Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death Notices

Options
  • 27-03-2018 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

why do they say "remains" reposing... - sure wouldnt it be nicer to say body reposing or something like that?

also I think I like the word 'passed away' better than died ... a plant 'dies' if you don't water it - or "my car engine 'died' on the way to work this morning" ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,731 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

What do you mean by "something like that"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

that sounds a bit weird. you think :

Body sounds better than Remains

But

Passed away sounds better then died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Christians believe the body is just earthly remains after death. Passed away is a euphemism , died is the tried and tested term. Yes, a plant dies but your car breaks down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

The cadaver will be horizontal in the funeral home between 5pm and 8pm. Then we’ll wheel it into the church then fling it into the big hole John Joe dug a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

'Late residence' is the one that sets off my oul lad. 'What the fcuk do they mean by late, they lost their life not their fcuking house.'

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

"lost their life" - thats nicer than "Died" ...

"Late" .. well thats when you are supposed turn up to something but your not on time ... your not gonna turn up to something if your dead!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

That lad would be late at his own funeral...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

_Dara_ wrote: »
    The cadaver will be horizontal in the funeral home between 5pm and 8pm. Then we’ll wheel it into the church then fling it into the big hole John Joe dug a while ago.

And if youre lucky, we will stick him in a big oven and bake the bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Describing someone as dead, or saying somebody has died isn’t such an issue with me, however when someone describes a person losing their life as being ‘snuffed out’, kinda gives me the creeps.

Cigarettes are snuffed out, not people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

why do they say "remains" reposing... - sure wouldnt it be nicer to say body reposing or something like that? .

Sometimes the body ain't there.

Americans do actually talk about the cremains. Not sure if ye Irish are ready for that kind of talk yet.

And yes I have been to a funeral with that setup in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,856 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Interesting that some occupations are hinted at in death notices; 'late of An Garda Siochana' or 'late of CIE'....but not others 'late binman' or 'late used car salesman'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

My dad was and still is obsessed with the death notices. His local radio station runs them at 8am, 10am and 5pm. He listens to them all. It was so goddamn depressing getting ready for school every morning to the soundtrack of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

why do they say "remains" reposing... - sure wouldnt it be nicer to say body reposing or something like that?

"remains reposing" is unusual imo

it would normally just say "Reposing tomorrow at X Funeral Home" or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 30,309 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think my local radio station just says reposing at such a place and the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The old man usually refers to burials as people being 'planted' and to those already buried as 'pushing up daises'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I always think that "remains" has a kind of unsavoury sound: whatever's left ...leftovers...bits and pieces...something like that.

The "remains" of the dead person...as if the tiger who ate them didn't leave much, just a few scraps, an odd bone or two.

Whereas Died means exactly that; died. People do die, as do plants; when a living creature stops being alive, it dies, becomes dead. No need to say "passed" as if it was a parked car. Or "passed over" as if they didn't get the job. "Passed away" is just a whisper better, but still sounds like we're afraid to admit they're actually dead.
    And speaking of cars, while people and plants die, engines really don't.

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Describing someone as dead, or saying somebody has died isn’t such an issue with me, however when someone describes a person losing their life as being ‘snuffed out’, kinda gives me the creeps.

Cigarettes are snuffed out, not people.

thats strange, I have heard of "Snuffed it" - as in "he snuffed it" ... but not "snuffed out" to be honest

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My dad was and still is obsessed with the death notices. His local radio station runs them at 8am, 10am and 5pm. He listens to them all. It was so goddamn depressing getting ready for school every morning to the soundtrack of death.

i'm getting ... well, not obsessed , but if its on in the background I do find myself listening out now - see if its someone I know :D - but its a bit like the lotto numbers innit :D "dont know, ... know.... ah blimey so and so has passed away" ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

In an ideal world the death announcements on the radio would just be 'the following people are dead - Jim Ryan, Mary Murphy...'

I have never heard my parents be surprised by a death on the radio. They always already know because it's big gossip. Don't know why they listen to it? It's like it's up in the air if the person is actually dead but the radio confirms it. Still hope after the post mortem but once it's on the radio, its official.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Rick o'Shé used to do similar when he was on 2fm called "dead or alive?" that was interesting, had to guess whether a celebrity was dead or still living. - he's gone now though to the great big RTE Gold on the Dial ....

If it was a cat or dog I would say "ah my Dog died the other day" or "my dog has just died" - if it was a person I would more than likely say "oh you know who passed away the other day..." - I dont like the phrase "passed over" much

Sidebaro wrote: »
    In an ideal world the death announcements on the radio would just be 'the following people are dead - Jim Ryan, Mary Murphy...'

I have never heard my parents be surprised by a death on the radio. They always already know because it's big gossip. Don't know why they listen to it? It's like it's up in the air if the person is actually dead but the radio confirms it. Still hope after the post mortem but once it's on the radio, its official.

I knew a man who used to say he'd turn on the bedside radio in the morning, listen to the death announcements and, if they didn't read out his name, he'd get up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

They should announce each death as....... "shuffled off this mortal coil"

RichT wrote: »
    They should announce each death as....... "shuffled off this mortal coil"

with some people they should say "has at last been put out of their misery" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And calling widows, "relic of.."

Graces7 wrote: »
    And calling widows, "relic of.."

I haven't seen that one used in a death announcement in years.

And it's Relict.

It's a legal term and used mostly in wills nowadays, as it covers Widow and Widower.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

thats strange, I have heard of "Snuffed it" - as in "he snuffed it" ... but not "snuffed out" to be honest

snuff used to be a big thing at funerals, you don't see much of it nowadays...

• Advertisement

God, I thought that was a joke thing about relic of! :eek:

Advertisement