Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Nintendo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I have a few Game&Watch consoles.
    Others tried to match them, Tomy for example, but no one came close.
    I have the DK one myself, and a few others.
    Nice to collect.

One of the most traumatic experiences of my childhood was sitting on an airplane in 1987 and realising I’d left Rain Shower behind in the hotel!! I never got it back.

I still have a few and they all play perfectly - Green House, Zelda, Lifeboat and of course DK2.

Game and Watch, wow.
    Have this guy in my parents house, somewhere:

800px-Mariobrosgandwgame.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never had them at the time, instead I picked them up in recent years.
    I started with Ball, the reissue from Club Nintendo.
    After that it was just keeping an eye on Adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Last post on this as I don’t want to hijack the thread, but for anyone interested in the Game & Watch series this book is definitely worth picking up

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/09/book_review_the_unofficial_game_and_watch_collectors_guide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

I had the Donkey Kong Game & Watch. I got it in a swop with one of my friends - can’t remember what I swopped but I definitely came out best. It was brilliant. My older brothers even loved it. Never seen a LCD based game play like it. It was basically an ‘80s DS. Recently watched a YouTube video of one and the sights and sounds brought it all back.

I don’t have it any more. When the battery(s) were low, the LCD would start to fade. I discovered that heating it on a radiator for a while would give it a bit more life. One day, at another friends house where the rads were off, we put the game on top of his old gas cooker just above the grill. Five minutes later my precious Game & Watch was melted to the top of his cooker. I was distraught. I did at least get to 999 on it so I’ll always have that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    I had the Donkey Kong Game & Watch. I got it in a swop with one of my friends - can’t remember what I swopped but I definitely came out best. It was brilliant. My older brothers even loved it. Never seen a LCD based game play like it. It was basically an ‘80s DS. Recently watched a YouTube video of one and the sights and sounds brought it all back.

I don’t have it any more. When the battery(s) were low, the LCD would start to fade. I discovered that heating it on a radiator for a while would give it a bit more life. One day, at another friends house where the rads were off, we put the game on top of his old gas cooker just above the grill. Five minutes later my precious Game & Watch was melted to the top of his cooker. I was distraught. I did at least get to 999 on it so I’ll always have that.

:eek:

W T actual F!

I've a bunch of them and the batteries are pretty cheap these days, get them in Lidl, Aldi, Tiger etc.
    Back in the day though I think you had to go to a jewelers to get them, and they'd be all about those pounds and pence, making them ++ expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

:eek:

W T actual F!

I've a bunch of them and the batteries are pretty cheap these days, get them in Lidl, Aldi, Tiger etc.
    Back in the day though I think you had to go to a jewelers to get them, and they'd be all about those pounds and pence, making them ++ expensive.

Yeah they would have been expensive. My eldest brother worked part time in the local pub so he may have stumped up for the batteries. I don’t remember how quickly it went through them. Do you have the DK one?

Off topic but I recently read a book called Super Mario by Jeff Ryan and in it he talks about the G&W creator - Gumpai(?) Yokoi. He seemed like a bit of a genius and was a big influence and mentor to Miyamoto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

My first was a SNES. Had visited relatives in America so seen what it could do first hand. Tempted to buy one again

Took me a good 15 minutes of Google Fu, but I'm certain this was my first introduction to gaming:

LightGames-side.jpg

Crazy little device, took those LCD G&W style handhelds, but built them into a projector. The LCD cartridges were interchangeable.

(Very badly shot) video of it in action:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Before I was introduced to Nintendo with the N64, I had a plug-and-play system that was probably ditched after I got the N64.

• Advertisement

Hard to go back alright.

My first ever exposure to games was a electro-mechanical Space Invaders clone.
    They worked with cables, springs, motors and leds, you would launch a rocket and a little plastic panel would illuminate and travel up a wire along the screen until it met a badguy where an explosion would be illuminated instead, sound effects and everything!

Something very similar to this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Super Nintendo with Mario allstars, most addictive thing of all time, back then I had to share with 2 brothers and the problem of parents who were always complaining that we werent outside instead

• Registered Users Posts: 22,006 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Street Fighter 2 SNES bundle along with Super Soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Street Fighter 2 SNES bundle along with Super Soccer

I can still remembers where the hotpots to score from are!

I never enjoyed soccer games at all, sports games in general.
    But it was my understanding that ISS was where it was at with the SNES.

I'm not usually a big fan myself, it was more my friends that were into them, they were great for couch coop. Sensible soccer was another great one. The gameplay was excellent.
    Another snes game I really loved beyond the obvious ones was the lost vikings. Went back to it recently and found it should of stayed in the past unfortunately. Like goldeneye in that sense.

iamtony wrote: »
    I'm not usually a big fan myself, it was more my friends that were into them, they were great for couch coop. Sensible soccer was another great one. The gameplay was excellent.
    Another snes game I really loved beyond the obvious ones was the lost vikings. Went back to it recently and found it should of stayed in the past unfortunately. Like goldeneye in that sense.

