Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

some sort of immobilizer

Options
  • 10-04-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

anyone fitted an immobilizer or some sort of anti test device

Was going to buy a Cobra immobilizer and see if I can get someone to fit it.

Then I thought about sticking in a fuel pump kill switch which may be simpler and just as effective.

It might all just be a comfort to myself as I think most self respecting thieves steal the keys !

I'VE ASKED THIS IN THE DIY FORUM NOW TOO, WHICH IS PROBABLY A BETTER FORUM
    MODS PLS REMOVE IF THIS IS IN THE WRONG SPOT

APOLS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Driving classic Alfa Romeos so someone trying to start my car is not an issue... (:P). right now the self flagellation is out of the way on to my reply..

I fitted a cheapo ebay alarm system to my classic primarily to add central locking but there was an immobilizer function whereby you added a relay to some circuit. My car had a mechanical fuel pump so I connected up the spark coil (on the 12v side : ) ). works fine. but to be honest if someone had 15 mins to look at this they would bypass the relay so I added a 2nd method.

Also ave a mid 90s Japanese import I've had since 1998 and fitted custom connector at the time with a 'jumper' cable.. I removed this 'jumper cable' when leaving the car; it kills the fuel pump and ignition coil... 20 years of plugging in and out and it still works fine... (on another point she had just reached classic insurance status too woo hoo).

IMO a well hidden kill switch is the way to go ... even connecting a relay to the indicator stalk such that the starter motor only fires when turning left might be an idea or a combination of buttons etc... ;)

it just about making it awkward for a would be thief but convenient to you imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As OP has posted in DIY I am closing this thread
    Please continue here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106690684

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement