Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My friend thinks she is going to live with her boyfriend in Abu Dhabi?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

seachto7 wrote: »
    I always carried my marriage certificate when travelling through uae. I’m a different race to my husband and we have different last names so I was particularly paranoid.

Abu Dhabi is the party town, Dubai is more conservative. Most of the Irish I knew that lived there hated it but made enough to get a deposit on a house back home.

This is what I was getting at. How many Irish do you know who learned the language or embraced the "culture". Very few I'd say. Most pics I see seem to be of people on the pi55 in the same types of places you'd find in Australia or other warm countries.

If you want to base your opinion on pictures and hearsay then that’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the money wasn't so good, do you think Irish people would be bothered going there?
    Many do. They go for a year, maybe two, and come back with their mortgage deposit.

And some stay for 10 or 20 years, and come back with the cash to buy a house and retire.
    Milly33 wrote: »
    It is a great experience, and have to say you learn a lot of respect for people and things.. People have this horrible attitude towards the Arabs and Indians and it is disgusting to see, nothing like a kick up the arse to show you what a privileged life we live.
    The Arabs of UAE bring in "guest workers" from many countries such as India, and treat them like fcuking sh|t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

HonalD wrote: »

I'm basing it on people who I know who have lived and worked there. None of them came back with any local culture. Zero.
    I'm just arguing my side as I was criticised earlier that people do go there to learn the local culture. They probably learn about it alright, but that's as far as it goes I'd say.

I'm sure it would be great place to go to save some money and how bad, you get to live the expat lifestyle for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,281 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok so I was talking to my friend who is 28 and her boyfriend the same, and she told me she is hoping to go to work in Abu Dhabi in September with her boyfriend. They are not married. They are both teachers and she told me they will be living together? And when I asked her if she was going to get married before she goes and she said no.
    Is this not illegal, and you can get in big trouble over it if she is caught? I asked her if she thinks she's gonna be living in the same way she lives in Ireland, be able to hold hands, kiss, live together, sleep in the same bed, have intercourse. And she said yeah why Not?
    Is she completely deluded because I think she is? I think she sees it as the same as Australia or something. I am just worried that she goes over and gets in big trouble. I don't think she realises what's illegal over there.

yup

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭daedal

Pretend one of ye are a live in care assistant for the other. Buy a wheelchair, you decided which one of ye will be the carer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Ok so I was talking to my friend who is 28 and her boyfriend the same, and she told me she is hoping to go to work in Abu Dhabi in September with her boyfriend. They are not married. They are both teachers and she told me they will be living together? And when I asked her if she was going to get married before she goes and she said no.
    Is this not illegal, and you can get in big trouble over it if she is caught? I asked her if she thinks she's gonna be living in the same way she lives in Ireland, be able to hold hands, kiss, live together, sleep in the same bed, have intercourse. And she said yeah why Not?
    Is she completely deluded because I think she is? I think she sees it as the same as Australia or something. I am just worried that she goes over and gets in big trouble. I don't think she realises what's illegal over there.

Things are a lot slacker in the tourist areas. If you are working outside of those they are a lot stricter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

HonalD wrote: »

I'm basing it on people who I know who have lived and worked there. None of them came back with any local culture. Zero.
    I'm just arguing my side as I was criticised earlier that people do go there to learn the local culture. They probably learn about it alright, but that's as far as it goes I'd say.

I'm sure it would be great place to go to save some money and how bad, you get to live the expat lifestyle for a while.

That’s cool - I don’t know of many people who travel to another country with learning the culture as a primary objective. I know a couple - who live in South Sudan and Lebanon but it’s an opportunity to learn about Arabic life and Islam if that’s what you’re into.

Certainly,the days of earning easy money disappeared with the recession in 07-08 as the amount of FDI propping up Dubai, for example, is significant and there is a noticeable fall in the number of American/European expats in UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

the_syco wrote: »
    Many do. They go for a year, maybe two, and come back with their mortgage deposit.

And some stay for 10 or 20 years, and come back with the cash to buy a house and retire.

The Arabs of UAE bring in "guest workers" from many countries such as India, and treat them like fcuking sh|t.

Or often bring them from Pakistan or poorer Arab nations and still treat even their co-religionists as slaves.

Advertisement