Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Press freedom and INM

Options
  • 03-04-2018 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭

INM Irelands biggest media company have had their network accessed by third parties. The Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement (ODCE) have filed an affidavit alleging that data from the INM network was "interrogated". 19 people including barristers and journalists are listed as being the focus of this search.

Some shady stuff going on here. The company that was given the data is owned by <redacted>.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Part owned by a criminal.

Boo hoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,033 ✭✭✭Odhinn

20Cent wrote: »
    INM Irelands biggest media company have had their network accessed by third parties. The Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement (ODCE) have filed an affidavit alleging that data from the INM network was "interrogated". 19 people including barristers and journalists are listed as being the focus of this search.

Some shady stuff going on here. The company that was given the data is owned by <redacted>.

Indeed. <Redacted> seems to have been using it as a resource in a private vendetta. Given the deference shown to his honoured personage, and his ownership of the Cauldron Of Plenty (legal fees edition), he'll probably walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Odhinn wrote: »
    Indeed. <Redacted> seems to have been using it as a resource in a private vendetta. Given the deference shown to his honoured personage, and his ownership of the Cauldron Of Plenty (legal fees edition), he'll probably walk.

Includes two senior counsel of the Moriarty tribunal. Should be a massive story haven't listened to rte yet today. Newstalk are all over it I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

20Cent wrote: »
    Includes two senior counsel of the Moriarty tribunal. Should be a massive story haven't listened to rte yet today. Newstalk are all over it I'm sure.

That they seemed to be after journalists sources was bad enough but it is this Moriarty aspect that is especially worrying. Redacted has in the past been referred to as an Oligarch but there is an increasing Russian flavour to this particular oligarchy. There seems to be very genuine fear of him among the journalist and legal professions and the least said about his relationship with the political profession the better.

I'd say the books that will be written in a few decades once he has shuffled off to face that big tribunal in the sky will be fascinating and eye-opening. Until then I suspect those in the know will keep their heads down and pray he doesn't come for them.

• Advertisement

Be good if Sam Smith got a few bob out of <Redacted>.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/04/03/i-heard-nothing-whatsoever-from-inm/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

What exactly is Data interrogation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭touts

Searching emails and files for certain key phrases. Like the name of a certain powerful individual, or certain businesses or certain politicians. Then seeing who in his organisation might be giving information to nare-do-wells like journalists or tribunal lawyers. Purely for taking them off the old Christmas list of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just a fancy word for searching through mounds of information. Say for example you were an extremely sensitive individual whose name came up at a Tribunal in an unflattering manner which you hotly deny. If your paranoia stretches to not trusting people working in organisations you control you could pay someone to, for example, 'interrogate' all the electronic correspondence in said organisations and, using a list of 'triggers' such as named individuals, you could quickly sift through millions of emails to see if there are any connections via email or other correspondence which might show evidence of disloyalty or, possibly in a newspaper situation for example, uncover evidence of moles or sources that would normally be protected by journalistic privilege.

That didn't happen in this case of course. We know from Leslie Buckley that it was merely a way of seeing could the INM get out of a contract for legal services where the contract had been mislaid. Because moving the entire back up system offshore for interrogation and paying £60K for the service via an Isle of Man company would be the obvious way to locate this contract rather than, say, asking the legal adviser for a copy of the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

IT reporting;

“So is this about O’Brien?

He hasn’t commented yet. But according to reports in the Independent that have not been denied, it was a company belonging to O’Brien that paid the bill arising from the alleged data breach. This company, Blaydon Ltd, is registered in the Isle of Man and it is not possible from public filings to tell who owns it.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/q-a-what-is-going-on-in-the-inm-controversy-1.3449609?mode=amp

See attached screenshot from another IT article with more info on Blaydon Limited which is controlled by DO’B (assisted by William Fry solicitors).

The Blaydon Company appears to be utilized by DO’B for financial transactions and paid for the data breach. Given the strong links with the data use by 3rd parties to DO’B, this could be a very big story.

The question is what exactly he used the data for. This is potentially a huge scandal; particularly as the signs are pointing to DO’B himself being the reason the “data breach” occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

I'd love for the truth to come out fully about this. It won't though, will it?

This is a massive story getting hardly any coverage by mainstream press for obvious and ominous reasons. A man against whom adverse findings were made a a Tribunal is using the entire resources of the largest circulation newspaper in the country to track Barristers who appeared at said Tribunal and trawling Journalist's email correspondence for God knows what purpose.

If nothing else comes of it I hope someone in the Govt grows a pair and accepts the obvious conclusion that too much media power in the hands of one individual is a highly dangerous thing and does something about it.

Yet this thread has had 500 views versus 333K for Al Porter? The human race is fúcked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Deise Vu wrote: »

This is a massive story getting hardly any coverage by mainstream press for obvious and ominous reasons. A man against whom adverse findings were made a a Tribunal is using the entire resources of the largest circulation newspaper in the country to track Barristers who appeared at said Tribunal and trawling Journalist's email correspondence for God knows what purpose.

If nothing else comes of it I hope someone in the Govt grows a pair and accepts the obvious conclusion that too much media power in the hands of one individual is a highly dangerous thing and does something about it.

Yet this thread has had 500 views versus 333K for Al Porter? The human race is fúcked.

I completely agree with your final paragraph but the claim you make in your opening par is just not true. The media is all over this - it's a great story!

