Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The figures have dissapeared from Met Eireanns temperature forecast. So with no scale or no figure, it's simply a chart of meaningless colours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

JCX BXC wrote: »
    The figures have dissapeared from Met Eireanns temperature forecast. So with no scale or no figure, it's simply a chart of meaningless colours.

Probably unleashed it to some software students for the summer holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭learn

In the agricultural data report, why is a nonsensical value always given for Gurteen's percentage of average sunshine ?

learn wrote: »
    In the agricultural data report, why is a nonsensical value always given for Gurteen's percentage of average sunshine ?

Only a population of 393 so it doesn't really matter :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

At least met.ie is simple to navigate.

The UK Met Office has the most atrocious website of any meteorological organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭askU

Where on the new app is the current temperature at local weather station? (It was easily accessible on old app)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

God, I really hate this new weather site. I give up altogether now and Im sticking to the old site. I hope they dont pull it down any time soon. You can't even see proper satelites.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

At first I was excited for the new rainfall radar but then I realised the website is a mess. Navigating from one place to another is extremely difficult and sometimes it seems the site is just broken. For some reason every time I visit it, it's trying to detect my location and puts me in a different town every time but never the town I'm actually in.

It's an unusable disaster and I can't believe someone was paid to develop it. If the old archive site ever becomes unavailable I'll be finding a new site to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Pompous wrote: »
    At first I was excited for the new rainfall radar but then I realised the website is a mess. Navigating from one place to another is extremely difficult and sometimes it seems the site is just broken. For some reason every time I visit it, it's trying to detect my location and puts me in a different town every time but never the town I'm actually in.

It's an unusable disaster and I can't believe someone was paid to develop it. If the old archive site ever becomes unavailable I'll be finding a new site to visit.

Agreed 100%. I've given up on that new site months ago, still using the old one plus Netweather and a few others.

Can't believe how ME accepted such a poorly designed and executed excuse for a website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭stevenup7002

Yeah, I've been defaulting to the archived site for most things. It's difficult to find things on the new site, and even when I do find them, they're too frustrating to use compared to archive.met.ie or netweather.

The way the rainfall radar loads in everything dynamically, I can never tell if there's actually no rain on the radar/forecast, or if the image just hasn't loaded yet. Have to wait 5 seconds to be sure.

I do use the outlook on the new site though. Apart from the random location changing as Pompous said, and the awkward sudden change in time scaling beyond two days, I find it useful.

I do use the outlook on the new site though. Apart from the random location changing as Pompous said, and the awkward sudden change in time scaling beyond two days, I find it useful.

Yeah, as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I gave up on the new Beta one, I removed the app from my phone and home computer and just use the old one, I just got so frustrated trying to use the new one time to bin it I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Used the temp map during the heatwave as in fairness, it is handy enough, but use the old site for everything else, but even on that, they have dropped the idea of having Atlantic frontal charts. The new Atlantic, non frontal charts on the new site just does no cut it for me. Maybe I am a traditionalist in this regard, but I don't care.

Also, on the app, my 'current temp' is nearly always off. Must be using Mace Hd readings or something for my location which is useless in the extreme. Would be better if they used the Harmonie temp projection for the current hour or something for any given location as it would be more representative.

All in all, I haven't changed my mind or 'come around' to the idea of this new site at all. Clunky, bulky, too many 'cookie consent', 'new forecast updated' 'can we use your location' notifications going on when you first go on the site. Too much clicking involved before you can even get to view the home page properly. And that all invasive, one toned blue, just horrible.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Since when they replaced their new expensive MOBILE_FRIENDLY website with app?
    Smartphone Users: the homepage weather information is best viewed on the new Met Éireann app - please download from your app store.

What was the point to make new website then?
    Well - I presume app is collecting commercial data about users and means a real profit for Met Éireann, so that's why they convince people to use app instead of web.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Does anyone know why ME now have Atlantic charts with warm and cold fronts/occlusions omitted?

41466262250_b230daa100_c.jpg

The Met Office of course, does it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 t00036792

Sorry Met Eireann, i gave it a chance and i hate it. Want radar images, want pressure charts, want the lot! Please leave the old system in place for weather-lovers like me. People who want cloud-scribbles and sunny faces can have the new system. Seriously though, everyone of my colleagues hates it! Will have to resort to the cows facing west or lying down if not or will have to switch allegiances to the UK Met office. New system looks like it was made for idiots!!!
    Cant hack it!
    Ger

t00036792 wrote: »
    Sorry Met Eireann, i gave it a chance and i hate it. Want radar images, want pressure charts, want the lot! Please leave the old system in place for weather-lovers like me.

http://archive.met.ie/

But not sure how long they will keep it alive ...

