Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lambing Time.

Options
  • 02-04-2018 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

What time of the year do people lamb ewes ? why choose early, mid-season or late lambing ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Lambman

Lambed later this year started 27th off March still lambing at the min... was lambing from 10th March last year put it back because kept more heifer calves on from last year and wanted the sheds freed up before I started lambing glad I did as I've very little ewes and lambs out till grass with the way the weather is and used a charrlois ram so there not much wool on them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Started on 22-Feb this year to try get lambs finished and sold before price drops too much, but going to push back to mid-March next year.

The weather obviously influenced the decision, but managing grass and having to feed concentrates also helped us see things differently.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Started on 22-Feb this year to try get lambs finished and sold before price drops too much, but going to push back to mid-March next year.

The weather obviously influenced the decision, but managing grass and having to feed concentrates also helped us see things differently.

I think alot off ppl have done that from drivin round the country. Only startin here. Mountain we run on, so doesnt get green till May!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭kk.man

Yes same here 17th March.. the boss man used to say it was time enough... this year he was so right!.
    Anyone had lambs in Feb etc or earlier must have got cruel hardship and a massive meal bill.
    Years back I has them in early and that winter and spring was wet not cold or snow like this one. I lost my shirt and had no grass for the cattle. One lesson learned for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

kk.man wrote: »
    Yes same here 17th March.. the boss man used to say it was time enough... this year he was so right!.
    Anyone had lambs in Feb etc or earlier must have got cruel hardship and a massive meal bill.
    Years back I has them in early and that winter and spring was wet not cold or snow like this one. I lost my shirt and had no grass for the cattle. One lesson learned for life.
    I see a lot of people say that but if the cattle ate the grass instead of the ewes, what difference does it make

• Advertisement

I see a lot of people say that but if the cattle ate the grass instead of the ewes, what difference does it make
    No that refers to the early ones years back...needed more grass for early lambers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

We lambed on the 7 jan and 10 March this year and next year back to 1 jan and 10 March, lambing to the correct weather is like gazing into a crystal ball and if you have sheep they have to be lambed.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

We lambed the B-team ( old girls on they’re last year, ewes that have a yellow card prolapse lame etc) on Feb 1st and the main flock 4th March. The early ones are doing really well getting 1lb meal at grass. Not much growth out so main flock getting 1.5lbs. First time in my life I’ve had to give ewes meal after lambing. Sickening!!

We lambed the B-team ( old girls on they’re last year, ewes that have a yellow card prolapse lame etc) on Feb 1st and the main flock 4th March. The early ones are doing really well getting 1lb meal at grass. Not much growth out so main flock getting 1.5lbs. First time in my life I’ve had to give ewes meal after lambing. Sickening!!
    How were you in 2013

How was I in 2013?? I don’t get you!!

• Advertisement

How was I in 2013?? I don’t get you!!

Well ,it was a similiar enough year . did u manage not feeding the ewes then too?

I can’t remember 2013 but I do know that this is the first year I’ve EVER had to feed meal to ewes at grass. We’ve always had plenty of grass saved this year is proving the exception though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Not sure where you live but you must have good dry fertile ground.....here in the wilds of the NW (Leitrim) it's commonplace with say a Mid March lambing flock that you'd have to supplement them with nuts for at least a month after lambing....even if you have grass...their is no real 'power' in it alone to feed a ewe and her lambs.

I live on the Waterford/wexician border. Yeah we’d have good dry ground but are very heavily stocked. Cattle would all be in in November and most of the sheep at Christmas so generally have a good bite for them after lambing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,110 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Well ,it was a similiar enough year . did u manage not feeding the ewes then too?

