Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing Time.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

Mostly from mayo.I don’t like the mayo but the Lanark is a great cross on them puts a bit of size on them and they have cleaner whiter wool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Any pics off the belclare ram x horney lambs? Sounds an interesting mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

make ya wonder all the work that goes into the main flock of ewes indoors!

I’ve come to the same conclusion. Hardy ewes that do all the work themselves. Better with a plain alive lamb in sept to sell then a dead show winner in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭DJ98

Lambman wrote: »

Lambed some of them ewes here this year, all had two lambs and were excellent mothers, only thing they lack is size as when we bred them we used mayo ewes which are quite small and a belclare ram that lacked size, but overall they are a very good cross i find.

DJ98 wrote: »

Lambed some of them ewes here this year, all had two lambs and were excellent mothers, only thing they lack is size as when we bred them we used mayo ewes which are quite small and a belclare ram that lacked size, but overall they are a very good cross i find.
    That's what I was expecting was the lack off size till be honest... as said here before I bought old horned ewes this year till breed replacements from bought swaledale ewes mostly and a BEL ram lamb till produce the original mule... lambing going well so far lost 2 ewes though 1 put out the lamb bed the other had 2 dead lambs in her bar that never lost a lamb... they scanned poorly so have a lot of singles which are big lambs but hasn't till touch a ewe lambing yet... bit disappointed in the amount off black on the lambs face and legs... I was hoping for more white faces with specs off black but it's the other way about.

• Advertisement

That's what I was expecting was the lack off size till be honest... as said here before I bought old horned ewes this year till breed replacements from bought swaledale ewes mostly and a BFL ram lamb till produce the original mule... lambing going well so far lost 2 ewes though 1 put out the lamb bed the other had 2 dead lambs in her bar that never lost a lamb... they scanned poorly so have a lot of singles which are big lambs but hasn't till touch a ewe lambing yet... bit disappointed in the amount off black on the lambs face and legs... I was hoping for more white faces with specs off black but it's the other way about.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭serfspup

10 days into 220 ewes half way through and going surprisingly well.today was the first time i had to feed lambs the ewe had big bottle tits,she cost me an extra 20 minutes today and will be taking up a small pen for several days:mad: and going for and Indian dinner in the autumn.I will not retain her daughter either even though the ewe is old I don't need the hastle and this trait is highly hereditable

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I’ve come to the same conclusion. Hardy ewes that do all the work themselves. Better with a plain alive lamb in sept to sell then a dead show winner in April.

Plus 1! Walkin round lambin with my hands in my pockets with these mayo ewes and some lambin Suffolk!

Ard_MC wrote: »
    Plus 1! Walkin round lambin with my hands in my pockets with these mayo ewes and some lambin Suffolk!

The lads in New Zealand think we’re cracked. pampering sheep, having to pull every second lamb and life in the lambing sheds 24/7.

The lads in New Zealand think we’re cracked. pampering sheep, having to pull every second lamb and life in the lambing sheds 24/7.

Yah..i have 20 in the shed this year and they will be gone this back end. And 30 of the mayos got in their place. Ok i wont be hittin top prices but costs are less and lifestyle is alot better. Its only a hobby for me to be fair so i am not dependin on them to live. Works for me but not for everyone.

• Advertisement

Yah..i have 20 in the shed this year and they will be gone this back end. And 30 of the mayos got in their place. Ok i wont be hittin top prices but costs are less and lifestyle is alot better. Its only a hobby for me to be fair so i am not dependin on them to live. Works for me but not for everyone.

Gone down the road of Lleyns here for that reason. Would just as happily try NZ Romney’s as well. I want the sheep to as much of the work as possible and not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭mcgiggles

Gone down the road of Lleyns here for that reason. Would just as happily try NZ Romney’s as well. I want the sheep to as much of the work as possible and not me.

We're going towards lleyns too. Bought a few hoggets last year to see how they are. Late with ram so not due for a fortnight or so yet. Gorgeous looking ewes they are. Think the 10 or so we got were on the small side but will be definitely getting more for next year!

Is there a bog difference in the lleyn and the belclare?
    What about mules?

Is there a bog difference in the lleyn and the belclare?
    What about mules?

