Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AI Senior Hurling- Liam McCarthy Cup 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Another year of the same drivel from that lad after every kilkenny match

Why are their games refereed differently than every other team?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

Lads in here giving out about the ref, perhaps now ye have a glimpse what it's like to be on the receiving end of a Dublin Joe special in Croke Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Why are their games refereed differently than every other team?

<On second thought, I'm not going there>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

TrueGael wrote: »
    Lads in here giving out about the ref, perhaps now ye have a glimpse what it's like to be on the receiving end of a Dublin Joe special in Croke Park

Difference is that when we sober up, we see that actually Kirwan was not part of some conspiracy! We won't be harping on about it in 2034 :)

Move on, it will be good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

Concerning Kirwans awful performance from start to finish, there's only one reason the majority of posters are even mentioning it and that's due to Dublin losing.

There were plenty of kilkenny complaining about the referee as well, it has nothing to do with the result of the game, are you seriously trying to suggest that Kirwan was anything other than brutal???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

The ref wasn’t good yesterday for both teams- he got the goal wrong at the end but rush barged for one of Dublin’s goals as well- swings in round abouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Gentleman Off The Pitch

danganabu wrote: »
    There were plenty of kilkenny complaining about the referee as well, it has nothing to do with the result of the game, are you seriously trying to suggest that Kirwan was anything other than brutal???

No.
    My point is that had Kilkenny lost, any attempt to discuss the awful refereeing would be mainly done by Kilkenny supporters, and as has happened in the past, would in the main, be dismissed as Kilkenny posters not being able to take a beating. Since the perceived underdog came very close to winning, discussing the referees performance is now fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In fairness dangan you're in the wrong here. He did note that the performance was awful from start to finish and yet you said in your first response that he had implied it was something other than brutal.

It's very hard to argue that if dublin had won and kk fans were on here complaining about the same refereeing performance, we would not be totally eviscerated for it. Of course we would. Rightly so. The ref was so bad yesterday that trying to pick out one **** decision he made that somehow turned the game requires you to ignore twenty other decisions that turned it the other way. He was septic.

Dublin played better than kk but they ultimately didn't hold their nerve. They could bring on a few steady, competent older heads to finish things up, but we could bring on Paul Murphy and Colin fennelly, multiple all star and all Ireland winners. And when you have that kind of record you have a belief that is hard to overcome. The kk team never panicked, even after playing the first half as headlessly as anything we saw last year. Like they'd never seen a sweeper before. Shows you the gap between league and championship.

Great atmosphere in the stadium by all accounts, nobody will ever want to play Dublin in Parnell, if they can get a win next week they will have serious momentum.

In fairness dangan you're in the wrong here. He did note that the performance was awful from start to finish and yet you said in your first response that he had implied it was something other than brutal.

You are right, Im not sure how I missed that part of his original post..........mondays dont suit me, having a mare as they say :-)

Apologies Gentleman Off the Pitch

• Advertisement

Motion to throw Rearg Dearg out of Dublin hurling temporarily suspended.

Was great atmosphere. Think the suits might have called this one right. Bums on seats. Well only stripey bottoms yesterday as Dublin county pass holders were barred from stand. A few old boys still complaining about their backs.

You are right, Im not sure how I missed that part of his original post..........mondays dont suit me, having a mare as they say :-)

Apologies Gentleman Off the Pitch

Not like Tipp hurlers to be drinking on a Monday morning.

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Not like Tipp hurlers to be drinking on a Monday morning.

I'm usually fine when Im drinking its when I stop that things get a little cloudy :D

as I said, Cody was in their ear

32332563_1049623445189071_3495039335156154368_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=52716bb1a4c8b614f036d15cc586cbb7&oe=5B4F836C

as I said, Cody was in their ear

32332563_1049623445189071_3495039335156154368_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=52716bb1a4c8b614f036d15cc586cbb7&oe=5B4F836C
    Why anyone would take your opinion on hurling seriously I'll never know. But rest assured nobody here does.

Why anyone would take your opinion on hurling seriously I'll never know. But rest assured nobody here does.

more hurling snobbery

eg Why wasn't Paul Murphy shown a card for a blatant strike with the hurley to the faceguard of a Dublin player after he was introduced?

more hurling snobbery
    This coming from the lad who once told me that people from hurling counties shouldn't be allowed to comment on football.

This coming from the lad who once told me that people from hurling counties shouldn't be allowed to comment on football.

really? seeing as I played and coach both sports I doubt I took that view
    anyway, how are your county football team getting on?
    Cavan even managed to develop a hurling team

Anyway back in grown-up land, there's a bunch of really interesting fixtures this weekend. Be interesting to hear how people from the counties involved think it will go.

Wexford and Dublin will be really interesting, but probably awful on the eye. Hard to see how Dublin pick themselves up so quickly after last weekend, a match they were obviously targeting since the fixtures were announced. Be difficult for them away from home and their forwards will get plenty of it from the Wexford backs (Rushe looked very threatening though, but I think Davy has the reading of that type of player). I think Wexford to win by four.

Kilkenny V Offaly is hard to get too excited about. Offaly showed they have some strong hurlers with plenty of hunger when they shocked Dublin in the league (the only match of theirs I've seen in its entirety unfortunately), but looking at the Galway match highlights at the weekend it looks like the top teams just have an extra gear on them. Kilkenny struggled last week with a sweeper but Offaly looked a bit more naive of an outfit defending against Galway and I think Kilkenny (especially if they have Hogan back) will be too much for them. Kilkenny by six for me.

Cork V Clare...I just can't call this. It seems like it could go either way, really interested in people's view of this one, on paper it looks like it could be a cracker. I'm going to go for a draw in normal time just because I'm chickening out of making a prediction.

Limerick V Tipp, Limerick look to be a much improved side, Nap Players slotting in, promotion out of 1B...they're playing a more disciplined game than in years past. But just looking at it on paper and the kind of skill the Tipp lads have playing direct hurling, they are hard to beat any day for any team. I hope I'm wrong but Tipp by four.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭billyhead

I agree with all of your results apart from the limerick game as I really fancy them to have a big impact this year on the championship starting with a win on Sunday. I would love them to win the Ai. Not only due to strong Limerick blood in me but they have possibly the best supporter's in the country whom are starved of success.

• Advertisement

billyhead wrote: »
    I agree with all of your results apart from the limerick game as I really fancy them to have a big impact this year on the championship starting with a win on Sunday. I would love them to win the Ai. Not only due to strong Limerick blood in me but they have possibly the best supporter's in the country whom are starved of success.

I hope you're right, but they have promised and disappointed a lot in the past. I agree, would be great to see them win an AI, they were very much the permanent bridesmaid in the 90s and it is far too long of a famine at this stage for a hurling county to endure.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Very hard to know how Limerick - Tipp will go. Limerick have some serious young players coming through and I think they'll have a great chance to win the Mccarthy Cup over the next 2/3 years. Tipp have a lot of players coming back from injury and its not always easy to get upto championship pace right away. There was nothing between them in the league and with the game in the gaelic grounds I can see why alot of people fancy Limerick for this one. I just think the experience of the tipp lads will get them over the line by a point or two.

The munster championship has the potential to be fantastic, most games I'd make 50/50. Leinster seems alot more straightforward. I'd expect kk to win by 10 this weekend and wexford by 5.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Very hard to know how Limerick - Tipp will go. Limerick have some serious young players coming through and I think they'll have a great chance to win the Mccarthy Cup over the next 2/3 years. Tipp have a lot of players coming back from injury and its not always easy to get upto championship pace right away. There was nothing between them in the league and with the game in the gaelic grounds I can see why alot of people fancy Limerick for this one. I just think the experience of the tipp lads will get them over the line by a point or two.

The munster championship has the potential to be fantastic, most games I'd make 50/50. Leinster seems alot more straightforward. I'd expect kk to win by 10 this weekend and wexford by 5.

Tyson you're correct re limericks young players even so you couldn't back against tipp as a limerick man it galls me to say it but traditionally you can't trust us however there seems to be something different about this crop so I think we've a chance the league was good for us and if it was to follow suit we'd be in a healthy position but I'm kind of nervous are our improvements real after seeing dub v Kk Sunday I think and hope they are. What I'd give to come out of Gaelic grounds Sunday with a win but if that can't be done a performance that suggests it's close might suffice so that'd we'd have hope for the next 3 games afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭MfMan

Certainly Cork/Clare is a hard one to call and its result may provide some insight into how Meyler is progressing with the Cork squad in the absence of Kingston. While the KK/Dub game may suggest that the league has no bearing on the c'ship, I still think to an extent that there's 'no smoke without fire', that Cork and Waterford have regressed a bit since last year; for this reason, I had tipped both not to emerge from Munster. On this basis I'll go for Clare on Sunday.

Lk/Tip is also hard to call and the home side will be razor keen to storm out of the blocks. Yet, if Galway were minding their business they would have done a number on them in Pearse stadium; similarly Clare really let the league quarter final slip away rather than Lk winning it. Tipp's explosive scoring potential should see them through.

KK should have enough in hand *at home* to beat Offaly, who have some good stickmen.

Wx/Dub is a bit of like meeting like; again, home advantage is big here, and Dublin don't look to have the resources to be without Keaney or any other first choice player at this level.

Anyway back in grown-up land, there's a bunch of really interesting fixtures this weekend. Be interesting to hear how people from the counties involved think it will go.

A lot of very worried people in Tipp about this game to be honest.

If Im perfectly honest myself I'm not overly worried and think we will win, maybe not comfortably but without much panic. If history has taught us anything is that Limerick are at their worst when expectations are high and Tipp are at thier best when the expectations have been lowered slightly.

Tipp have problems at full back, wing back and finding a settled mid field partner for Brendan Maher. But all are fixable imo, Barry has looked extremely vunrable but to be fair to him the cover in front of him has been poor and when Padraic Maher plays centre back Tipp look more exposed, Ronan should return there and Tipp look more solid when he plays at 6 and Padraic at 7. Barry to be fair has never let us down on the bigger days, last years Galway game a perfect example of where there were serious question marks being asked and he undoubtedly gave his best performance of the year. Flanagan looks really promising but also awful green he will need to be a lot more clinical than he was in the league semi, and indeed in the U21 game v Clare.

The second wing back spot is still a question mark with Barry Heffernan seemingly the man in possession of the jersey, I remain to be convinced to be honest and dont think he is aggressive enough or dominating enough, Paudie Feehan looked a real contender to me but seems to have fallen down the pecking order, Seamus Kennedy is woefully out of form and the only other viable option who I actually think would be the best is Joe ( Mouse) O'Dwyer but he has missed a lot of hurling through injury, I expect Heffernan to start and think Heggarty to get a lot of joy from him for the reasons above.

Who to partner Brendan is the other question mark and my prefernce would be Dan McCormack who woul dbe the perfect foil for Brendan, a bit like Eddie Enright used to do for Tommy Dunne - a classy hurler midfield is only as good as the lad beside him doing the heavey lifting if you like! Again the other options are Michael Breen, Seamus Keenedy and Noel MGrath, the former two are both out of form a good while and Noel is not the type of hurler needed, I much prefer Noel at centre forward dropping deep and pulling the centre back out of position or popping over points because the centre back holds the centre.

Overall I think there are far more question marks over Limerick and people are putting far too much stock into their league perfromance's, last week showed how futile that can be, but I will add that Kiely is definitely the right man for the job and has undoubtedly improved them, I just think the process may take another 14-24 months before they are at the top tier, I do however think they will qualify in the top 3 from Munster, which together with League promotion would be a good year for them.

P.S. I'm really getting giddy now about this 4 Munster Championship games in four weeks, back in the 70's/80's Tipp people had to wait 4 years for that and they all would be defeats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭lim4ev

A lot of very worried people in Tipp about this game to be honest.

If Im perfectly honest myself I'm not overly worried and think we will win, maybe not comfortably but without much panic. If history has taught us anything is that Limerick are at their worst when expectations are high and Tipp are at thier best when the expectations have been lowered slightly.

Tipp have problems at full back, wing back and finding a settled mid field partner for Brendan Maher. But all are fixable imo, Barry has looked extremely vunrable but to be fair to him the cover in front of him has been poor and when Padraic Maher plays centre back Tipp look more exposed, Ronan should return there and Tipp look more solid when he plays at 6 and Padraic at 7. Barry to be fair has never let us down on the bigger days, last years Galway game a perfect example of where there were serious question marks being asked and he undoubtedly gave his best performance of the year. Flanagan looks really promising but also awful green he will need to be a lot more clinical than he was in the league semi, and indeed in the U21 game v Clare.

The second wing back spot is still a question mark with Barry Heffernan seemingly the man in possession of the jersey, I remain to be convinced to be honest and dont think he is aggressive enough or dominating enough, Paudie Feehan looked a real contender to me but seems to have fallen down the pecking order, Seamus Kennedy is woefully out of form and the only other viable option who I actually think would be the best is Joe ( Mouse) O'Dwyer but he has missed a lot of hurling through injury, I expect Heffernan to start and think Heggarty to get a lot of joy from him for the reasons above.

Who to partner Brendan is the other question mark and my prefernce would be Dan McCormack who woul dbe the perfect foil for Brendan, a bit like Eddie Enright used to do for Tommy Dunne - a classy hurler midfield is only as good as the lad beside him doing the heavey lifting if you like! Again the other options are Michael Breen, Seamus Keenedy and Noel MGrath, the former two are both out of form a good while and Noel is not the type of hurler needed, I much prefer Noel at centre forward dropping deep and pulling the centre back out of position or popping over points because the centre back holds the centre.

Overall I think there are far more question marks over Limerick and people are putting far too much stock into their league perfromance's, last week showed how futile that can be, but I will add that Kiely is definitely the right man for the job and has undoubtedly improved them, I just think the process may take another 14-24 months before they are at the top tier, I do however think they will qualify in the top 3 from Munster, which together with League promotion would be a good year for them.

P.S. I'm really getting giddy now about this 4 Munster Championship games in four weeks, back in the 70's/80's Tipp people had to wait 4 years for that and they all would be defeats!!

Re your comments on Limerick I think they were fair you'd have to back tipp but if league form follows to championship we have a chance really hope we put in a performance a bad beating might not be recoverable for the next 3 matches after this game. Like you I can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can see Wexford-Dublin being dour enough for long stretches, but expect Wexford to eventually pull away down the home stretch on familiar ground.

Keaney is a big loss for Dublin, and while Rushe cut KK to ribbons the last day, I had forecasted that when I seen the line-up as I don't think KK's backs have improved commensurate to how the team as a whole have improved. Still vulnerable when directly ran at and haven't found a settled number 3.

Thinking about it, many of the "top-tier" counties have problems at full-back, but thankfully I think Wexford are fine in that area with Liam Ryan quietly becoming one of the best in the game in that position. He should have the physical strength to curb Rushe's directness. The sweeper should help here too.

At the other end, Crummy is one of the most under-rated wing-backs in the game (consistently among Dublin's best performers each day), and is coming into the game on the back of a MOTM award the last day. He has the height and ball-winning capability to completely nullify the aerial threat of Jack O'Connor, who was targeted from Wexford puck-outs for long chunks of the league. On that basis, I wouldn't start JOC as I feel he doesn't offer enough from general play if he doesn't have his tail up catching ball.

The route-one approach has traditionally been an Achilles heel for Wexford (and was last year versus Kilkenny in the Leinster semi), but perhaps the fact that Dublin have resorted to that tactic, and called a 35-year old out of retirement to be a key cog in it, points at them lacking the fire power up front otherwise. Maybe I have my purple and gold tinted glasses on here, but I feel the athleticism of Lee Chin, Rory O'Connor, Kevin Foley and Dee O'Keeffe should see the home team get the job done after a slog-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭C__MC

I don’t understand the GAA logic in relegating Offaly or Dublin-
    Serves no purpose for them in joe mc donagh cup?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

C__MC wrote: »

Well you could say the same about the top teams in the Joe McDonagh. There needs to be the possibility of promotion to provide incentive.

I do think though a better system would be for the two bottom group teams to play off in a relegation play off, with the loser then taking on the winner of the Joe McDonagh for a place in the championship.

Worst case scenario the team gets relegated and if they're good enough they'll win the Joe McDonagh and they'll be back in an all Ireland quarter final.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

C__MC wrote: »

Adds a bit of spark to the whole thing. Cody was going about it on Sunday, but it's not as if he is going to be losing sleep over ourselves or Offaly being relegated!

It is better system than weaker teams trotting out for embarrassing hidings. Whoever wins McDonagh deserves to get a chance.

Advertisement