you.

Why don't you just explain your point.

goz83 wrote: »
    When you have groups of women with placards condemning all men, it’s not surprising that we were eventually going to say something to defend our gender. Sure even some of the women are sick of the attitude of the man haters.

I ignore them for the lunatic fringe that they are. Say you have 1.5 million adult females in Ireland, 2% of that is 30,000. A small minority can make an awful lot of noise. Most of the women i know analyse the case in a rational way.

They are also going to post a lot on message boards, tweet and appear more prominent than they really are. The silent majority are less inclined.

That march by that feminist group before the Ulster match on Friday was a damp squib.

• Advertisement

its pretty poor form as a term

dated is the best you could say about it

Fair enough if it's not correct.

Did she rip his knob off when she turned her head then? Had to be coarse. The evidence was that there were no hands on her head, how exactly do you force someone to give you oral, with no force. Did he have a penis with plyers functionality?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I don't think you understand what the term frozen means in this instance, when she says she froze she means she didn't scream/fight/run, she went along with it, which is what sexual assault experts refer to as tonic immobility

Tonic immobility has also been hypothesized to occur in humans undergoing intense trauma, including sexual assault. While "freezing" in response to life-threatening situations is well-known, the common "freeze" response exhibited by victims of rape is often misunderstood as passive consent (as per Wikipedia)

I can only imagine how frightening it must be for any person to enter this state of mind...

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Did she rip his knob off when she turned her head then? Had to be coarse. The evidence was that there were no hands on her head, how exactly do you force someone to give you oral, with no force. Did he have a penis with plyers functionality?
    Come on, you're not that ignorant.

Even the defence's own witness admitted that rape victims more often than not tend to let it happen. It's not always the aggressive and violent act that we see in tv shows and films.

Actually, there's a rape scene in 13 Reasons Why on Netflix where the victim froze as you could put it.

I don't think you understand what the term frozen means in this instance, when she says she froze she means she didn't scream/fight/run, she went along with it, which is what sexual assault experts refer to as tonic immobility

Tonic immobility has also been hypothesized to occur in humans undergoing intense trauma, including sexual assault. While "freezing" in response to life-threatening situations is well-known, the common "freeze" response exhibited by victims of rape is often misunderstood as passive consent (as per Wikipedia)

I can only imagine how frightening it must be for any person to enter this state of mind...

Can you also worry about other things (like somebody having a camera/ social media etc) while in state?

Can you also worry about other things (like somebody having a camera/ social media etc) while in state?

You'd have to ask an expert...but i'd imagine someone in that state is not thinking rationally!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you trying to speculate as to what the complainant was or wasn't thinking without a shred of evidence?

You know, the very thing you had a go at me for?

You'd have to ask an expert...but i'd imagine someone in that state is not thinking rationally!

That is just it. The prosecution was not able to convince the jury that this happened.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Come on, you're not that ignorant.

Even the defence's own witness admitted that rape victims more often than not tend to let it happen. It's not always the aggressive and violent act that we see in tv shows and films.

Actually, there's a rape scene in 13 Reasons Why on Netflix where the victim froze as you could put it.

What's ignorance got to do with practicality? It's another hole in the evidence she provided. How do you explain the alleged victim being more concerned with being filmed than asking for help, that simply doesn't add up.

• Advertisement

That is just it. The prosecution was not able to convince the jury that this happened.

Ya I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement