Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ex landlord advertising house for rental!

Options
  • 29-03-2018 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I lived in a shared house for the last 5 years, with others who have come and gone. The landlord served us notice to leave as they were selling the property. Two months after us moving out the property is back up on daft with a couple of carpets replaced for 1000e a month more (it's in a rent pressure zone). If I go through the RTB is there much that they can/ will do? I have signed a new lease elsewhere so it's not really practical to move back in.

I see they are probably breaking section 34 of 2004 tenancy act.. just unsure will anything be done and if it's worth pursuing. Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

anodos wrote:
    I see they are probably breaking section 34 of 2004 tenancy act.. just unsure will anything be done and if it's worth pursuing. Any ideas? Thanks

Definitely go to the RTB. This carry on shouldn't be tolerated and will only stop when landlords get heavy fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

anodos wrote: »
    I lived in a shared house for the last 5 years, with others who have come and gone. The landlord served us notice to leave as they were selling the property. Two months after us moving out the property is back up on daft with a couple of carpets replaced for 1000e a month more (it's in a rent pressure zone). If I go through the RTB is there much that they can/ will do? I have signed a new lease elsewhere so it's not really practical to move back in.

So you were asked to leave a place that was your home for 5 years because the landlord wanted to sell the property? You played ball, found another place and moved out. Are you paying more in rent than you were previously?
    The LL has skirted the rent pressure zone rules that others are complying with. He inconvenienced you & lied in order to increase the rent by €1000(!!!) a month.
    You are wondering if you should report him? I think you should screen shot the new ad & open a case with the RTB straight away. People like your ex-LL are part of the reason why LL’s get negative press.
    If more people believed in right & wrong and did something about it - these people will get away with these things less & less.

Should you report it? Absolutely you should!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

April 73 wrote: »
    So you were asked to leave a place that was your home for 5 years because the landlord wanted to sell the property? You played ball, found another place and moved out. Are you paying more in rent than you were previously?
    The LL has skirted the rent pressure zone rules that others are complying with. He inconvenienced you & lied in order to increase the rent by €1000(!!!) a month.
    You are wondering if you should report him? I think you should screen shot the new ad & open a case with the RTB straight away. People like your ex-LL are part of the reason why LL’s get negative press.
    If more people believed in right & wrong and did something about it - these people will get away with these things less & less.

Should you report it? Absolutely you should!

Agree with all that, but I am wondering what will happen in practice?

Can the landlord be fined or forced to pay sigificant compensation to their previous tenant for illegally evicting them and does it happen in practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anodos

I’d be interested to hear the answer to bob24 s questions. I also suspect that given they replaced the carpets etc they’ll argue refurbishment is justification. It’s very bad of them.

I’m paying a similar amount in rent now but for a far smaller house, that I was lucky to get at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

The government recently outlined the level of refurbishment works that need to be carried out in order to evict tenants on this basis. It involves major structural changes and not simply a carpet change and lick of paint. Given the recent housing and rental market situation I would proceed with this as if you don't it's another landlord getting away with bending the rules.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. After reading the relevant links it sounds like they don’t have a leg to stand on, especially as they lied on their reason for eviction.

Another question - I’m looking at going through the rtb dispute resolution process, I take it that’s the advisable way to do things. I’m thinking of going with adjudication as i doubt mediation will get anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Another thing that has also not been mentioned is that he is legally required to give your first choice if he decides to rent it again within 6months. As a landlord I hate the RPZ rules but we have to play the game to best of our ability and not cheat. This LL has left him self right open and has shot himself in the foot by not giving you first choice and more importantly not doing enough to renovate the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

House could have been sold.

That did cross my mind and would be nice to believe but it hasn’t had any sign outside, and they’ve been redoing it since we moved out, and it’s not on the property register, so I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

davo10 wrote: »
    House could have been sold.

Even if sold the new owners can't increase the rent like that in a RPZ and should be reported.

• Advertisement

That did cross my mind and would be nice to believe but it hasn’t had any sign outside, and they’ve been redoing it since we moved out, and it’s not on the property register, so I doubt it.

It can take time for it to show on property price register and depending on situation some do not have signs when they are sold. The point of contact on the ad. That would be most telling if it was sold. Likewise if you have proof it was never advertised. It will help your case even more

It was certainly never advertised for sale (does it have to be?). It's a letting agent advertising for rent it so I can't tell from that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Fol20 wrote: »
    It can take time for it to show on property price register and depending on situation some do not have signs when they are sold. The point of contact on the ad. That would be most telling if it was sold. Likewise if you have proof it was never advertised. It will help your case even more

New owner is still tied to previous rent + 4% rules so even if it has been sold the new landlord is breaking the law.

