Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Nintendo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm surprised there aren't more people who started with the Wii tbh, given the sheer volume of systems it sold, or the GBA, for the same reasons.

I think because allot of the buyers were one off gamers bought the systems due to hype/marketing and played for awhile but never bought another console or never developed any interest in gaming

• Registered Users Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

My first Nintendo console was the GameCube. I still have it in fact. Would never sell it. I also had 3 DS computers. Two of the first version and one of the version when it got revamped and smaller. I had a Wii as well one of the first ones in fact and loved it but I eventually sold it unfortunately but had grown out of it. As for the Switch well the nephew has one but it does not do anything for me. I think its just a very expensive handheld computer and if that's what you want your better getting a DS. That's my opinion anyway.
    I would have loved to have played some of the Nintendo computers before the Gamecube but never have. The first gaming computer in our house as an Atari which belonged to the brother and it met a very sad ending. It blew up one day after someone tried to use the wrong voltage setting on the plug for it as the original plug went missing and then a PS1.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I feel old, my first was a game and watch donkey kong 2 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

jester77 wrote: »
    I feel old, my first was a game and watch donkey kong 2 :o

Well it’s first Nintendo, so not strictly indicative of age. My first console was an Atari 2600 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Inviere wrote: »
    Well it’s first Nintendo, so not strictly indicative of age. My first console was an Atari 2600 :o

Same here :)

• Advertisement

jester77 wrote: »
    Same here :)

Now we can both feel old, well, until Cidey comes along....:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now we can both feel old, well, until Cidey comes along....:p

:(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Did anyone ever have to defend their choosing Nintendo over, say Sony or Sega, depending on your era?
    I know, when I was a MD owner, I was desperate to prove that Road Rash 2 was better than Super Mario Kart, might have lost at the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭ninja 12

My first Nintendo ( and first console :) ) was the NES Classic Mini from last year .

An uncle of mine had a heap of the Nintendo Game and Watch games - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_%26_Watch

and friends / cousins had Atari / NES systems .

Myself , I had a Commodore 64 ( I have the C64 Mini in the post from Amazon )

Did anyone ever have to defend their choosing Nintendo over, say Sony or Sega, depending on your era?
    I know, when I was a MD owner, I was desperate to prove that Road Rash 2 was better than Super Mario Kart, might have lost at the time though.

Not during the golden era, but from the GameCube, right up to the Wii U...Ninty fans got some sideways looks. That said, I thought the GC was the best machine of that gen, and still do. The Switch though, seems to have set the record straight a little, and gained Ninty some much owed respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Nintendo DS 3D XL in 2013 Fire Emblem Edition in metallic blue with a filigree pattern embossed on the outside. It was also my last Nintendo. No more adverts have been seen in the long time like the one of Nicole Kidman learning a new language on such machine. I traded in my Nintendo to Gamestop in mid 2017. Bought PC Game along with 3 SD cards and some other bits & pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Snes was my first Nintendo console super mario world pack.
    I'm so disappointed you were that mega drive guy. Only recently my mega drive friend, some 20 years later finally admitted the snes was better. Those were the days of swapping consoles with your mates. Good Times. I remember swapping my snes with a friend who had an amstrad or something and it came with the big monitor and I had to carry it home which was a few streets over.

OSI wrote: »
    The Switch is the first console I've ever had a game backlog in. I've consistently had one on PC, but on consoles I've always just fallen from one AAA release to another with periods of inactivity in between them, there's never been enough to keep me consistently engaged long enough. That I think is where it comes closer to childhood consoles for me, the days and days of plowing hours into the same game. Never got that excitement from other consoles.
    This is when it clicks that the gameplay that comes with Nintendo ownership beats the triple a titles the others have that just don't quite match up once you get over the superficial stuff. Nintendo have always known it but just can't convince the "hardcore gamers".
    I was big into games and switched to the play stations after the Nintendo 64 but after that games became like chores to play and eventually I just stopped playing, I'd get the next big release and play half of it or regain interest with the release of the ps2/3. Then I got the Wii U for my son who didn't want it and just wanted fifa and call of duty with his mates on the ps3 and I rediscovered the Nintendo magic and I haven't looked back since.
    Nintendo till I die:)

If I give you my Xbox One X for the weekend, will your ma let you loan me your PlayStation 4 Pro? - said nobody ever :(

If I give you my Xbox One X for the weekend, will your ma let you loan me your PlayStation 4 Pro? - said nobody ever :(

True story! Sad times.
    I was always envious of my mega drive mate secretly with his blood splatters in mortal combat. I'll give them that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

iamtony wrote: »
    True story! Sad times.
    I was always envious of my mega drive mate secretly with his blood splatters in mortal combat. I'll give them that one!

