Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I don't suppose the travel pass gets you a reserved seat on the Enterprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I don't suppose the travel pass gets you a reserved seat on the Enterprise.

Your lucky to get any seat on the Enterprise to Dublin. It’s fairly full most of the time and passengers on the train already are very reluctant to move their belongings off empty seats. But you have every chance of a seat on the return trip if you turn up early enough at Connolly. Part of the problem is 1/3 of the train is empty (first class)

* I know reserved seats are advertised for sale but I don’t think Translink have then in their system so it would probably be a waste of money anyway.

** theres a whole thread on boards about reserved seats and passengers not able to access them as IE often don’t put up reserved status on the particular seat.

Last time I was on the Enterprise our names were on cards on the wall over the seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Last time I was on the Enterprise our names were on cards on the wall over the seats.

It has become let's say 'somewhat hit or miss'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    No. I was instructed by the guy in my local DART station ( when there was a guy there), to place the pass on the validator, have my wife go through and go through myself without representing the pass. Validator shows up plus 1 on the screen.

Yes but it doesn't actually register that 2 went through.

• Advertisement

Out of curiosity ex Dublin or ex Belfast?

I have also recently discovered that reserved seats are Red in the Enterprise and Green on IE

Yes but it doesn't actually register that 2 went through.

Which really doesn't matter.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Out of curiosity ex Dublin or ex Belfast?

I have also recently discovered that reserved seats are Red in the Enterprise and Green on IE

From Dublin to Belfast.

I never noticed any change in colour of the seats.

Which really doesn't matter.

Of course it does as how can you know exact numbers traveling.

A person with a companion pass is not meant to travel alone.

Surely a person with a companion pass (or indeed a spouse pass) doesn't always have to have a companion? Does that mean when my husband wants to go to town on the bus that I have to go with him? I have to say I doubt that very much.

• Advertisement

It registers : 'Validator shows up plus 1 on the screen.'

Some stations have the gates open anyway, so nothing is registered on them.

It registers : 'Validator shows up plus 1 on the screen.'

Some stations have the gates open anyway, so nothing is registered on them.

You should still tag on even if open.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, you do not have to have a partner, its an option.

Here is a screenshot of terms.

Here is a screenshot of terms.

It's a term that you are assesd that you can not travel alone....

Ok, I see that's what it says. So that means a travel pass +C is really only for incapacitated people. There must be a different free travel pass for single people. What does that link say about free travel pass +S? Does the spouse always have to accompany their OH? Where is that link from by the way?

There are two things going on here. The discussion was how a person and the approved person with him/her got through the barrier.

It is possible to have a pass that can be used with/without partner (that's what it says on the pass I have here in front of me).

There is also a situation where a person needs a companion for medical/safety etc reasons, a companion pass. In that case it would be logical that a person in that condition would have the companion with them, and possible that it is imperative. I am not sure, and it does not make any difference to the discussion on how two people go through a barrier with one pass.

As for stats, well the average punter is not overly concerned about facilitating bean counters, if the barrier is open then any reasonable person would go through it with no further fuss.

Edit - my pass also says 'with/without spouse, civil partner/cohabitant' I am widowed and no one has suggested that I should get a different pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

It's a term that you are assesd that you can not travel alone....

You appear to be confusing two different schemes for free travel, one is for free travel of the spouse aged under 66 of a person over 66, the other is for the companion of a person who cannot travel alone.

See 3.4 and 3.5 on the attached.

From Dublin to Belfast.

I never noticed any change in colour of the seats.

:) the seats are the same colour, the illuminated sign that indicates booked seats shows red is booked on the Enterprise and green is booked on intercity trains.
    Ok, I see that's what it says. So that means a travel pass +C is really only for incapacitated people. There must be a different free travel pass for single people. What does that link say about free travel pass +S? Does the spouse always have to accompany their OH? Where is that link from by the way?

I have used expressway on my own more than once. +S just means your spouse is entitled to free travel with you, (but not on their own). If you are traveling alone it’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

have my bus pass but better yet I have my blue pass for the car too. YIPPEE

• Advertisement

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    You appear to be confusing two different schemes for free travel, one is for free travel of the spouse aged under 66 of a person over 66, the other is for the companion of a person who cannot travel alone.

See 3.4 and 3.5 on the attached.

Eh no I'm not confused or confusing it it's there in black and white if you want I can link the actual part I posted.

If one qualified for a companion pass then they are deemed to need a companion to travel with them for the reasons they gave for the pass in the first place.

There are very strict rules and guide lines but to be honest from some of the stuff I've seen there are plenty that seem to get through....

Fully aware not all disabilities are visual as in that can be seen and many other reasons.

I've absolutely no issue with genuine cases whatsoever and back the system to a degree but what one can qualify under is now so broad it's getting out of hand.

I have come across many young and old abusing the system while bringing their mates etc on their spouse pass.

P on a pass is single as in pass holder only and the amount that try to use this to bring mates on is done quite regularly.

S is spouse, cohabitant, civil partner.

Companion over 16 years of age.
    Thing with these now kids have them and try to bring their mates as a companion when we'll under 16.

So much abuse is widespread and even with the new ones.

Punisher, you give the impression that you would like to use the thread to grouse about perceived issues and injustices with the system, and you keep moving the goalposts about which kind of pass you are discussing.

This is a thread which could offer useful information to people, please keep to facts rather than social rants.

looksee wrote: »
    Punisher, you give the impression that you would like to use the thread to grouse about perceived issues and injustices with the system, and you keep moving the goalposts about which kind of pass you are discussing.

This is a thread which could offer useful information to people, please keep to facts rather than social rants.

I in no way meant it to be or was I attacking anyone.

A previous poster stated I was wrong which I wasn't so I was making my point clear.

I have absolutely no issue if what you say is how you see it and it ain't meant to be so.

If you want to remove my post I have no problem at all and I have contributed and have no issue helping others out with questions.

The enterprise from Dundalk on Friday, was as expected, full to the door, so standing only. The Luas to Heuston was good, plenty of seats at Connolly. The 1.35 to Galway was pretty boooked out but we found two seats not booked .3 seats were vacant but seat 52 suddenly displayed booked after we sat down however at no stage did anyone sit there. Was a bit of commotion further down the carriage over booked seats , but it was sorted fairly quickly. Unfortunately there seemed to be passengers all around us coughing and sneezing all the time.

Oranmore on the way home was unmanned and we just got on the train. Again seats mostly booked, but again we found 2 together(not opposite each other) so it was grand. Nobody looked for tickets, and at Heuston the two of us got through the barrier on the one swipe. Actually it closed on me but opened wide on contact immediately. Luas was jammers as there was hundreds from that train alone getting on. At Connolly I got two tickets for Dundalk . I had no tickets up to then.
    The Enterprise was fairly full but there was seats , (surprised how many booked)

4 other passengers got on at Oranmore so I don’t know how they got through the barriers without tickets (unlikely they were free travel looking at their ages). They may have left the train before Dublin.

Would I do it again ? Yes. But not at weekend.

FTP is great, and I am very grateful for it As I don’t enjoy driving as much as I used to. I can travel midweek and off peak, and that’s what I will try and do in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I have recently purchased a senior citizens railcard which ccost a few pounds moe than a disabled persons railcard, but was a lot easier to buy. the good new is that although I live in UK I can use it to travel to various places in Ireland too. not too sure how mucj=h it helps me to save though, but at least it may prove to be useful.

Advertisement