Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Travel Pass

Options
  • 03-04-2018 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I am getting conflicting information by elderly friends as to how I use this on Dublin Bus and the Luas.

Dublin Bus:
    (a) Just show the card to the driver
    (b) Scan Travel Pass card on the Leap Card machine when you get on the bus

Luas:
    (a) Just show the card to the driver (impossible on the Luas!!)
    (b) Scan it on the small machine when getting on and getting off the Luas
    (c) Scan it only when you get on the Luas, but not when you get off.

As you can see, my friends are useless. They don't use their Travel Passes as they all drive.

Dublin Bus doesn't say whether you show it or scan it:
    https://www.dublinbus.ie/Your-Journey1/Accessibility/Free-Travel-Scheme/

Luas also doesn't actually say how you use it either:
    https://www.luas.ie/faq.html

Does anyone use it? Can you advise me please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Citizens Information says...
    If you have a Free Travel Pass, you do not need to get a ticket for Luas. However, you must produce your pass on the tram if requested to do so by a Luas Customer Service Officer or Inspector. Inspectors are entitled to check that the pass is valid and may seek supporting documentation and/or check with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to make sure the pass is being used by the correct person.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Always scan the card at the validatior when getting on the bus and both getting on and off the Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 28,055 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I made a complete eejit of myself on the luas, waving my pass around and not sure what to do. Still not sure what to do on dublin bus. You can almost see the regulars rolling their eyes and thinking 'another aul wan up from the sticks, wish they would stay at home'.

Always scan the card at the validatior

Is that just on the buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Always scan the card at the validatior when getting on the bus and both getting on and off the Luas
    Thanks.

How does one recognise a validator? Where does one find it - is it on the bus or at the bus-stop. Is it on the Luas or on the platform? Does it respond in any way, like issue a ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Well I know the validator for the Leap card is on the left beside the driver on Dublin Bus 'cos that's what I was doing with my Leap card. There is another validator on the right which is used for ordinary Dublin Bus tickets. But which validator should be used for scanning the Travel Pass, the one on the right, or the one of the left? Woe is me! Why don't the Luas and Dublin Bus websites actually explain this more clearly? Well I'll be holding up the queue until I get myself sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

See section 3.8 here http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/780_Free-Travel.aspx
    PUBLIC SERVICES CARD FREE TRAVEL (PSC FT)

Please check with the individual operator for availability of Integrated Ticketing Systems (ITS).

Using your PSC FT on Dublin Bus

If travelling on your own, touch your card against the Validator on the right hand side as you enter the bus until you hear the beep and/or see the green light flash.
    If you have a companion or spouse with you, place your card on the reader by the driver, and request a ticket for that person; who should have the ticket ready for inspection at all stages of the journey

You hold your leap card or your public services card flat against the card reader on the right hand side, don't swipe it or tap it, hold it flat against the surface until the reader beeps, see the picture in the link here https://www.dublinbus.ie/PageFiles/12061/tag%20on%20%5b1%5d.jpg

It says you are supposed to tag in and out or on/off of the luas as well. You hold your leap card or your PSC flat against the validator on the platform, like in the picture below. It will beep and should give you a green light

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CQ9ACt1WsAAEFIY?format=jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

how hard would it be to enclose this leaflet with the card when you qualify?
    ( from the sticks, also confused, never used DB yet)

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/HowToUseYourPublicServicesCardForFreeTravel.pdf

I still don’t know what to do at unmanned railway stations, especially if there’s a barrier and you have your spouse with you

I remember looking for that kind of information when I got the card, and not being able to find anything, it must be more recent. Thanks for the info, folks.

Still waiting for my card but I was on Dublin Bus and Luas this week and watched all the oulwans and oulfellas getting on and off. I asked a few people along the way and it looks like with:

Luas:
    You scan your card against the validator on the platform when getting on and again when getting off. The validator is the thing that looks like a Domestos bottle except its grey with a yellow top. If you are a single person your card should scan as 'Free Pass +C' which means free pass and companion. If you are a married person your card should scan as 'Free Pass +S' whch means free pass and spouse.

Dublin Bus:
    If you are alone you scan on the validator on the right as you get on the bus. If you have your companion or spouse with you then you have to scan on the validator beside the driver and he will issue you with a ticket for the second passenger accompanying you. You don't have to scan when you get off the bus.

Thank you Joeysoap, that information seems to agree with the above. I agree entirely, the card should come with the leaflet. Its just common sense, sadly lacking in this instance.

I've just Googled the Luas Validator and this came up.
    http://www.constructionphotography.com/Details.aspx?ID=26128&TypeID=1

I hope this helps others too.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. I am now better informed than before this thread commenced.

I wonder what are the consequences of failing to "log off" on the Luas.

From chatting to people it seems some do forget to log off. I've no idea if its a problem for us but the logging off would be important for the powers that be because it would let them know how much we O & O's are costing them, I s'pose.

Before coming across the above information I used the Luas a few times without tagging on or off. The last time I used it I did tag on but clean forgot at Connolly. I presume if leap card holders did this they would be presumed to stay on until the tram’s final stop and be charged accordingly.