The future of met.ie will be a dumbed down site with just symbols. Pressure charts, rainfall radar and any of the good stuff will be a state secret. Staff in met eireann will be replaced by automated weather generating programmes to deliver the predicted forecasts with just a handful of lower paid workers. Any contingency needs will be backed off to the UK met office.

Any other reasons for dumbing down the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Comhra wrote: »
    Does anyone know why ME now have Atlantic charts with warm and cold fronts/occlusions omitted?

41466262250_b230daa100_c.jpg

The Met Office of course, does it properly.

Not only that, but the perspective of that map is all wrong. Greenland and Scandinavia both look disproportionally enormous compared to the rest of Europe. This, in turn, distorts the look of the weather patterns also. Even small lows and highs will look huge the further north they are on such a 'flat' map. I could never understand the reasoning as to why such false perspective maps like this are used in the first place.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Joe Public wrote: »
    The future of met.ie will be a dumbed down site with just symbols. Pressure charts, rainfall radar and any of the good stuff will be a state secret. Staff in met eireann will be replaced by automated weather generating programmes to deliver the predicted forecasts with just a handful of lower paid workers. Any contingency needs will be backed off to the UK met office.

Any other reasons for dumbing down the website?

Yes so they can charge for real information ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Is there any way to change the timescale on the new radar map?
    The old gave about 6 hours of images but the new one is only 2 which is not much help tbh, even 6 hours wasn't quite enough  but now it's practically useless to me.

Joe Public wrote: »
    The future of met.ie will be a dumbed down site with just symbols. Pressure charts, rainfall radar and any of the good stuff will be a state secret.

There will be live streaming of some reality shows instead - Love Island or MetEireann Got Talent for example. Plus real time info about latest promotions and discounts near you. Plus some political agenda from our Party leaders.

And in case you don't want to use it, Leo will block UK websites like he wants to block UK airplanes from flying over Ireland airspace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Something that's bugged me for a while is how met.ie stick to weather outlooks based on the provinces (plus Dublin on it's own for some equally questionable reason).

Weather does not work like this.

I live in east Waterford so using the Met site and putting in my location as Waterford City I get a forecast outlook that is almost irrelevant. Fine for Tralee or even Cork so I've given them New Ross to base my chances of getting wet on. Predictably it much more useful, so if the weather people are reading this please re-configure your regional forecasts to NW/SW/NE/SE/Midlands and drop Dublin, simply no need for that.

This is a bit crude but you get the idea.

2JZKV.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Nice to see that after fixing a few teething issues, nothing has been done to the site whatsoever in the last several weeks. Still issues with the app telling me I'm in Dublin, pitiful radar, no current observations, etc, but sure they can just ignore that as long as it works somewhat.

Disappointing MÉ.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Something that's bugged me for a while is how met.ie stick to weather outlooks based on the provinces (plus Dublin on it's own for some equally questionable reason).

Weather does not work like this.

I live in east Waterford so using the Met site and putting in my location as Waterford City I get a forecast outlook that is almost irrelevant. Fine for Tralee or even Cork so I've given them New Ross to base my chances of getting wet on. Predictably it much more useful, so if the weather people are reading this please re-configure your regional forecasts to NW/SW/NE/SE/Midlands and drop Dublin, simply no need for that.

This is a bit crude but you get the idea.

I agree. Galway is on the border. So you have to look at two regional forecasts & take an average

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

The 3hr and short range forecasts are now gone from the archive site :(
    "This product is no longer being produced. Please view the alternative hourly Numerical Weather Prediction model forecast images on the weather map at the top of our homepage at www.met.ie"

Are there any statistics published (I presume they made a proper research) what are visitors looking for mostly while going to Met Eireann website: type(rains/sun) -or- temperature -or- winds -or- rain gauge ?
    I go to old archive website mainly for rainfall radar, it tells me most information I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

What I miss most about old site is the county borders on the rainfall radar map. Really hard to know exactly where the rain is without these imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭axe2grind

The 3hr and short range forecasts are now gone from the archive site :(
    "This product is no longer being produced. Please view the alternative hourly Numerical Weather Prediction model forecast images on the weather map at the top of our homepage at www.met.ie"
    :mad: so mad about, the one on new site is just not useable. I am the weather buff in my household, but everyone in the house still uses the archive site because the content there is easy to understand. I am sure I would be happy to use the new site if it had the same clear content of the archive site

Advertisement