What was it exactly that made you say that?

I'm curious, because I recently played Fable Anniversary (having played the original on Xbox), and found it very "clunky", wasn't a smooth gaming experience at all. I'm glad I re-played it, but I do find it has tarnished my memory of the original somehow.

Yeah same here, only game I actually hated playing with my brother, he was just too damn good.

'twas grand though, always gave him a thorough pasting in Street Fighter afterwards.

Aside from the likes of SMW, SMAllstars and Super Metroid I have to say my head was turned by Batman Returns, just loved that game, more than the Super Star Wars trilogy of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think I only ever played the demo of Lost Vikings on the Amiga, but a modern game that reminds me of it is Trine

• Advertisement

What was it exactly that made you say that?

I'm curious, because I recently played Fable Anniversary (having played the original on Xbox), and found it very "clunky", wasn't a smooth gaming experience at all. I'm glad I re-played it, but I do find it has tarnished my memory of the original somehow.
    Some games are just best left in your memory because when you replay they it spoils the memories you have of it. Goldeneye is the perfect example for me because in my memory the graphics were great and the controls were perfect but when you play it now you see it hasn't ages well. You just get used to the better controls and graphics.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Nintendo 64, got mario kart and golden eye for christmas 97, the following christmas I got zelda ocarina of time.

It wasn't until 2005 that I got a game cube cheap enough and brought tales of symphonia as it was only on the gamecube at that time and I really wanted to play it, one of the best RPG's I've played and got The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for christmas 2006.

I got a wii in 2008 then and got mario soccer, the 5 aside one,great craic and mario cart. Was glad to have a wii when xenoblade was released in 2011, and now I have a switch and its my favorite nintendo console so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

N64.
    Having come from a C64 and MegaDrive, I was always on the other team to Nintendo, but with Mario 64, Goldeneye, Ocarina of Time, Lylat Wars and ISS (among others), as well as the new controller with rumble(!!) it was too hard to refuse!

Some games are just best left in your memory because when you replay they it spoils the memories you have of it. Goldeneye is the perfect example for me because in my memory the graphics were great and the controls were perfect but when you play it now you see it hasn't ages well. You just get used to the better controls and graphics.

In some cases this is true, but try comparing Super Mario World to New Super Mario Bros, the older game is miles ahead in every regard.
    That's not to say that NSMB isn't a great game, but it's not fit to hold SMW's coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,006 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ISS and ISS Deluxe were the best football games on the SNES.

Turtles in Time and Sunset Riders were good then throw in UN Squadron

In some cases this is true, but try comparing Super Mario World to New Super Mario Bros, the older game is miles ahead in every regard.
    That's not to say that NSMB isn't a great game, but it's not fit to hold SMW's coat.

I agree with you. SMW deserves a spot in the top 5 in its series, and is easily one of the best 2D Mario games, up there with SMB3. Which was probably my first 2D Mario game, BTW.

NSMB is definitely not a bad game, but it is somewhat lacking in comparison to the likes of SMW and SMB3.

No argument here. Super mario world is my goat game.
    Its more the generation after the 16 bit era that didnt age well. Why I don't know.

Its more the generation after the 16 bit era that didnt age well. Why I don't know.

I'd say it would be to do with the fact that the concept of 3D games wasn't so mature back in the mid-late '90s, and that developers were experimenting with approaches to the likes of controls in such games.

3D was simply pretty new and limited as it takes a shed load of power to make 3D visuals look good.
    As a result an awful lot of N64 games look pants.
    But, this titles that embraced their limitations and focused on gameplay still got it, 1080° Snowboarding, Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64 to name three.
    I reckon the Saturn and PS fared the same if not poorer, with much of their 3D content ageing terribly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

My first Nintendo was a Donkey Kong Jr that my Aunt brought over from America. I thought it was a thing of wonder at the time.

Later I picked up a Gameboy but returned it for an Atari Lynx and some rechargeable batteries, ah the innocence of youth.......

First Nintendo console was a SNES with Super Mario World. I got it to play an imported copy of Street Fighter 2, jolly expensive game as I remember. Never got a NES, as I had a Master System to play Out Run and Space Harrier.

Didn't know much about Mario until I stuck the Mario World cart in, nearly as an afterthought. Not immediately impressed but after about 15 mins I was hooked. Never played such a well built game before (apart from SF2!), just perfection.

Then I saw this imported mode 7 racing game being played in a shop, I remember being utterly amazed. So Mario kart was added to my collection. I still maintain that the original MK is the purest driving experience of the series.

Advertisement