Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a motorcycle at copart

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Blizgius wrote: »
    So i sent out the v756 form yesterday out with the details. If i get the document i am pritty much set. Ill try somehow to engrave the missing numbers on the engine and hopefully the vin plate is enough to vrt it. If so am all good

If the VRT crowd see the VIN numbers scratched off, then re-engraved, I highly doubt they'll let you clear the bike.

Even if you do, somehow get it cleared, and in a year go to sell it, unless you get someone clueless, you'll never sell it as the buyer will look at the headstock and instantly assume you're a thieving git.

Talk to your bank, begin the chargeback process, Copart won't be long trying to reach you if they realise they've sent out a bike and not been paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭Goose81

KT10 wrote: »
    If the VRT crowd see the VIN numbers scratched off, then re-engraved, I highly doubt they'll let you clear the bike.

Even if you do, somehow get it cleared, and in a year go to sell it, unless you get someone clueless, you'll never sell it as the buyer will look at the headstock and instantly assume you're a thieving git.

Talk to your bank, begin the chargeback process, Copart won't be long trying to reach you if they realise they've sent out a bike and not been paid for it.
    Get a metal plate and get a jeweler to engrave it and rivit it on to the frame. I just vrt my bike and your one didn't have a clue, she didn't even look at the VIN I read it out to her.

Even doing that isn't ideal though this is a disaster. What did copart say? Surely the seller has an obligation to explain what the hell is going on, they can't sell bikes like that !

Lads if the bikes from copart I assume it's a cat D write-off so anyone who would be in the market when he sells it probably won't give a **** once it has registration docs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blizgius

Okay, I just recieved the V561 form from DVLA. So now am ready to register the bike here, I will try to engave the engine number myself but i'll leave the vin that i have there, i think it should be okay. I was thinking the same that they might not have much idea about motorcycles here so I think I am okay. I want to ask now, does anybody know a person or a company/service i can contact to bring the motorcycle to vrt place ? Northpoint 2 off the m50 to be exact, I recide in swords. Thank you everyone for the comments, i hope it will go well in VRT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Okay, I just recieved the V561 form from DVLA. So now am ready to register the bike here, I will try to engave the engine number myself but i'll leave the vin that i have there, i think it should be okay. I was thinking the same that they might not have much idea about motorcycles here so I think I am okay. I want to ask now, does anybody know a person or a company/service i can contact to bring the motorcycle to vrt place ? Northpoint 2 off the m50 to be exact, I recide in swords. Thank you everyone for the comments, i hope it will go well in VRT!

Last bike I bought the dealer did this for me but I had to go to an NCT centre to get it finalised. I suggest dropping into one of them and asking at the window what you need to do.

I didn't get this bike from a dealer. I am thinking of contacting some towing companies and maybe they can help me out. I would rent out a trailer but neither mine or anyone that i know who has a hook on their car. :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I didn't get this bike from a dealer. I am thinking of contacting some towing companies and maybe they can help me out. I would rent out a trailer but neither mine or anyone that i know who has a hook on their car. :/

Look up bike recovery there are a few that do it.

Kelly recovery is one and bike recovery is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Or maybe a good citizen with a van might help......if he was southside i'd do it for diesel money.....just sayin....;)

Or maybe a good citizen with a van might help......if he was southside i'd do it for diesel money.....just sayin....;)

Very good of you. I would say that would be a great help to the op.

Very good of you. I would say that would be a great help to the op.

So i take it you cant help the guy out then...No van..?.or bike either...:p

So i take it you cant help the guy out then...No van..?.or bike either...:p

No van unfortunately.
    I would help out no issue at all.

• Advertisement

i was thinking of renting out a van but then i came to a problem on how the **** am i going to get the bike in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

i was thinking of renting out a van but then i came to a problem on how the **** am i going to get the bike in it :D

Couple of heavy duty planks or reverse the van up to the kerb and with a few bodies you can lift it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Easy

blade1 wrote: »

ahahhahahahhahaha made my day, i'll keep that in mind as a last resort :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,860 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I put my bike in my van with a single scaffold plank. Works a charm.

Being in Wicklow I can't help you with swords I'm afraid.

listermint wrote: »
    I put my bike in my van with a single scaffold plank. Works a charm.

Being in Wicklow I can't help you with swords I'm afraid.

Well thats no help to the op is it...???....:pac:

Well thats no help to the op is it...???....:pac:

It is ya , scaffold plank now he knows :)

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

listermint wrote: »
    No V5 means don't buy.

Don't ever buy something that doesn't have a log book it's the first and last red flag.

Can be someone else's problem nothings ever cheap enough for that headache.

Hi, newbie here. I am thinking about buying from Copart too, Nike Aldo has no v5. Could you explain me what that is, and why is it such a big red flag?
    Thanks

JaimeB wrote: »
    Hi, newbie here. I am thinking about buying from Copart too, Nike Aldo has no v5. Could you explain me what that is, and why is it such a big red flag?
    Thanks

It's the vehicle log book as on chassis number and plate.

One should never buy without this.

Thanks

In the famous words of paddy McGuiness.

No vfifey no likey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Thanks

Jamie, without being rude, if you don't know what a V5 is then you should take a big step back from buying abroad. Spend some time learning all about the different "categories of damage" they use in the UK etc. COPART are a very big breakers in the UK and not a fly by night operation so they know what they are dealing with everytime.

Thanks

Why wud u need a v5 for a pair of runners....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

Would I be right saying so given the OP's debacle, would it be best to avoid copart like the plague?

If the vin is missing or worn off then it's 99% most likely stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,282 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Would I be right saying so given the OP's debacle, would it be best to avoid copart like the plague?

I know I would
    https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/copart.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JaimeB

Jamie, without being rude, if you don't know what a V5 is then you should take a big step back from buying abroad. Spend some time learning all about the different "categories of damage" they use in the UK etc. COPART are a very big breakers in the UK and not a fly by night operation so they know what they are dealing with everytime.

I gave up. Can't deal with so much uncertainties know. I rather save a bit and buy a new or second hand one.

Advertisement