Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining Insurance: 24yo, Learner Permit, Inexpensive Vehicle

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Kh1993

Got insured as a learner for 2400 few months back, came down by a good amount once passed recently. Check AXA, First and AA I'd say.

Obviously if you can get in as a named driver, its cheaper. However some people can be unfortunate if you haven't a regular car to access (eg. parents don't have one). It's a lot easier to get people you know who have a licence to go driving with you sporadically then get insured as a named driver if you've no close relatives/partners to piggy back on their car and insurance.

One problem I found when just relying on lessons was that you waste at least 10/15 mins trying to get a feel of the car and driving again, especially if you're only managing one lesson a week. I wouldn't have passed without practice in my own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

cgcsb wrote: »
    It also takes months to get a test in this country. Technology could be used to restrict L drivers. Let them drive alone after 12 EDT lessons provided they get their cars tracked by GPS and that data is fed to the gardaí and the insurer, this way they won't be speeding, driving on motorways, you could even stop them driving at night and it'd be easily enforced. Compliance would be 100%
    Sure, we can put a micro chip in everyone's arms and monitor their movements too.........
    The insurance databases in Ireland are not connected to the Gardai databases at present, so your "solution" whilst makes sense is not practical in Ireland at present.

Isambard wrote: »
    that's simply not true. It's only Ireland where a Government officially said on a second Provisional you could drive unaccompanied and where this mindset lingers despite it no longer being the case. In the UK for instance it is almost unknown for people to drive unaccompanied , only those people who would break all the Laws anyway do so.

It's a law frequently broken in the UK. It may seem to be less so because 83% of the UK's population live in urban areas and the country is 3 times more densely populated than Ireland in general meaning that the vast majority of people have access to public transport services, which removes the incentive to break the law. Ireland has very poor density of population and 40% of us live in rural areas scattered to the four sheets of the wind, necessitating private transport.
    Your suggested link between breaking the law and density of population is interesting. A stronger link remains between breaking the law and getting away with it, whether living in a densely populated area or not is of lesser importance.

howiya wrote: »
    Completing your 12 lessons doesn't make you a qualified driver. Why is it only in this country we think unqualified drivers should be allowed on the road unaccompanied?
    Because the current laws are unenforceable, our spread out population makes us dependent on cars for employment and the months spent waiting on a test make it too difficult to plan one's life around.
    I think you mean that the relevant laws are unenforced not unenforceable. But is that really a justification to break the law?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

HonalD wrote: »
    Your suggested link between breaking the law and density of population is interesting. A stronger link remains between breaking the law and getting away with it, whether living in a densely populated area or not is of lesser importance.
    i wonder how much of a link there is between likelihood of getting caught in a remote rural area vs. likelihood of being caught in a more heavily populated area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,710 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

going slightly off topic - legally, what are the responsibilities of a fully qualified driver when accompanying a learner? what sort of circumstances are there where the law would place responsibility on the fully qualified driver in case of any issues?

i have a vague memory that the requirement for the accompanying driver to be sober is implied rather than explicit in law?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,321 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It also takes months to get a test in this country. Technology could be used to restrict L drivers. Let them drive alone after 12 EDT lessons provided they get their cars tracked by GPS and that data is fed to the gardaí and the insurer, this way they won't be speeding, driving on motorways, you could even stop them driving at night and it'd be easily enforced. Compliance would be 100%
    A tech solution would be better focused on enforcement of current laws. ANPR*, linked to owner database.

*along with tax, insurance, nct, speeding, bus lanes, red lights etc etc etc.

Advertisement