Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ex landlord advertising house for rental!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

aaakev wrote: »
    Why does any of that matter?

It does to a landlord that needs to justify his actions ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

OP , was the Landlord fair with their deals with you up until this point ?   

If the landlord blatantly broke the law, having been fair in the past is irrelevant.
    was the rent market rate or below ?

Irrelevant to a person which was potentially illegal evicted.
    how do now what has been done to the property ? Have you been in the property since leaving ?

Irrelevant as the notice was given on the basis of selling the property.

----

I am all in favour of cordial tenant/landlord relationships, but it doesn't mean past good behaviour excuses present wrongdoings

Because I have been a good tenant my current landlord has kept rent well below market rate for a while and when I leave I won't check on them to see what they do with the next tenant (and I will happily be flexible with assisting them in any way they need when they look for a new tenant, and maintain the same healthy trust relationship we have had).

BUT no matter how excellent the relationship has been, if they tried to evict me illegally none of that will matter and I will fight back. And similarly I am sure no matter how good a tenant I have been in the past if I started to get reckless tomorrow and to stop paying the rent or to trash the place, they would react to it and rightly defend their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

As gets said often, this IS a business arrangement.

Bob24 wrote: »
    If the landlord blatantly broke the law, having been fair in the past is irrelevant.

----

I am all in favour of cordial tenant/landlord relationships, but it doesn't mean past good behaviour excuses present wrongdoings

Because I have been a good tenant my current landlord has kept rent well below market rate for a while and when I leave I won't check on them to see what they do with the next tenant (and I will happily be flexible with assisting them in any way they need when they look for a new tenant, and maintain the same healthy trust relationship we have had).

BUT no matter how excellent the relationship has been, if they tried to evict me illegally none of that will matter and I will fight back. And similarly I am sure no matter how good a tenant I have been in the past if I started to get reckless tomorrow and to stop paying the rent or to trash the place, they would react to it and rightly defend their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

D3V!L wrote: »
    aaakev wrote: »
    Why does any of that matter?

It does to a landlord that needs to justify his actions ;)
    Yeah ot was a rhetorical question tbh, i was curious to hear his answer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

anodos wrote: »
    Thanks for the information everyone, I'm going to submit the dispute to the RTB shortly. I'll keep ye updated but I imagine it'll take a while to be resolved!

How about your former housemates, will each of them be bringing a case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    OP , was the Landlord fair with their deals with you up until this point ?   was the rent market rate or below ? how do now what has been done to the property ? Have you been in the property since leaving ?

Here comes the landlord.

OP, let us know how much compensation you end up getting. A party for the people of boards is always welcomed ;)
    in fairness the system only works for the tenants so nothing to lose for the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The landlord is breaking the law here and the tenant should be compensated accordingly. What's your issue?

The landlord is breaking the law here and the tenant should be compensated accordingly. What's your issue?

We only have one side of the story .

OP , was the Landlord fair with their deals with you up until this point ?   

was the rent market rate or below ?

how do now what has been done to the property ? Have you been in the property since leaving ?

----

Ex tenant is doesnt know whàt was done to the properry so its all immaterial really. We only have a compension hungry ex tenants side . That would be 50% of the actual facts

We only have one side of the story .

What potentially is the other side of it? Seriously?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Either the new landlord is breaking the law or the old landlord is breaking the law.

Let the OP start a dispute and the facts will out.

Ex tenant is doesnt know whàt was done to the properry so its all immaterial really. We only have a compension hungry ex tenants side . That would be 50% of the actual facts

All those questions are still irrelevant though as not matter that answer it won't change the fact that as per the information given here there was an illegal eviction.

If you want the other perspective of the story you'd need to talk to the landlord, which realistically won't happen here. The questions in your post are all irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bluescat

Yes, report the individual. And maybe a "sit-in" outside the house with a placard,naming and shaming. The PRTB is lame, they go after good landlords with nasty tenants [my old former landlady had years of trouble with a female who made her life hell. She is THE best landlady, and had nothing but trouble with tenant and PRTB]; I rented for 4 months from a psycho [found place via agency- NEVER AGAIN !!!], and PRTB did nothing.I wish you success !

All those questions are still irrelevant though as not matter that answer it won't change the fact that as per the information given here there was an illegal eviction.

If you want the other perspective of the story you'd need to talk to the landlord, which realistically won't happen here. The questions in your post are all irrelevant.

As per the info given idea

Due to potentially illegal government intervention and goal post moving the LL could have been stuck on a crazily low rent through no fault of his own and at best could have a non-performing investment or at worst be unable to keep paying the mortgage with his rental income capped well below market rate.

The fact the rent he is looking is for 1k higher than the op was paying shows that this scenario is very liklely. While what he has done is illegal I'd find it very hard to complain about him as he is simply trying to get his investment back working for him against waves of anti-LL government intervention and more crap being called for like banning evictions for 2 years in the media today.

