Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PRL at it again

• 02-04-2018 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

So PRL are at it again and there is talk of changing the European Cup.
    Downsizing the European Champions Cup has been proposed as a way to protect player welfare if the Premiership is ring-fenced with more than 12 teams...

There is a feeling that the Champions Cup has lost its aura with more than half of the Premiership taking part this season and fewer European matches would allow for an expanded top flight in England without adding to player workload.

Interesting this feeling seems to have manifested itself in a year when the English clubs where poor. Perhaps they can just jump to the no winning rule now and save us prolonged debate about structures.

[URL] https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/02/champions-cup-rugby-premiership-wrangle[/url]

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,329 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This would not be surprising given the league is their cash cow. France probably the same.

Reality is the European cup is more important to pro14 sides than English or French.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,943 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So the pro 14 and top 14, with a greater number of teams, don't have an issue with the schedule.

But the English, with 12 teams, can't manage to be able to handle it.

Perhaps they should look at changing their own system of club v country first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

sydthebeat wrote: »
    So the pro 14 and top 14, with a greater number of teams, don't have an issue with the schedule.

A pro 14 conference model could work really well in England

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

sydthebeat wrote: »

Doubt the English union would have the money to buy up the clubs.

As much as people like scorning the French and English I have to say a European final involving only Pro 14 sides I would find a tad less interesting. Not sure I’d be that fussed about yet another Munster and Leinster derby.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Yeah, let's have Saracens v Toulon every year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Yeah, let's have Saracens v Toulon every year

That’s not what I said...

Let’s have a Pro 14 vs a French or English club every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

PRL are a joke at this stage, They half ruined the Heineken cup because of the changes....

It was all ok for a few years as the UK clubs got to semi's/finals etc

This year they have fallen off, England had poor performance in 6 nations and now the answer is hit the European cup again...

Maybe the French, Welsh, Italian and South Africans should just break away and dump them. The Aviva Permiership is pi** poor rugby anyway.

I am sure BT wont be too happy if they start messing around again, they have bought the right to Champions Cup for the next few seasons for a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

pram1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

swiwi_ wrote: »

As much as people like scorning the French and English I have to say a European final involving only Pro 14 sides I would find a tad less interesting. Not sure I’d be that fussed about yet another Munster and Leinster derby.

The last time we met in Europe was 2009.

It's a rare gem, and trust me, there would be fireworks. Nothing like the usual pro14 derby.

Having said that, I do agree I think the allure of beating the top club from another country on neutral ground in a European final.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Munster and Leinster last played in europe 9 years ago. I dont see how the final being from sides from same league is less interesting especially when its just the second time its happened for this league and first time a pro 14 side has made this final since 2012

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Just so I'm clear here - this is good for rugby in Romania and Georgia how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Sarries winning was not a problem!! Now that they have no semi finalists they get pissy.
    Next year Exeter will be a handful as will Sarries. Much ado about bullcrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

com.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Think a collective relaxation is needed here. That article is so incredibly vague that it's borderline meaningless. It doesn't say who has proposed this scaling-back, how much support there is for it, or how it would actually contribute to a meaningful reduction in workload.

It also ignores the fact that a new TV deal has recently been agreed so any changes could only begin in 2022, by which time a whole lot more water will have passed under the bridge.

In short, I would pay very little attention to it and I certainly wouldn't jump on it as toys being thrown out of the pram or saying PRL are a joke.

Where's IBF? Surely his Spidey Sense has been alerted to this thread.

In short, I would pay very little attention to it and I certainly wouldn't jump on it as toys being thrown out of the pram or saying PRL are a joke.

Don't deny me a chance to thanks whore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Where's IBF? Surely his Spidey Sense has been alerted to this thread.

The post count for IBF and Molloy is about to go through the roof

Think a collective relaxation is needed here. That article is so incredibly vague that it's borderline meaningless. It doesn't say who has proposed this scaling-back, how much support there is for it, or how it would actually contribute to a meaningful reduction in workload.

It also ignores the fact that a new TV deal has recently been agreed so any changes could only begin in 2022, by which time a whole lot more water will have passed under the bridge.

They threw the old competition under the bus during a TV deal. They allegedly signed a new deal while the old deal was still in place hence why we have BT and Sky.

While I take your point regarding the source being vague it was this kind of kite flying that turned out to be true last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It's nonsense but people just love it.

Who cares about a complete lack or ignorance of facts, they want their big bad guys that they can make jokes about and pretend their decisions are down to Irish teams winning.

It's the closest equivalent some people get to the popcorn-munching superhero movie experience, so let them have at it. Let them eat cake.

That’s not what I said...

Let’s have a Pro 14 vs a French or English club every year.

We had just that this weekend. I'm not sure either game would have been a worthy final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Yeah, at the moment it's just one consideration to combat a larger top flight. But I really can't see the Premiership expanding to 14 teams in a ring-fenced league. It will create a glut of meaningless fixtures outside of those involving a handful of teams each year. Unless they have very strong financial incentives for final league position. In which case they may as well just keep the relegation format.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's nonsense but people just love it.

Who cares about a complete lack or ignorance of facts, they want their big bad guys that they can make jokes about and pretend their decisions are down to Irish teams winning.

It's the closest equivalent some people get to the popcorn-munching superhero movie experience, so let them have at it. Let them eat cake.
    What's the equivalent to bread in your analogy?

prawnsambo wrote: »
    What's the equivalent to bread in your analogy?

I hadn't thought that far ahead and regretted it when I did!

Maybe it's the act of actually waiting for even a single quote, a single name, or anything of any remote significance. That should probably be the staple diet.

I hadn't thought that far ahead and regretted it when I did!

Maybe it's the act of actually waiting for even a single quote, a single name, or anything of any remote significance. That should probably be the staple diet.
    The Guardian is a well respected paper of record. This is most likely a calculated PR move by PRL in their on going battle with their union.

Who needs bread when you have circuses?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Who needs bread when you have circuses?
    You have to have both. According to the Romans anyway. But we're getting our historical references all mixed up. :)

The Guardian is a well respected paper of record. This is most likely a calculated PR move by PRL in their on going battle with their union.

I thought it was the Telegraph that was their mouthpiece. I believe the Guardian is under the control of Hydra, but it's certainly possible they are working together. This might be a big PR move ahead of the next Avengers movie.

I thought it was the Telegraph that was their mouthpiece. I believe the Guardian is under the control of Hydra, but it's certainly possible they are working together. This might be a big PR move ahead of the next Avengers movie.

You said above you weren't going to take part in this conversation. Perhaps you should take your own advice if you're just going to talk nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Losing millions every year!!! Apparently only 2 clubs in the pl are somewhat fiscally responsible.
    Gobshytes

Advertisement