There’s so many variation amongst both breeds, hard to answer. But Lleyns might not be as prolific but are hardier with better feet imo. Belclare might be that but more docile. you’ll also find rubbish in both breeds ,but I like the Lleyns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

There’s so many variation amongst both breeds, hard to answer. But Lleyns might not be as prolific but are hardier with better feet imo. Belclare might be that but more docile. you’ll also find rubbish in both breeds ,but I like the Lleyns

More couples with lleyns which has its advantages.

On another point would a belclare ram put to a texel ewe be a better alternative to pure belclare and the associated jump in prolifacy?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw a few 4-5 week old lambs with mucky backsides this evening. They’re out of a Charollais ram and doing well overall - tis just the black a*ses!

Would it worth doing a FEC test now? Are they too young to dose? Would we be better off waiting til they’re nearer to 6-8 weeks old and FEC then?

Thanks.

(Tis going to be a long year!)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Saw a few 4-5 week old lambs with mucky backsides this evening. They’re out of a Charollais ram and doing well overall - tis just the black a*ses!

Would it worth doing a FEC test now? Are they too young to dose? Would we be better off waiting til they’re nearer to 6-8 weeks old and FEC then?

Thanks.

(Tis going to be a long year!)

They're young for worms, might be coccidiosis at that age.
    Its caused by mucky conditions around creep feeders, troughs etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

wrangler wrote: »
    They're young for worms, might be coccidiosis at that age.
    Its caused by mucky conditions around creep feeders, troughs etc

Tis still fairly mucky around here alright.

Would coccidiosis mean bloody or very black rear ends (blood mixed with poo)?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Tis still fairly mucky around here alright.

Would coccidiosis mean bloody or very black rear ends (blood mixed with poo)?

Sounds like it, thankfully don't get it here, better to talk to vet,

Mines run on the worse mountain every knowin for 6 to 8 months of the yr depending on weather.

• Advertisement

Just in from both lambing sheds things are quieting down gonna have a fair few stragglers by looks a it so took the leap and installed cameras in both sheds today some job saves a whole lot off running this time off year. I can move the cameras 270° horizontal and up and down the height off the shed zoom wouldn't be great but 1 shed is poor for light and the night vision is excellent €300 for 2 cameras with the Wi-Fi dongle and a month's credit and all setup well worth the extra few hours in bed and diesel saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

Just in from both lambing sheds things are quieting down gonna have a fair few stragglers by looks a it so took the leap and installed cameras in both sheds today some job saves a whole lot off running this time off year. I can move the cameras 270° horizontal and up and down the height off the shed zoom wouldn't be great but 1 shed is poor for light and the night vision is excellent €300 for 2 cameras with the Wi-Fi dongle and a month's credit and all setup well worth the extra few hours in bed and diesel saved.

Same as myself. Camera is only really used for the stragglers. I have 6 left now and will put them in a pen with the camera on them today so I dont have to be running down (about 2 miles) at night. If they havn't lambed by next week, out they go.

Where do people on here source there mountain ewes? Do you buy in marts or privately (donedeal)?

arctictree wrote: »
    Same as myself. Camera is only really used for the stragglers. I have 6 left now and will put them in a pen with the camera on them today so I dont have to be running down (about 2 miles) at night. If they havn't lambed by next week, out they go.

Spotted a ewe on the camera late last night with just the lambs head out. Went down and sorted that out. Very useful at the end of lambing to keep an eye on the stragglers.

On a different subject does anyone use Ritchie castration rings? Was always nettex here and had no bother with them but bought Ritchie this year as it was first thing I seen... they don't seem till be as strong as nettex as a lot off my lambs still have the tails on them although the bottom part looks dead it doesn't seem strong enough till part the tail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Have a lamb with bent back ankles born yesterday,looks like joint I'll but don't think it is,he was pulled out backwards I'd say that had something to do with it? Could it be splinted or will it improve on its own?

On a different subject does anyone use Ritchie castration rings? Was always nettex here and had no bother with them but bought Ritchie this year as it was first thing I seen... they don't seem till be as strong as nettex as a lot off my lambs still have the tails on them although the bottom part looks dead it doesn't seem strong enough till part the tail?

Noticed that this year for the first time. I wonder are they weaker for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭razor8

Keep them on straw for a few days. 99% of the time they come right after a week or so

Had my first ever case of ring womb. Is that ewe on the cull list like prolapse or would she be ok next yr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Had my first ever case of ring womb. Is that ewe on the cull list like prolapse or would she be ok next yr?

Cull her. Chances are will happen next year

Advertisement