LLs simply have to try fight their corner, they are in the game to make money not provide housing or act like a charity. They need fight within the law however, though its not going to be easy with so much media and public opinion against them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

That's all the op needs concern themselves with.[/quote]

Each to his own you mean. Increase in rent in this case if property has been renovated OP is only assuming without viewing.

Due to potentially illegal government intervention and goal post moving the LL could have been stuck on a crazily low rent through no fault of his own and at best could have a non-performing investment or at worst be unable to keep paying the mortgage with his rental income capped well below market rate.

The fact the rent he is looking is for 1k higher than the op was paying shows that this scenario is very liklely. While what he has done is illegal I'd find it very hard to complain about him as he is simply trying to get his investment back working for him against waves of anti-LL government intervention and more crap being called for like banning evictions for 2 years in the media today.

LLs simply have to try fight their corner, they are in the game to make money not provide housing or act like a charity.

Pretty sure advocating breaking the law is against the forum charter, nox.

Each to his own you mean. Increase in rent in this case if property has been renovated OP is only assuming without viewing.

The renovations necessary to meet the requirements of the law would take more than the time outlined by OP.

I also assume the house is up online for rent and as such can be viewed by whoever wants to view it.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I am wondering did all of you in the house have the house leased or was it done on a room by room basis? Does this impact on the potential for a case?

• Advertisement

Pretty sure advocating breaking the law is against the forum charter, nox.

Where did I advocate breaking the law? I even said it was illegal :confused:

I was simply saying that I can understand why a LL would do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Even if sold the new owners can't increase the rent like that in a RPZ and should be reported.

is that actually the case ? so if somebody sells me a student slum that was being rented for silly low money and I paint it, clean it up and put in a new kitchen and new furniture I can't turn round and just rent that out at market rate because of the last owner ?

if true then that rule needs to go fast, no wonder landlords are leaving.

is that actually the case ? so if somebody sells me a student slum that was being rented for silly low money and I paint it, clean it up and put in a new kitchen and new furniture I can't turn round and just rent that out at market rate because of the last owner ?

if true then that rule needs to go fast, no wonder landlords are leaving.

Based on my experience viewing apartments as a potential buyer that is the way it works.

I was looking for a place to live in so I didn't care, but prospective investors seem very mindful of current rents for the properties the view as it could prevent them from renting at full market value after purchasing the place (rightly or wrongly, but I assume they know what they are doing). In my experience it tends to give a small price premium to apartments which are owner occupied or rented at full marker value at the time of the sale as some potential investors are only bidding on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Raoul

How can you check if someone is now renting an apartment you were told was being sold after you refused to pay a massive rent increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Raoul wrote: »
    How can you check if someone is now renting an apartment you were told was being sold after you refused to pay a massive rent increase?

Under the Act landlords are legally obliged to register the new tenancy which then shows up on the RTB database here https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/check-if-a-tenancy-is-registered

However Im not 100% convinced of the accuracy of that database as a property I knew to be registered before never showed up on it.

One way of being very sure is to ring the doorbell of the property and explain to whoever answers that you are the previous tenant and are just asking if there is any post there for you. Once you strike up a conversation with them it shouldnt be too difficult to name drop your former landlords name and ask how they are finding dealing with him or her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭Raoul

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Under the Act landlords are legally obliged to register the new tenancy which then shows up on the RTB database here https://www.rtb.ie/dispute-resolution/check-if-a-tenancy-is-registered

However Im not 100% convinced of the accuracy of that database as a property I knew to be registered before never showed up on it.

One way of being very sure is to ring the doorbell of the property and explain to whoever answers that you are the previous tenant and are just asking if there is any post there for you. Once you strike up a conversation with them it shouldnt be too difficult to name drop your former landlords name and ask how they are finding dealing with him or her.

The property I was interested is registered there but that could just mean it wasn't unregistered?

Each to his own you mean. Increase in rent in this case if property has been renovated OP is only assuming  without viewing.

The renovations necessary to meet the requirements of the law would take more than the time outlined by OP.

I also assume the house is up online for rent and as such can be viewed by whoever wants to view it.
    so now were experts on renovations .  Look there is to much I think  on this the OP doesnt know all of the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

so now were experts on renovations .  Look there is to much I think  on this the OP doesnt know all of the information.

I don’t think you need to be an expert. Probably many posters here have been in some way involved in house renovations. It’s hardly a rare occurence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Raoul wrote: »
    The property I was interested is registered there but that could just mean it wasn't unregistered?

I am not sure if I understand you here.

If a property is registered with the RTB then yes, you can be pretty sure that the property is rented out to someone.

Landlords have to pay a fee to the RTB to register the property so I cannot think of any reason why they would do this unless they are renting it. They have to register it within one month of a lease being signed with the tenant so the registration comes after the actual renting of the property and not before it.

You could indeed have a situation where a property is registered but the tenants have moved out and now the property is lying empty. I would think this would be very unusual as the landlord would be still paying his mortgage on an empty property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

As good an example as any why part time landlords should be driven out of the business in this country. Unlikely that anyone running property letting as a full time business would abuse tenants like this.

Advertisement