Also just wanna thank Deise Vu for his brilliant post summing the whole thing up perfectly ðŸ‘

Just as a warning - there is the very real danger that this incident will add credence to the notion of Brendan O'Connor as a commentator and journalist, so lets be careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Why would the gov care, they recently paid journalists to only write positive articles about the Ireland 2040 plan. How can you trust media that is paid to paint a certain picture?

Journalism is too close to politics and the elite classes in this country.

twinytwo wrote: »
    Why would the gov care, they recently paid journalists to only write positive articles about the Ireland 2040 plan. How can you trust media that is paid to paint a certain picture?

Journalism is too close to politics and the elite classes in this country.

It is disturbing that Newspapers would print paid for articles as 'opinion' and the Govt has rightly been called to task for it. It is an altogether more sinister story if one extremely rich individual can shape the news to his satisfaction and use newspaper's resources to carry out his own agenda.

We have seen what effect 'fake news', Fox News, Facebook and Data Analytics have had on massively important votes recently. It is vital for a working democracy that we have independent (no pun intended) investigative journalists who can carry out their work without worrying about getting a tap on their shoulder or their having their sources compromised. We also need those sources to have faith in their confidentiality if their information could threaten their careers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Broadsheet had an article on it yesterday, just scanned a few of the online comments, with a few hoping Denis actually 'gets caught' this time.

Serious question though, what would actually happen to him if he is:confused:

Look at the siteserv controversy, that came in the wake of the Moriarty tribunal.

Broadsheet had an article on it yesterday, just scanned a few of the online comments, with a few hoping Denis actually 'gets caught' this time.

Serious question though, what would actually happen to him if he is:confused:

Look at the siteserv controversy, that came in the wake of the Moriarty tribunal.

He'd be buried in a coat of lawyers, three deep.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

To be fair, the Al Porter thread is nearly 6 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Irish Times have been cautiously reporting this for months with a lot of ommitted details. You could tell their hand was tied behind their back, terrified of being sued.

The articles made little sense and it was difficult to understand the point they were making when reporting on the various court cases. At first i thought it was sloppy reporting. In hindsight, i now realise they were trying to get as much dirt out there, without actually saying anything concrete.

I bet they have a treasure trove of evidence they're just dying to release. I'd say a lot of former and current INM journalists are knocking on the door, looking for work.

Looking forward to the various books on this in years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Article in the IT today discussing aspects of the affidavit filed with the high court. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/laywer-to-review-inm-board-row-switched-after-o-brien-intervened-1.3450732?mode=amp
    At the time the board wanted to conduct a governance review arising from a dispute over the proposed sale to INM of Newstalk, a radio station owned by Mr O’Brien.

Board members had approved the appointment of Brian O’Moore SC but it was not proceeded with after the then chairman of INM, Leslie Buckley, who had consulted Mr O’Brien, intervened, according to the affidavit. It is also stated in the affidavit that the board was not told of Mr O’Brien’s preference that Mr O’Moore not be appointed.

Mr O’Brien’s involvement in a matter which directly concerned him is one of the issues raised by the Director of Corporate Enforcement, Ian Drennan, whose application for the appointment of inspectors to INM is to be heard in the High Court on Monday week. Mr O’Brien’s apparent role in vetoing the barrister is one of the matters Mr Drennan wants investigated by High Court inspectors.

Leslie Buckley acting as O’Brien’s puppet in his role, according to the above, and did not disclose consulting with DOB to the other board members.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This is a massive story getting hardly any coverage by mainstream press for obvious and ominous reasons.

Ah c'mon, it's been in all the media, even DOBs own radio stations regularly covering it in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hurrache wrote: »
    Ah c'mon, it's been in all the media, even DOBs own radio stations regularly covering it in detail.

https://www.todayfm.com/News/Calls-For-Minister-For-Technology-After-INM-Data-Breech

This is the rather odd sum total of the coverage this morning on TodayFM's website News column.

I don't think they could have written a more brief and bizarre analysis and angle of a serious situation if they'd tried.

Article in the IT today discussing aspects of the affidavit filed with the high court. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/laywer-to-review-inm-board-row-switched-after-o-brien-intervened-1.3450732?mode=amp

Leslie Buckley acting as O’Brien’s puppet in her role, according to the above, and did not disclose consulting with DOB to the other board members.

Being pedantic and also with due deference to the apparent extreme touchiness of the people involved, it should be pointed out that Leslie Buckley is a male.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Call me Al wrote: »
    https://www.todayfm.com/News/Calls-For-Minister-For-Technology-After-INM-Data-Breech

This is the rather odd sum total of the coverage this morning on TodayFM's website News column.

I don't think they could have written a more brief and bizarre analysis and angle of a serious situation if they'd tried.

Well I never go to radio stations websites for news, I actually listen to their current affairs shows if they have them. And they've been covering it a lot on the Last Word, yesterday evening included when they had quite a long piece about it (15 minutes), and I'm sure they covered it every other show this week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Being pedantic and also with due deference to the apparent extreme touchiness of the people involved, it should be pointed out that Leslie Buckley is a male.

Given how he appears to dance to his masters voice, only in the broadest sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Call me Al wrote: »

Well that article really delved into the guts of the story and no mistake:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I am totally confident that the Data Protection Commissioner will investigate this alleged data breach at INM with total impartiality and to the fullest extent.

Oh wait she's the keynote speaker at INM's conference on data protection next week :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭garbo speaks

That's because this story is as dull as dishwater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

That's because this story is as dull as dishwater.

Not enough shiny things in this thread to keep your attention?

Advertisement