Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press freedom and INM

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Gravelly wrote: »
    Can you think of a reason that might be the case? Perhaps something in the track record of <redacted> in relation to ministers making decisions that are inexplicably favorable to him?

I completely agree with what you're getting at.

But sadly, in this case, there is no smoke. Nevermind fire.

I fully support O'Brien getting everything coming to him. He's a scumbag. But sadly a minister's name appearing in an avadavit gave the media a stiffy, who threw out due process before screaming "Corruption!"

Sadly, the body politic jumped aboard the hype train too and screamed bloody murder. Know which battles to fight lads. Otherwise you end up looking hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

The dogs in the street knew it would get referred to the BAI.

There was already heightened interest in O'Brien's role in Irish media. Everyone knew this acquisition was going to be picked apart and scrutinised. There would have been hell if it went ahead without BAI having a say. And rightly so.

So why did he not say so when asked in the Dail?
    Why does Naughten now "regret" the conversation even happened?
    Why the investigation?

I think Denis will be lucky to keep his job on this one.

Then why have the ODCE launched an investigation?

Because Robert Pitt blew the whistle on the Newstalk sale.

So why did he not say so when asked in the Dail?
    Why does Naughten now "regret" the conversation even happened?
    Why the investigation?

I think Denis will be lucky to keep his job on this one.

Have a read of his statement. When asked in the Dail, he had then formally received the report which was under consideration by his officials. It's not appropriate to comment at that time.

If my face was all over the newspapers I'd regret being so open. He should start by taking down his mobile phone number from the internet. That's asking for trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,275 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Because Robert Pitt blew the whistle on the Newstalk sale.

but if the dogs in the street knew then there was no insider information.

• Advertisement

but if the dogs in the street knew then there was no insider information.

You're confusing two different issues.

It has yet to be shown if the information was privileged.

Think about it. Before the decision O'Brien owned 29% of INM.

After his wiley lobbyist got the scoop from the minister he still owned 29%.

Why didn't O'Brien dump his shares if he had insider information?

Answer: it was not insider information.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/inm-investor-wants-company-to-buy-back-o-brien-s-stake-1.3467647?mode=amp

One of INM's largest shareholders urges company to buy O'Brien's shares back. O'Brien spent €500m accumulating the position so would likely be uninterested in selling them back at €33m.

Shares are currently trading at 8 cent.
    Surely the company will not survive the investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,775 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Have a read of his statement. When asked in the Dail, he had then formally received the report which was under consideration by his officials. It's not appropriate to comment at that time.

If my face was all over the newspapers I'd regret being so open. He should start by taking down his mobile phone number from the internet. That's asking for trouble.

that would be a good point accept he also said it was inappropiate to comment on the 17th which was in between the time the CCPC made its decision to clear the mergier from its pov and INM/CMNL notified the Minister of their continued interest in merging https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-11-17a.714&s=merger+speaker%3A206#g716.r

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

It's still not going to change how much of the media is owned by DOB. It should never have been allowed happen in the first place. And there's an unwillingness to do anything about it retrospectively.

He is more or less the Irish Donald Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

He is more or less the Irish Donald Trump.

Except Trump was elected.

• Advertisement

Except Trump was elected.

He's still not President any more than in name. He has zero political experience prior.

He's still not President any more than in name. He has zero political experience prior.

What a silly statement. He was elected, he is the president. Whether he's a shïte president or a brilliant president, whether he spent a lifetime in politics or only entered it the day he entered the race makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the fact that he is the president. :rolleyes:

What a silly statement. He was elected, he is the president. Whether he's a shïte president or a brilliant president, whether he spent a lifetime in politics or only entered it the day he entered the race makes absolutely no difference whatsoever to the fact that he is the president. :rolleyes:

In name only.

In name only.

:D Better tell the Federal government that, I understand they think he's the actual president, and are allowing him to run the country, use Air Force One and live in the White House.

:D Better tell the Federal government that, I understand they think he's the actual president, and are allowing him to run the country, use Air Force One and live in the White House.

And fire Steve Bannon who in my opinion was the de facto President?

And fire Steve Bannon who in my opinion was the de facto President?

There's your problem right there.

There's your problem right there.

Many other people thought the same you know.

Many other people thought the same you know.

But it's the people that voted that matter. I think Angel Merkel is a disaster as German Chancellor, and has wrecked Europe, but I'd be an idiot if I believed my thinking that somehow made her not the real German Chancellor.

I think, a bit like Father Dougal and the Spider Baby, you're mixing up what is real and what happens inside your head.

But it's the people that voted that matter. I think Angel Merkel is a disaster as German Chancellor, and has wrecked Europe, but I'd be an idiot if I believed my thinking that somehow made her not the real German Chancellor.

I think, a bit like Father Dougal and the Spider Baby, you're mixing up what is real and what happens inside your head.

I do agree about Merkel but at least she has prior political experience rather than business/celebrity status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Things are hotting up:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/inm-sues-former-chairman-buckley-in-wake-of-odce-probe-into-major-suspected-data-breach-36963178.html

I can say from experience that being involved in court cases is extremely draining on your time, energy and cash. The amount of correspondence, meetings, court filings etc that go on before you even get near a court is mind boggling. Not too mention constantly going over your notes so you get your version of the facts and timeline right is unreal pressure. Between this and the ODCE investigation, Mr Buckley is going to have a busy and interesting retirement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Et tu, Denis?

Not sure how I feel about another Irish billionaire bidding for INM. What does Larry Goodman want with a newspaper?

Sunday Business Post suggests that INM is ripe to be taken into private ownership, thanks to its sizeable cash pile.

Not sure how I feel about another Irish billionaire bidding for INM. What does Larry Goodman want with a newspaper?

Sunday Business Post suggests that INM is ripe to be taken into private ownership, thanks to its sizeable cash pile.

Well he has made a living out of butchery......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Seems to have similar traits to other people who like to control the news invest in national media. Enjoyed close relations with senior Govt figures, benefited greatly from the State and has a penchant for taking court cases.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0917/42323-beef/

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/goodman-apology-would-be-apt-memorial-1.567501

I do agree about Merkel but at least she has prior political experience rather than business/celebrity status.

Also, it was Hillary Clinton who won the popular vote.

ODCE appeal went against INM in the courts today.

Ouch.

Advertisement