Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it difficult to install an immobilizer

• 10-04-2018 11:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭

mid 90's MX5

Thinking of putting in a fob or remote immobilizer or a simple fuel pump kill switch.

Any thoughts?

(Ive asked this also in the Classics forum but its better suited here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Kill switch is better than electronics as it won't flatten the battery or become obsolete in 5 years , I used to use a dummy factory switch , such as heated seat, interior light etc , two heated rear window switches, although there are some relays you can use which won't close until you earth them with a damp finger on a hidden chrome touch button, mounted under the seat or dash.

These battery isolaters are good , If you take the green part away the battery is isolated , or if you just loosen it , but the thief can still tighten it if you just loosen it . Added benefit of keeping battery up.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Classic-Car-Parts-Battery-Isolater-Cut-Off-Security-Anti-Theft-Switch/263562860647?hash=item3d5d921867:g:8J8AAOSwoFZasppi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

your care is a bit new for my trick but I pop the distributor cap off and take the rotor with me :D

have one of those cheap ebay trackers too but they need prepaid sim keeping topped up and drain the battery.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

I used a RFID immobiliser purcharsed on ebay to kill ground wire in the car starter. Hiding wire carefully and it seems no one can see, and really impossible to find. When place the RFID card near the receiver of the immobiliser then ground of the starter closees allowing the car to start. Car wont start without the RFID key card.
    I was thinking to kill fuel pump as well but it might not be safe as it would accidently kill fuel pump while driving :)?

toyotafan wrote: »
    I used a RFID immobiliser purcharsed on ebay to kill ground wire in the car starter. Hiding wire carefully and it seems no one can see, and really impossible to find. When place the RFID card near the receiver of the immobiliser then ground of the starter closees allowing the car to start. Car wont start without the RFID key card.
    I was thinking to kill fuel pump as well but it might not be safe as it would accidently kill fuel pump while driving :)?

A determined knowledgable thief will push start the car if he sees ignition lights on , so I'd wire up the pump too.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 137 ✭✭toyotafan

Bigus wrote: »
    A determined knowledgable thief will push start the car if he sees ignition lights on , so I'd wire up the pump too.

Not sure for other cars, in my case, although the ignition lights is on, the car wont start as the starter is immobilised unless I place the RFID card to the receiver. I would say that it would not be easy to find where my car was immobilised, as a thief would want to take the car as quick as possible.

In my head, cutting the pump is great. However, ....think there is a risk for immobilising the pump using an after market immobiliser. If there was a fault with the immobiliser itself while the car was running (i.e. on motorway at high speed), it would disable the pump thus would kill the car completely causing a possible accident ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I have previously fitted hidden kill switch up under the dash, you'd nearly need to be double-jointed to get at it and it was wired in to kill the ECU 12v feed so it would have taken a serious amount of dismantling the dash and tracing wires to find it and hook it up again.

Advertisement