Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First home purchase disaster

Options
  • 09-04-2018 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

So I found a place to buy quite a few weeks ago. I'm on my own buying for the first time. Placed my bid. Accepted by the seller. Ad taken down. Deposit paid. Got a solicitor involved. Got an engineer in. My auctioneer asked me to ask the bank for a specific valuer to do the valuation. I did this. Valuation was done and paid for. Bank says that all forms ready to be signed next week. All done .......???
    I still have alerts set up on Daft - today new place is advertised in the same area I'm buying in. Curiosity leads me to check it out... It's "my apartment"... The seller went with a new auctioneer. No warning. Nothing!!!
    Higher price. Out of my price range. To top it off the new auctioneer is the valuer that the bank/I requested - conflict of interest there surely??
    Is this fair / just?
    I've spent money between valuation and engineer on a place I was never in the running for!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Has your solicitor been in contact with the vendors solicitor yet?
    If so, get them to ask what's going on.
    Also worth raising it with the original estate agent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ESMA

I need to speak to the solicitor yet. Hopefully they can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

I'm at roughly the same stage in the process (everything else done, just waiting for all the solicitors to get their various bits sorted) and you're describing my biggest worry about my own purchase. I've been warned by my solicitor and my broker that the only thing that stands in the way of this happening is the vendors morals, in your situation the original agent has also been screwed over so seconding the advice to get on to them for an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Would it be worth talking to the valuer, basically get them to drop it. Tell them you will make a complaint to their professional body and to the bank. They are on the banks approved valuers list and could be seen to be abusing it by seeking business from vendors of properties they value.
    This is also taking business off the bank because who ever buys it now my not take out a mortgage with them. Make an appointment to see the bank manger. At the very least they could phone them to hear their side of it as you are about to lodge a complaint with them.

Would it be worth talking to the valuer, basically get them to drop it. Tell them you will make a complaint to their professional body and to the bank. They are on the banks approved valuers list and could be seen to be abusing it by seeking business from vendors of properties they value.
    This is also taking business off the bank because who ever buys it now my not take out a mortgage with them. Make an appointment to see the bank manger. At the very least they could phone them to hear their side of it as you are about to lodge a complaint with them.
    These are some really good points. I have just contacted the bank to bring this to their attention. Thank you - I will follow up on all of this. Do you know who the professional body for this would be? Not to worry if not I'll try search for it.

• Advertisement

I'm at roughly the same stage in the process (everything else done, just waiting for all the solicitors to get their various bits sorted) and you're describing my biggest worry about my own purchase. I've been warned by my solicitor and my broker that the only thing that stands in the way of this happening is the vendors morals, in your situation the original agent has also been screwed over so seconding the advice to get on to them for an update.
    I sincerely hope this does not happen to you - it's very gutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Can the new buyers get a new valuer?

I'm just worried your wasting your energy, the house isn't your until you sign contracts. I don't think the sellers are likely to change their decision not to sell to you.

I'm not saying what happened is fair.

GingerLily wrote: »
    Can the new buyers get a new valuer?

I'm just worried your wasting your energy, the house isn't your until you sign contracts. I don't think the sellers are likely to change their decision not to sell to you.

I'm not saying what happened is fair.
    There is so much corruption with the valuer in this instance - I don't feel I am wasting my time if I point out the flaws and corruption in the system - I might not get the apartment I wanted in the end but I don't feel people should be allowed to screw you over without it being significantly highlighted. Otherwise the system continues to screw people over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sorry to hear about this. If it was me, I'd have contacted the bank to complain like you did, and then moved on. I wouldn't want to have any further dealings with either the vendor or valuer. I presume also the previous estate agent is hopping mad, and I'd probably contact them to let them know the new EA is the valuer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Have they still got your deposit also? They sound so shady I wouldn't be surprised if you have a fight on your hands to get that back. Good luck with it, and I am sorry to hear you are going through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

ESMA wrote: »
    My auctioneer asked me to ask the bank for a specific valuer to do the valuation. I did this. Valuation was done and paid for.

The bank usually has their own list of people that do valuations on their behalf? It is absolutely not up to the EA to tell you who to approach to do a valuation for your bank - that is very odd - it is not in the banks interest to do this.

Is your EA registered with the PSRA? Also, is the new EA registered? you can check here to see if they have the appropriate license:

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en"

hdowney wrote: »
    Have they still got your deposit also? They sound so shady I wouldn't be surprised if you have a fight on your hands to get that back. Good luck with it, and I am sorry to hear you are going through this.
    Still to get deposit back. I will start naming all parties involved if I don't get deposit and all expenses back. It's just too shady to let it go.

justagirl wrote: »
    The bank usually has their own list of people that do valuations on their behalf? It is absolutely not up to the EA to tell you who to approach to do a valuation for your bank - that is very odd - it is not in the banks interest to do this.

