Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Notices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

snuff used to be a big thing at funerals, you don't see much of it nowadays...

ah right, the snuff tobacco you sniff up - is that the term where snuffed it come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

God, I thought that was a joke thing about relic of! :eek:

Relict, Andy - Relict. A relic is a different thing altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I always think that "remains" has a kind of unsavoury sound: whatever's left ...leftovers...bits and pieces...something like that.

The "remains" of the dead person...as if the tiger who ate them didn't leave much, just a few scraps, an odd bone or two.

When I was small listening to the news I thought everyone had died in a bomb blast and inside the coffin there would be a few bits and pieces of what was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The remains will cover almost all cases. If you managed to mutilate yourself and all that was left was an arm, then remains would be a lot more appropriate than a body.

ah right, the snuff tobacco you sniff up - is that the term where snuffed it come from?

It's often cited as the origin of the term but some believe it's from snuff, as in to extinguish, because it was used in areas of England where snuff at a wake was not a tradition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

RichT wrote: »
    They should announce each death as....... "shuffled off this mortal coil"

He has "merged with the infinite".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I sometimes say
    "Popped his clogs" or "Kicked the bucket" My Wife tuts and rolls her eyes I should be ashamed I know

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say.

haha - I do that .. i'm like this big schpeel and then I'm like "now, what was I going to say?"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Are you a Fianna Fail county councillor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

You give lessons to politicians, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

jester77 wrote: »
    The remains will cover almost all cases. If you managed to mutilate yourself and all that was left was an arm, then remains would be a lot more appropriate than a body.

That would have to be the one surviving arm that you did the mutilating with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

topper75 wrote: »
    He has "merged with the infinite".

"Ceased to be. Joined the choir eternal."

Definitely not pining for the fjords...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The cadaver will be horizontal in the funeral home between 5pm and 8pm. Then we’ll wheel it into the church then fling it into the big hole John Joe dug a while ago.

I want that for my funeral notice :D
    _Dara_ wrote: »
    My dad was and still is obsessed with the death notices. His local radio station runs them at 8am, 10am and 5pm. He listens to them all. It was so goddamn depressing getting ready for school every morning to the soundtrack of death.

Older people generally are. Outside Dublin anyway. My mother couldn't get through the day without listening to the death notices.

I remember a neighbour of mine who was well over 90 who got a laptop and the internet connected in her home so she could go on to rip.ie and see which of the neighbours she had outlived each day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

God, I thought that was a joke thing about relic of! :eek:

roflol! For the laughter, THANK YOU My first belly laugh in ages.

I use "gone home" often. A gentle one...

I often wanted to have the arrangements for the funeral to include "House Private, until after the search."

Slightly off topic, but I work at seeking ancestors for folk and wander round "reiligs"

One epitaph was on a stone "book". separate from the headston

"She Was A Woman Of Substance Who Loved Nothing More Than A Chat And A Good Cup Of Tea."

Burrishoole abbey, near Newport . Co Mayo

Graces7 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I work at seeking ancestors for folk and wander round "reiligs"

One epitaph was on a stone "book". separate from the headston

"She Was A Woman Of Substance Who Loved Nothing More Than A Chat And A Good Cup Of Tea."

Burrishoole abbey, near Newport . Co Mayo

That's right beside

"Here lies poor colour blind Ted. Thought the lights were green when they were red."

I like "see I told you they were sick!" ... :D

• Advertisement

I like "see I told you they were sick!" ... :D

That's on Spike Milligan's grave stone in Irish.

That's on Spike Milligan's grave stone in Irish.

it is, there is that phil mcCavity one as well about he done his last filling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

My favorite is

Here I lie outside the Chancel door
    They put me here 'cause I was poor
    The further in the more you pay
    But here I lie as snug as they

Kinda puts everything in perspective I always think

Steve F wrote: »
    My favorite is

Here I lie outside the Chancel door
    They put me here 'cause I was poor
    The further in the more you pay
    But here I lie as snug as they

Kinda puts everything in perspective I always think

nice reflection of life as well - we might all want to be rich and have the best, but if we are not we get on with it and make the best of what we have ....

In either Massachusetts or Arizona, I can't remember where I saw it...

Tom Walker
    Atheist
    All dressed up
    And nowhere to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Mine will say -

Free your body and soul
    Unfold your powerful wings
    Climb up the highest mountain
    Kick your feet in the air
    You may now live forever
    Or return to this earth
    Unless you feel good where you are

Its actually the epitaph of a man named John Laird McCaffery in a Montreal cemetery

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

"Here lies Lester Moore, four slugs from a .44, no Les, no more".

in Tombstone, Arizona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Devoted sister, beloved aunt...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Local radio station I know had an unfortunate habit when reading the death notices, for the last one on the list

..... and finally the death has occurred of ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

The newspaper death notices had 'American papers please copy' if the deceased had spent some time there or the deceased was American living in Ireland. Same for English newspapers.

Advertisement