Only if you knew the DULLARD cheat code. :)

(crap, was trying to find a screenshot of Nam from Bad Influence with the code stuck to his head. And, no I won't post a pic of Violet as consolation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I initially had to do it last year when i first got the Switch. 2 lads at work are ps4 owners, one of which has the pro with a 4k tv. They mocked a little at first when i said i was getting it even though i already had Xbox One. As soon as i brought it to work though and we started having Mario kart and fifa matches their opinions changed a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Snes with all stars pack in and f-zero. I can still remember sick days off school running around in the snow levels in mario 1 and the lost levels.. feels like some magical time to think about it now.

Not long after I got a yellow gameboy with donkey kong land packed in and my brother got the same but with mario land. Simpler times, would love to go back and experience it again.

About 6 years ago I started collecting snes stuff after I sold all my originals. Proud owner of 3 modded snes 60hz consoles and 100 + - games :) - I won't make the mistake of selling them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just wondering what was everyone's first Nintendo?

For me it was Wii U.

Me being born in Poland in early 80s so started my gaming/computer adventure late 80s, Nintendo was pretty much completely inaccessible for us then due to very high price.

Not only hardware was too dear, but games on cartridges were not really copiable, and buying original ones was financially completely out of the question.
    That's why everyone sticked to atari XL/XE, commodore c64 and later amiga500. And obviously pc and all DOS games, as all of those has easily pirated games.

And as Nintendo missed those times on Polish market, they also didn't gain popularity with GameCube and Wii as people were not really familiar with their games/consoles.

Switch is actually first Nintendo console offered in official distribution there in Poland afaik.

So I just bought Wii U just for craic not knowing much about it, and I love it now.

I had a series of Sega and Nintendo hardware, buying selling and then buying again.
    A habit I don't seem to be able to break!
    But my SNES was from launch, SMW was great but I remember being a poor ignorant Muppet and loving Starwing on my PAL SNES via RF!
    Gods but I knew every secret in that game.
    Played Lylat Wars to death too, on the N64.

No one seems to speak of the N64 with much affection, yet it was home to SM64, FZeroX, Waverace64, Pilotwings 64 and tons of other great titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Speaking of swaps, the SNES was my first "proper" Nintendo console when I swapped it for my 3D0. Bought the 3D0 second hand with a few games that looked pretty but were pretty dull and end up swapping it for the SNES with 30-odd games, including a load of Japanese imports and an adapter.

I bought the 3DO new!
    Now that was an expensive console!
    But it had Road Rash and The Need for Speed, which were, and remain, amazing.
    Still have that model 3DO in my collection, the FZ1, all these years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I ended up getting it back a couple of years later when the same guy was having a clear out. It's a Goldstar model and still in my parent's attic with a busted joypad port as far as I know. I should dig it out some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

SNES. And I still have it to this day!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Got the Nes in 88, with duck Hunt, gyromite and a the robot, was pretty cool at the time. Had a Gameboy 1st edition, Skipped the SNES, then got a Gameboy color, N64 was next, then a GameCube.

17 years after giving up video games, I got a NES and a SNES classic to keep me going. Regularly play Dr Mario, Tetris and super Mario brothers 1&3.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

My first was a Gameboy as well though a bit late in the day as it was Christmas of 1993. Quinsworth were selling them without any game for (from memory) £30 Irish punts. Even then it was a big mark in price. Worth every penny.

E mac wrote:
    My first was a Gameboy as well though a bit late in the day as it was Christmas of 1993. Quinsworth were selling them without any game for (from memory) £30 Irish punts. Even then it was a big mark in price. Worth every penny.

That sounds very low. I thought it was about £70 back then

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭E mac

Ya it was. Believe me if it was 70 pounds my mother definitely wouldn't have bought me one! As I said it was just the console and by then the Gameboy was around a while possibly getting rid of stock maybe?

E mac wrote:
    Ya it was. Believe me if it was 70 pounds my mother definitely wouldn't have bought me one! As I said it was just the console and by then the Gameboy was around a while possibly getting rid of stock maybe?

You got an absolute bargain, must have had old stock. With Tetris is was 70 pounds in the UK. I would have bought a few spares for 30! Here's the ad with the price for 70(Tetris included)

https://youtu.be/2Mvb9olYVlg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

My first Nintendo console was the N64.

The other Nintendo consoles I had early in my gaming life were the Game Boy, GBC, GBA SP and GameCube.

Advertisement