Or it hasn’t been sold and the old landlord has broken the law.

Either way the OP should report it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

It was certainly never advertised for sale (does it have to be?). It's a letting agent advertising for rent it so I can't tell from that..

Yes- it does have to be (offered for sale). No- it doesn't have to have a sign outside- it could be sold by any of a long list of possible methods (such as the very popular XBid (formerly Allsop) auctions- who have over 200 residential properties for sale in April alone).

However- if it is let by a new owner- the rent you paid- is the rent associated with the property- the rent is not reset because the property was sold (this is why a property that was let in the previous 2 years- is of very limited interest to landlords- their hands are tied.

Thanks for the information everyone, I'm going to submit the dispute to the RTB shortly. I'll keep ye updated but I imagine it'll take a while to be resolved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Get over it.

Unfortunately no one has to. Housing, like education and health is and should be protected.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

As a landlord who hates scumbag tenants and scumbag landlords equally, I'd say that you have been illegally evicted and you should pursue this with the RTB.

You could be in line for 5 figure compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Absolutely ****ing crucify him for you and all the other tenants dealing with this crap.

sugarman wrote: »
    Ever buy a house? Takes a hell of a lot longer than 2 months to go through!

I've been buying and selling residential and commercial properties since 1997, over 30 at this stage. Many have been cash transactions and a lot have taken less than 2 months. Yes, is the answer to your question.

• Advertisement

I've been buying and selling residential and commercial properties since 1997, over 30 at this stage. Many have been cash transactions and a lot have taken less than 2 months. Yes, is the answer to your question.

I would like to be in your enviable position right now but with respect I presume times have changed and buying back in the day was much quicker.now days yes it still can be done. I even got a place in 30 days however most do take a min of 3 months or longer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would like to be in your enviable position right now but with respect I presume times have changed and buying back in the day was much quicker.now days yes it still can be done. I even got a place in 30 days however most do take a min of 3 months or longer

And thats presuming there is nothing unusual with the title deeds and no chains involved etc.......... 12 weeks is a good yardstick- you may get lucky but its prudent to assume you won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Thanks for the information everyone, I'm going to submit the dispute to the RTB shortly. I'll keep ye updated but I imagine it'll take a while to be resolved!

Just be sure to document everything, screenshots/archive pages etc.

Agreed, I have used the same solicitor for most of the last 20 years so he knows the story, also I use the same tradesmen no matter where it is in the country. Over 60% of all property sales are cash purchases so it's not unusual for the transaction times to be short. In my experience, title issues are unusual, unless you buy at auction. Hold ups are often due to the vendors solicitor not being on the ball so I always make sure that if I'm buying, I ask if the vendor is ready to wrap it up quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

RTB are very fair in my experience (as a landlord) you will get a good outcome but it wont be fast. As a landlord who treats tenants with respect I can say the whole thing does not have to be as hard as many scumbag landlords and scumbag tenants make it.
    I got a very fair RTB judgment and got a fair court judgment also but unfortunately the scumbag tenant who trashed my house has nothing to take off him.
    Its quite different in your case, You deserve and hopefully will get compensation and justice for yourself and the good tenants and good landlords out there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭tradesman

Agreed, I have used the same solicitor for most of the last 20 years so he knows the story, also I use the same tradesmen no matter where it is in the country. Over 60% of all property sales are cash purchases so it's not unusual for the transaction times to be short. In my experience, title issues are unusual, unless you buy at auction. Hold ups are often due to the vendors solicitor not being on the ball so I always make sure that if I'm buying, I ask if the vendor is ready to wrap it up quickly.

I have sold at auction before & they made sure all docs were in place before the auction or the property didnt get into the auction

tradesman wrote: »
    I have sold at auction before & they made sure all docs were in place before the auction or the property didnt get into the auction

Problem properties may have an issue with structure or title, all the docs may be present, but that does not mean there is no issue with them. Some auctioneers will not bring a problem property to auction, but many will, bidders are advised of the status of the property in advance of bidding.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP , was the Landlord fair with their deals with you up until this point ?   was the rent market rate or below ? how do now what has been done to the property ? Have you been in the property since leaving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

OP , was the Landlord fair with their deals with you up until this point ?   was the rent market rate or below ? how do now what has been done to the property ? Have you been in the property since leaving ?

Here comes the landlord.

OP, let us know how much compensation you end up getting. A party for the people of boards is always welcomed ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Why does any of that matter?

Advertisement