Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

controversial comedians

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I don't like comedians that pick on actual people. You can come out with all the racist jokes you like and I won't give a shit but when Frankie Boyle did that joke about Jordans son raping her it really turned me off him. Especially as there wasn't much of a joke to it and he just came across as a prick. Then the hypocrite has the nerve to whine about Jeremy Clarkson.

The Richard Hammond is joke is pretty good too. I love Frankie Boyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Andrew Dice Clay for one.

Was subject to constant harrassment from gay campaigners at his peak . His movie Ford Failine was massively impacted by this, producers were threatened over it and widespread distrubution was canned. He also got heavy guff from the Christian Right in America at the time.

There's a great interview with him on Larry King from the early 90s. The first time he ever appeared out of character in the media.

He can't undrrstand why his satire is being misconstrued as genine sentiment.

He cultivated the Dice character from his experiences in his youth growing up in a rough section of Brooklyn which was mainly populated by scummy Italians and Jews.

He was paroding that culture in his act.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭drillyeye

Bill Burr. Funny guy. Random selection below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

EPAndlee wrote: »
    The Richard Hammond is joke is pretty good too. I love Frankie Boyle

Yeah he's great. Without him there would be no one brave enough to make jokes about disabled kids raping their mothers. Take that, retarded children lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

does anyone know the link between Karl Spain and Kevin Bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Leilak wrote: »
    does anyone know the link between Karl Spain and Kevin Bridges?

A large Big Mac meal with McFlurry and chocolate milkshake?

I think there’s big distinction between comedians nowadays. There’s almost two different types; the stand ups and the ones looking to get on tv panel shows and milk that for all it’s worth.

The Fringe in Edinburgh is a good example, it’s gotten a bit beige with the stand ups, they’re all afraid of causing offence and it so tame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

LLMMLL wrote: »
    For some reason offense has become the most taboo of human emotions and we're all pretending that we never get offended.

Take the SNL Irish sketch recently. That thread is full of people who "weren't offended by it but.....". Actually you were offended, and that's fine. Stop pretending you had an issue with it because it wasn't funny or it was inaccurate.

There's plenty of things I find offensive. And me being offended or saying I'm offended does not mean I think there should be a law stopping people from being offensive.

Which Irish Sketch? The Aer Lingus one, or the dating show with incest?
    My brother laughed his head off at both, I just found the latter one funny, the Aer Lingus one was pretty okay, just thought it could have been funnier.
    Andrew Dice Clay for one.

Was subject to constant harrassment from gay campaigners at his peak . His movie Ford Failine was massively impacted by this, producers were threatened over it and widespread distrubution was canned. He also got heavy guff from the Christian Right in America at the time.

There's a great interview with him on Larry King from the early 90s. The first time he ever appeared out of character in the media.

He can't undrrstand why his satire is being misconstrued as genine sentiment.

He cultivated the Dice character from his experiences in his youth growing up in a rough section of Brooklyn which was mainly populated by scummy Italians and Jews.

He was paroding that culture in his act.

Clay is a poor example-he had one joke, one-and he wore it out. The adventures of Ford Fairlane had Joel Silver producing, and Renny Harlin directing. The screenwriter hated working with Clay, even had his name taken off of the film. The movie was almost cancelled before filming because Clay, according to Silver, was 'too fat'. Had a very large budget, $40 million (For comparison, the Rocketeer, a special effects driven film with some major set pieces, cost roughly the same). Ford barely made half it's budget back.

Ford Fairlane was the second big winner at the Razzies, in 1991, after Ghosts Can't do it. 6 Nominations, 3 wins-one for Clay, one for worst script, and tied with GCDI for Worst Picture.

Roger Ebert gave it 1/4-and summed it up as
    "The Adventures of Ford Fairlane" is a movie about a hero I didn't like, chasing villains I didn't hate, in a plot I didn't understand. It is also loud, ugly and mean-spirited. That makes it the ideal vehicle for Andrew Dice Clay, a comedian whose humor is based upon hating those not in the room for the entertainment of those present.

Also made the bottom 10 worst movies of the Year with Gene Siskel and Ebert.

Clay's follow up, Dice Rules, was shoved onto some other distributor (after Ford Fairlane's disastrous run), and was met with 3 razzie nominations.
    And Siskel and Ebert gave the movie an even worse review.
    "Dice Rules is one of the most appalling movies I have ever seen. It could not be more damaging to the career of Andrew Dice Clay if it had been made as a documentary by someone who hated him. The fact that Clay apparently thinks this movie is worth seeing is revealing and sad, indicating that he not only lacks a sense of humor, but also ordinary human decency.” — Roger Ebert

Siskel was harsher-he called Clay 'boring'...the very worst criticism a so-called entertainer can hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Advertisement

I completely agree.
    I live here so normally try to get to a good few shows during August.

The only stand outs I can remember were Bo Burnham and Tommy Tiernan (yes really, I'm not a huge fan but he was very good last year).

I think they're aware of that now which is why they're trying to move away from relying predominantly on comedy shows.

It also explains why shows like Game of Thrones: the Musical, Tape Face Boy and the Depressed Clown did well. They at least offered something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Friend of mine has old Mike Reid, “Jethro” and chubby brown videos and we watched some of them over Christmas. Hilarious for the most part although some of it is in bad taste.

You must have watched a different Jethro.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I completely agree.
    I live here so normally try to get to a good few shows during August.

The only stand outs I can remember were Bo Burnham and Tommy Tiernan (yes really, I'm not a huge fan but he was very good last year).

I think they're aware of that now which is why they're trying to move away from relying predominantly on comedy shows.

It also explains why shows like Game of Thrones: the Musical, Tape Face Boy and the Depressed Clown did well. They at least offered something different.

Burnham's been killing it for a long time. Had a tv show for a while, too-he's now directing.

There's this really irritating 'don't offend people' line of comedy that's just...ugh.
    Tiernan at least tries, even if at times, he fails to 'get the funny'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

decky1 wrote: »
    been watching old clips of Bernard Manning it's great to see a time when we could enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh without the worry of offending anyone like it is now , I also love Frankie Boyle, chubby brown etc, .does anyone else enjoy this type of comedy and why do we live in an age where people are so offended by jokes or comments?:)

In fairness, I think Roy Chubby Brown was always controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

In fairness, I think Roy Chubby Brown was always controversial.

All those guys (surprised he didn’t include the lovely Jim Davidson) mentioned by the OP used/use the lowest common denominators in their so called stand up/comedy ie foul language, sexism, racism and taboo subjects such as rape/Pedophilia.......why...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I went to see Chubby Brown once, he used to / maybe still does play Vicar St every November. The worst things about it was all the hilarious drunken hecklers interrupting the whole time. Spoiled it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭threetrees

Dave Allen. You don't find re-runs very often but when they are on I'm reminded how funny he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

threetrees wrote: »
    Dave Allen. You don't find re-runs very often but when they are on I'm reminded how funny he was.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I went to see Chubby Brown once, he used to / maybe still does play Vicar St every November. The worst things about it was all the hilarious drunken hecklers interrupting the whole time. Spoiled it for me

The Drunken hecklers did you a favor. Chubby brown is about as funny as Vladimir Putin

Road-Hog wrote: »
    The Drunken hecklers did you a favor. Chubby brown is about as funny as Vladimir Putin

Putin's supposed to be hilarious, I heard he 'kills' at his shows...*

*allegedly, cos I don't wanna die. 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

My favourite at moment would be either Bill Burr or Doug Standhope. This clip always give me a laugh :D.

Johnathan Pie is another comedienne to check out-he's very 'Carlin-esque' somewhat. Plays the character of a reporter, then proceeds to denounce topics of the day/ week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I remember when Tommy Tiernan did his tour of America. A lot of the yanks were very offended by jokes that would be considered light hearted here.

I remember when Tommy Tiernan did his tour of America. A lot of the yanks were very offended by jokes that would be considered light hearted here.

Well, some of them are light hearted, the others were...not. He tried doing jokes about Jews and the holocaust...in front of a multicultural and diverse group.
    He sank like a stone...

As soon as he started with the Jewish jokes, the audience were like 'oh here it goes...'. It wasn't the same skill level as Bill Burr, for example, or Gabriel Iglesias (not a controversial comic, but able to make fun of all races and groups without being offensive). Tommy did not read the room, and his set piece died. And he could not turn it around. He ended up being apologetic and 'I'm not a racist...'.

It was seriously awkward. He should have practiced that routine with comics who could help him gauge how it would go over. (A recruiter for Letterman, for example, was also a standup-he did give him some pointers-but only on a certain set list for Dave's show).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

im not sure how controversial Stuart Lee is considered to be or how well known he is, but this is the funniest/most intelligent joke Ive seen in a while

he mentions Roy Chubby Brown in that bit, Ive seen some of his sets and most of it is not even humorous, that guy has found a niche and makes a living out of playing to the uneducated section of working class people. He makes Brendan O Carroll look like Bill Hicks. theres a documentary about Roy on youtube, its worth a watch if you have nothing better to do, altho Id recommend finding something better to do

im not sure how controversial Stuart Lee is considered to be or how well known he is, but this is the funniest/most intelligent joke Ive seen in a while

he mentions Roy Chubby Brown in that bit, Ive seen some of his sets and most of it is not even humorous, that guy has found a niche and makes a living out of playing to the uneducated section of working class people. He makes Brendan O Carroll look like Bill Hicks. theres a documentary about Roy on youtube, its worth a watch if you have nothing better to do, altho Id recommend finding something better to do

Uneducated? Sorry, this part had me wondering what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Uneducated? Sorry, this part had me wondering what you mean.

I mean people who dont make an individual effort to learn about different countries,cultures,religions,political theories after they finish secondary school.

When they start working their education finishes because they dont need any more qualifications, and they dont read books or study for enjoyment.

I mean people who dont make an individual effort to learn about different countries,cultures,religions,political theories after they finish secondary school.

When they start working their education finishes because they dont need any more qualifications, and they dont read books or study for enjoyment.

Yeah, I was wondering about that-as some of the great comedic minds (Carlin and Pryor) didn't finish High School-but I'd hardly call them uneducated.

Also, there are many who go beyond secondary school education, and you'll find they don't read books at all-literacy levels have dropped enormously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

mickrock wrote: »
    Bernard Manning's son Bernard Righton was a stand up comedian as well but had a very different act to his father:

Not sure if you were just joking or whatever but Bernard Righton is just a stage character (a sort of overly politically correct parody of the pointless, offensive and racist humour based entirely around mothers-in-law and the blackies nonsense that Bernard Manning was famous for), he used to be an opening act for Steve Coogan's stage show back in the day. The guy who plays him, John Thomson, was also in The Fast Show too (Nice!). Brilliant character actor, he was in Coronation Street about ten years ago as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭threetrees

And my contribution, Dave Allen, on the telley tonight.

Advertisement