That was in January, I have used the card twice since then (expressway bus) with no problem.

It doesn’t say what to do at unmanned stations. Next month I hope be traveling from Oranmore on a Sunday to Heuston. The station will be unmanned, I presume I (we) just get on the train anyway? The alternative is to catch a bus into Galway to catch the same train, (but I don’t intend to that)

How do we get through the automatic barriers at Heuston without tickets ?

Good question joeysoap. I hope someone can provide us with that information here. If not, let's all get Googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Tagging on/off with the PSC is only for stat collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

been waiting for mine since last September...

I was told to apply for mine 5-6 months before my 66th birthday. As usual, I've left it a bit late so I'll be waiting long after my birthday now.

For some reason unknown to me, mine came in the post 2 days before my 66th. Didn’t have to apply. Two years ago this month.

joeysoap wrote: »
    For some reason unknown to me, mine came in the post 2 days before my 66th. Didn’t have to apply. Two years ago this month.

Very interesting! I wonder if they are still doing that?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Very interesting! I wonder if they are still doing that?

Don’t know, I was working for a company that had a policy of retiring at 65. Never had a public services card in my life as I worked from 17 - 65 continuously, however on being let go (actually at 65 and 6 months) I claimed SW for the first time , and got one of the ‘new’ cards without the travel bit. So they had all my details, right up to date. They requested the ‘old’ (6 months to be exact) card back and forwarded the new one. I didn’t have to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Still waiting for my replacement since last September.This house move just keeps on taking

Graces7 wrote: »
    Still waiting for my replacement since last September.This house move just keeps on taking

Is that a new application or replacement ?Did SW make a SAFE appointment in the case of a new application? 7 months seems a very long time to be waiting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is that a new application or replacement ?Did SW make a SAFE appointment in the case of a new application? 7 months seems a very long time to be waiting.

7 months! That's ridiculous. One here was a renewal and took a few weeks, another was new and took 3 months.

We've yet to use them. By the time we'd drive to public transport we'd be half way to where we want to go.

I always felt it was a somewhat unfair SW entitlement because some people can avail of it regularly while it's next useless to many who have a real need for transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bluezulu49

how hard would it be to enclose this leaflet with the card when you qualify?
    ( from the sticks, also confused, never used DB yet)

http://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/HowToUseYourPublicServicesCardForFreeTravel.pdf

I still don’t know what to do at unmanned railway stations, especially if there’s a barrier and you have your spouse with you

At unmanned railway stations you put your pass on the validator and go through the barrier after your spouse. At least thats how it works at DART stations.

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    At unmanned railway stations you put your pass on the validator and go through the barrier after your spouse. At least thats how it works at DART stations.

Other way 'round surely?

bluezulu49 wrote: »

Thanks bluezulu, this is all new to me. Is the validation on one of those automatic barriers that you normally put your ticket into? And does it stay open long enough for both of us to pass through?

I googled how to use the pass at railway stations and this is the result. I know Oranmore is an unmanned station

If travelling on your own, touch your card against the Validator on either the gate or pole at your station. Remove the card when you hear a beep or see the green light.
    If you have a companion or spouse with you, you will need to visit the ticket desk and request a ticket for that person, who should have the ticket ready for inspection at all stages of the journey

garancafan wrote: »
    Other way 'round surely?

No. I was instructed by the guy in my local DART station ( when there was a guy there), to place the pass on the validator, have my wife go through and go through myself without representing the pass. Validator shows up plus 1 on the screen.

Thanks bluezulu, this is all new to me. Is the validation on one of those automatic barriers that you normally put your ticket into? And does it stay open long enough for both of us to pass through?

I googled how to use the pass at railway stations and this is the result. I know Oranmore is an unmanned station

If travelling on your own, touch your card against the Validator on either the gate or pole at your station. Remove the card when you hear a beep or see the green light.
    If you have a companion or spouse with you, you will need to visit the ticket desk and request a ticket for that person, who should have the ticket ready for inspection at all stages of the journey

In the case of the DART the barrier seems to recognise that the pass can cover two people and as I said above I was told to get my wife to go up to the barrier, stand behind her and place the pass on the validator. When the barrier opens we both walk through. The barriers in Connolly station certainly stay open long enough for two people to go through.

I'm afraid my mainline experience is limited to a trip to Waterford from Heuston and for that trip I obtained tickets in advance.

And sure, don't we all know that there is a sign on the train saying 'have your tickets ready for checking' at Waterford. And they are never checked. Someone does come round usually (sometimes) and checks tickets though.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    And sure, don't we all know that there is a sign on the train saying 'have your tickets ready for checking' at Waterford. And they are never checked. Someone does come round usually (sometimes) and checks tickets though.

Never checked on the Enterprise either but at least you do have tickets on if someone does request to see them. We won’t have tickets on either the train or at Heuston on arrival.

On the couple of tines I have used the train I noticed the ‘barriers’ were open on arrival at Dundalk and you just walked through.

Advertisement