Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a motorcycle at copart

Options
  • 11-04-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello, I bought a Yamaha r3 2016 at copart uk YORK. I recieved the bike was exectly as in the pictures and drove well without a hitch, the problem is that all the serial numbers vin on the frame has been scratched off as well as engine number. There's only the vin on the front of the bike near the shocks but it's just a sticker. Since obviously I want to register it and drive it here in Ireland, any ideas how I can sort it out? I want to send V756 form to uk but they need engine number which i don't have and also during a VRT inspection they might look for it too which their gone. Any ideas on what should i do ? maybe i can get my money back from copart ? since this vehicle could end up be stolen with the vin sticker from another bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Sure sounds like a stolen bike. They have a massive problem over there with bike theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to find the numbers out. There can be an examination done but I would suggest contacting seller and stating what you have found.

As above it's most likely stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It wont pass inspection for registration here with the NCT people if they can't see a valid VIN number. Get onto the company you bought it from and ask what the f*ck they're doing selling you a stolen bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Maybe the VIN is encoded in the ECU. I don't know. A main dealer might give you some advice.
    No way will you get the bike registered here. This is a matter for Copart and the UK police, maybe AGS too.
    Who delivered it? A third-party transport company you arranged or Copart's own transport?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blizgius

punisher5112 What kind of examination are you talking about ? I wrote copart 3 days ago and once more the day before yesterday and I haven't got an answer yet (suprise). I will wait for a reply till monday. Who would be the main dealer in Ireland ? I am in north Dublin, swords specificly ? maybe contacting Bikeworld would take a look into the ecu or ask them if the ecu holds that kind of information ( for 2016 bike would be crazy if it didn't) If they don't answer how would i come about to contact UK police ? I had third party delivering the bike to me. Copart provide only mainland deliveries (UK, Northern Ireland) Any advice would be handy of what should I do in this situation. Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Does the reg number check out..?? you could get a vehicle check done on line.....Its a huge operation, cant believe theyd sell a stolen/ringer..Do everything you can to get your money back before you do anything legal...they could just close shop and youd get nothing..and have the bike seized..
    There was another BIG breaker done for selling stolen parts couple of years ago,theyre still in business tho...

Just thinking there...could it be stolen recovered..??..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/112931569008?clk_rvr_id=1498634619721&lgeo=1&vectorid=229508&testparam2=testvalue2_replaced&item=112931569008&testparam3=testvalue3&rmvSB=true

Briefly looking in to the vin and registration, they have the same first registered day. That's all about i can go on. there is not much information i can get online. Them sites who offer to pay for information, i payed for it before buying this motorcycle, it didn't provide any more information that i could find out by myself for free.

Well if it could be stolen recovered, it would be clascified as stolen recovered. In the auction this bike was titled as U - Used Unrecorded. If it was recovered i would guess there would be some paperwork from copart that's it's been stolen before or something like that and i would have no problem getting the vin/ engine number restamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Look up the location of coparts office and then phone the location division in that county

Details here

https://www.police.uk/contact/#alternative-numbers

Blizgius wrote: »
    Well if it could be stolen recovered, it would be clascified as stolen recovered. In the auction this bike was titled as U - Used Unrecorded. If it was recovered i would guess there would be some paperwork from copart that's it's been stolen before or something like that and i would have no problem getting the vin/ engine number restamped.

Did they know it was being exported..??

• Advertisement

Am not sure. It's an auction site, they don't give a **** where does it go. Once i got the bike i contacted them about v5, they told me there wasn't any documents with the bike telling me i should just apply for v5

Am not sure. It's an auction site, they don't give a **** where does it go. Once i got the bike i contacted them about v5, they told me there wasn't any documents with the bike telling me i should just apply for v5

That's stolen so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not entirely encouraging but I found this review of them online, looks like they've been brought to court for similar acts.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/copart.co.uk

Weirdly, this American newspaper mentions Copart in the US, but they also seem to be for online vehicle auctions

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/09/storm-surge-beware-of-title-washed-cars/

If it were me, I'd get on to the phone now and ask for your money back and consult a lawyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Not entirely encouraging but I found this review of them online, looks like they've been brought to court for similar acts.

https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/copart.co.uk

Weirdly, this American newspaper mentions Copart in the US, but they also seem to be for online vehicle auctions

https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/09/storm-surge-beware-of-title-washed-cars/

If it were me, I'd get on to the phone now and ask for your money back and consult a lawyer.