We didn't have to feed after lambing in 2013, but grass ran out after three weeks with us in 2012 and had to feed some of the early march ewes for a short while.
    Later lambers (post 20 march) had enough
    That's the only feed post lambing since 2000 until this year.
    We never had to feed so much meal as this year

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭sheepfarmer92

We never feed sheep and lambs out on grass either, only the hoggets and their lambs,
    Have a lot of ewes and lambs at grass and didnt start feeding yet as afraid of mismothering in bunches of 2 to 300 ewes, will start nxt week if no improvement as saved grass is starting to disappear

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i wouldnt worry to much at feeding meal to ewes with doubles on them. im feeding ewes with doubles once a day and 12 ewes rearing triplets get 0.5 kg morn and evening . lambs have ad lib meal in creep. there on poor enough grass. its a false economy not to throw them meal at this time of year in this weather. keep them moving and thriving and hopefully a lot gone by july 1st. i give sheep the priority in spring as they leave most profit. i finish heifers off grass too but sure they money isnt in them as much so sheep get the priority

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i wouldnt worry to much at feeding meal to ewes with doubles on them. im feeding ewes with doubles once a day and 12 ewes rearing triplets get 0.5 kg morn and evening . lambs have ad lib meal in creep. there on poor enough grass. its a false economy not to throw them meal at this time of year in this weather. keep them moving and thriving and hopefully a lot gone by july 1st. i give sheep the priority in spring as they leave most profit. i finish heifers off grass too but sure they money isnt in them as much so sheep get the priority

I finish heifers too, similar to yourself all they do is keep the grass right for the lambs, i will probably start the snacker after the weekend, wanted to give them a week to settle before i start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭arctictree

I find the problem with feeding ewes in the field is that the ones that need it most generally get the least due to all the pushing and shoving at feeding time. The stupid feckers will nearly kill each other at one trough when the next one is nearly free! I've had to bring a few back in for special attention as they were just getting weaker and weaker. Hopefully the grass will arrive soon! I have a field just about ready for them but don't want to put then in too early. Only a few days now...

im the same put urea out 13 days ago its green with a bite but needs mild weather to burst out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Temperatures are getting milder next week, hoping for an improvement once this rain clears tomorrow.

Only one hogget left!....delighted but some Spring

kk.man wrote: »
    Only one hogget left!....delighted but some Spring

Same here. One yearling left. Shes not too far away either

3 yearlings and 20 horny’s but they work away themselves. They’re unbelievable sheep been outside on a bare I mean bare field being checked twice a day and so far 82 of them have 131 lambs only lost 3 between them!! Always have they’re lambs with them.

3 yearlings and 20 horny’s but they work away themselves. They’re unbelievable sheep been outside on a bare I mean bare field being checked twice a day and so far 82 of them have 131 lambs only lost 3 between them!! Always have they’re lambs with them.

Have a few hornys here too lambed outside, great mothers, father has 170 of them on an outfarm and hasnt lambed a single one yet lost one ewe and 2 lambs only 6 or 7 of them.left, make ya wonder all the work that goes into the main flock of ewes indoors!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

Have a few hornys here too lambed outside, great mothers, father has 170 of them on an outfarm and hasnt lambed a single one yet lost one ewe and 2 lambs only 6 or 7 of them.left, make ya wonder all the work that goes into the main flock of ewes indoors!

What type of hornys do ye run? And what you crossing them with?

Ard_MC wrote: »
    What type of hornys do ye run? And what you crossing them with?

My father keeps the hornys theyre Lanark and mayo crosses, few perth ones aswell but i wouldnt care for them, he buys a few hundred every year and kills the biggest half of them, keeps the best to breed ewe lambs from
    Cross with 3 lairg nc cheviots, make lovely ewes, about a 1000 of my ewes are made up of them, rest are older mules and belclare crosses,
    i use mainly easycares on them now and find them very good

We’ve 100 mainly Lanark and Mayo crosses and a few Kerry. This is the first year lambing them. Only got them to breed a few mules as were increasing numbers. Crossed with border leicester and belclare rams Finding them very good, tough and excellent mother’s. Will definitely keep more of them next year. Relatively trouble free and have lost a lot less lambs than the ones in the shed who were watched 24/7

id love to see a few pictures of those

• Advertisement

We’ve 100 mainly Lanark and Mayo crosses and a few Kerry. This is the first year lambing them. Only got them to breed a few mules as were increasing numbers. Crossed with border leicester and belclare rams Finding them very good, tough and excellent mother’s. Will definitely keep more of them next year. Relatively trouble free and have lost a lot less lambs than the ones in the shed who were watched 24/7

Where did u source the ewes

Advertisement