Is your EA registered with the PSRA? Also, is the new EA registered? you can check here to see if they have the appropriate license:

http://www.psr.ie/website/npsra/npsraweb.nsf/page/publicregister-reg-of-propserv-prov-en"
    Unfortunately, being a little new to this, I accepted the auctioneers advise to appoint a valuer (if they were on the banks list of valuers) He said this would make the process quicker as the valuer lives nearby and could get it done quicker. Unfortunately, on hindsight, this was a terrible recommendation but it made sense to me at the time.

Unfortunately, being a little new to this, I accepted the auctioneers advise to appoint a valuer (if they were on the banks list of valuers) He said this would make the process quicker as the valuer lives nearby and could get it done quicker. Unfortunately, on hindsight, this was a terrible recommendation but it made sense to me at the time.

It is not your fault ... I'm surprised the bank that was lending you the money used a valuer you suggested - but if he is on their list of preferred valuers - that might be the reason.

Firstly, please check the link to the register to see if these EA are licensed (and any future EA you bid on a property with) ......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Have you talked to the auctioneer you were dealing with originally? He must be livid too because he's now lost a sale to someone who he was giving business to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Have you been told that the sale is off or is it just the add you saw this morning?

justagirl wrote: »
    It is not your fault ... I'm surprised the bank that was lending you the money used a valuer you suggested - but if he is on their list of preferred valuers - that might be the reason.

Firstly, please check the link to the register to see if these EA are licensed (and any future EA you bid on a property with) ......
    Hi, yes I've checked the register thanks - and they are on it.

Sale is off - I was never really told - I just had to assume with the new ad up. My auctioneer said he is refunding my deposit. I spoke to the new auctioneer and he is not willing to accept he is at fault here even though he did the valuation and advised me what engineer to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Sorry for the predicament you find yourself in - sounds scandalous and disgraceful, even if not illegal.

Can I ask what you mean by "your estate agent"? Surely as a purchaser (I didn't get the impression you were selling as well) you'd only have been dealing with the vendor's EA?

I'm just curious, sorry if a bit O/T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭Banterbus28

You could make a civil claim for damages...

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Sorry for the predicament you find yourself in - sounds scandalous and disgraceful, even if not illegal.

Can I ask what you mean by "your estate agent"? Surely as a purchaser (I didn't get the impression you were selling as well) you'd only have been dealing with the vendor's EA?

I'm just curious, sorry if a bit O/T.
    Hi, not sure where 'estate agent' came into context. I didn't mention estate agent - it must have been meant to be auctioneer instead - it appeared from a comment on the thread - sorry for confusion.

Who would I do this through? A solicitor? Would it cost me more than what I would get back?

Sale is off - I was never really told - I just had to assume with the new ad up. My auctioneer said he is refunding my deposit. I spoke to the new auctioneer and he is not willing to accept he is at fault here even though he did the valuation and advised me what engineer to use.

I am sorry to hear this. How much did the valuer/new auctioneer :mad: value the apartment for and was it for more than your accepted offer?

Had the vendor actually 'accepted' your offer? And had your solicitor received contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hi, not sure where 'estate agent' came into context. I didn't mention estate agent - it must have been meant to be auctioneer instead - it appeared from a comment on the thread - sorry for confusion.
    I'd consider them to be the same thing! Again wondering why you'd have an auctioneer if not selling?

(and again apologies for being O/T - I'm sure you have enough to be worrying about!)

Who would I do this through? A solicitor? Would it cost me more than what I would get back?

You can claim for the costs you incurred i.e. the valuer, engineer, loss of earnings for appointments in relation to house etc.

Talk to a solicitor.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd consider them to be the same thing! Again wondering why you'd have an auctioneer if not selling?

(and again apologies for being O/T - I'm sure you have enough to be worrying about!)
    The auctioneer is the guy I was buying off

You can claim for the costs you incurred i.e. the valuer, engineer, loss of earnings for appointments in relation to house etc.

Talk to a solicitor.
    Yes I must do this - thanks

Talk to a solicitor.
    Yes I must do this - thanks

Team up with the estate agent that got screwed as well. They will have lost commission etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I will start naming all parties involved if I don't get deposit and all expenses back.

Mod Note:

For the benefit of anyone that doesn't already know:

This is not the venue for 'naming and shaming'.

• Advertisement

The basis is that you were working on the assumption that the house was yours and they have behaved in bad faith by not telling you otherwise.

They have messed you about time to wipe the floor with them.

Advertisement