Plenty of negative comments on those reviews. Thanks.

Yeah I know because that's how it works. It's very hard to see what your buying from the pictures when you don't see it for yourself. Yeah Copart is a big business they have auctions around the world. Us/uk/roi/uae and so on.

I was thinking that..its easier over there in situations like this..you should ring the DVLA and ask advice..

Yeah will do. I have busy week ahead of me. Now it's the weekend, i will see what i can do and start looking for answers on monday.

More then likely it is now owned by the original owners insurance and they will either want it or the money they paid out.

You won't be able to clear here or get a V5 so it really shouldn't have been bought without a V5 anyway.

I would suggest contacting the police and also the site.
    Did you pay by card?
    If yes contact your provider and tell them also.

In first i didn't panic too much when i heard there is no v5, since you can apply for one if you lost it or didn't get it no problem, i was more thinking they sent it out as a change of owner to my name. like we do here in Ireland. Like i said i contacted them, i have received no answer yet, i did transfer the money to them by card, the money has obviously sent out i don't think the bank would be able to help me out at this point.

In first i didn't panic too much when i heard there is no v5, since you can apply for one if you lost it or didn't get it no problem, i was more thinking they sent it out as a change of owner to my name. like we do here in Ireland. Like i said i contacted them, i have received no answer yet, i did transfer the money to them by card, the money has obviously sent out i don't think the bank would be able to help me out at this point.

They should be able to hold it as it's fraud. I would suggest contacting them right now to report it. Garda might also be a good idea to get in touch with for advice as they may have come across this before I'm sure.

A new owner can't send off for a V5 same as here it would be previous owner unless you are in a dealership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They should be able to hold it as it's fraud. I would suggest contacting them right now to report it. Garda might also be a good idea to get in touch with for advice as they may have come across this before I'm sure.

A new owner can't send off for a V5 same as here it would be previous owner unless you are in a dealership.

If you contact the Gardaí and say that you have a stolen bike they'll take it off you and you loose out on your money and bike.

OP contact your card issuer and start a charge back for stolen goods. It'll either get you a proper answer why the bike has no VIN or your money back

• Registered Users Posts: 33,857 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No V5 means don't buy.

Don't ever buy something that doesn't have a log book it's the first and last red flag.

Can be someone else's problem nothings ever cheap enough for that headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Also if you have no V5 the only way to get one is to arrange to get it inspected and an interview in either Coleraine or Lisburn last time I was looking into similar. During the inspection they verify its the right vehicle so with everything rubbed out don't think you would get very far there either.

Any update on this...just nosey..:)

Alright. So i contacted bikeworld and megabikes to see if they can see if there is a vin on the ecu. They said some bikes do some dont and asking me 65 euro to use their equipment (lol). I wrote on yamaha forums and found out that it doesnt hold info about the bike. I went to the bank they said there is nothing they can do since i recieved the bike. I looked up the reg and the vin on hmi or something like that for 5 pounds they told me a lot even the engine number i was missing. I can make out few letters and numbers on the engine but not fully. The ones one the website seem to match what i have as well. So i sent out the v756 form yesterday out with the details. If i get the document i am pritty much set. Ill try somehow to engrave the missing numbers on the engine and hopefully the vin plate is enough to vrt it. If so am all good

Did the hpi check not show it as stolen or stolen recovered etc.?

No it was all good from hpi check.

But still i dont understand why would someone grind the vin off and the engine number if its not stolen. Kinda wrecks my head why would someone do it. Maybe owned by leascing company? Previous owners 0 says on the check ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

No it was all good from hpi check.

If you paid for a HPI check, and ended up with what you have, then I'd be claiming against them too.

And definately put in a claim with your credit card company for being shipped stolen goods.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I'd be concerned that the plate on the bike came back clean but the plate didn't originally belong to your bike.

My friendly advice is to focus on getting your money back if you can at all. Even if you confirmed that this was the true identity of a stolen recovered bike, you'll have to move it on some other time. Even if you're prepared to sell it for much less than one with a clear history, you'll struggle to fake the VIN (and would probably still struggle to fool a trader). It will be really really difficult to sell on a bike like this even at a bargain price later. If you successfully reverse the deal, you will thank yourself later, IMHO.

In any case, I feel for you - it's a hard lesson to have to learn when you're talking about a decent pot of money for what should have been a solid bike. I hope you get it sorted one way or another.

Advertisement