Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

controversial comedians

Options
  • 24-03-2018 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

been watching old clips of Bernard Manning it's great to see a time when we could enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh without the worry of offending anyone like it is now , I also love Frankie Boyle, chubby brown etc, .does anyone else enjoy this type of comedy and why do we live in an age where people are so offended by jokes or comments?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

Ricky Gervais is one of my favourite comedians

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Ricky Gervais is one of my favourite comedians

stop will ye I can't stand him and that Keith Lemon, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Karl Spain as he claims to be a comedian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Love Frankie Boyle, Kevin bridges too. I wouldn't find any joke offensive. I think it's a person's choice to be offended by it or how they interpret it but then again everyone has a different sense of humour. So they might find the vast majority of Frankie Boyles jokes tasteless etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,395 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Friend of mine has old Mike Reid, “Jethro” and chubby brown videos and we watched some of them over Christmas. Hilarious for the most part although some of it is in bad taste.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Frankie Boyle.

Hilarious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

If you go to a stand-up show and come out offended, you're probably a d1ckhead. No subject should be off limits. Whether it is funny or not is a different matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The darker the joke, the funnier it is

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

I love black humour, Big Mommas House is one of my favourite movies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

decky1 wrote: »
    been watching old clips of Bernard Manning it's great to see a time when we could enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh without the worry of offending anyone like it is now

Bernard Manning's son Bernard Righton was a stand up comedian as well but had a very different act to his father:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Jim Jefferies funniest man alive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Comiedians I like-Kevin Bridges is funny, Daniel Sloss too, ditto Daniel Tosh, Richard Pryor, early Chris Rock, Eddie Murphy, George Carlin I appreciate, but more as a funny philosopher than a comedian. Adam Hill isn't controversial, but he does love to do the odd 'ooooh, shouldn't have said that' joke-did a bit on gay priests that's brilliant. Frankie Boyle used to be funny, he's lapsed, sadly. Ditto Jimmy Carr. Too often you see comics, especially the British and Irish ones, who you can see are desperately trying to get a TV show.
    Instead of being funny,it's like 'I can do this, then get a tv show'...and that shows lack of passion.

Pryor never lost that spark for being funny, even after the suspected suicide attempt. Sarah Silverman has lapsed as well, went full sjw-when she used to tow the distaste line. Is Stewart Lee controversial? He seems like one of the few comics out there who has a passion for it. His career is dead now, but Louis CK was also good.
    Chris Morris and Brass Eye is legendary-another guy who goes for the jugular. He gets the targets to laugh at themselves too. Bill Maher and Paul Mooney are also great. And I do like some of early David Cross-but again, he's kinda lost it, sadly. Went for the money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I miss Spike...
    I bloody love Spike in all his incarnations. True comic genius.

Always had a soft spot for Eddie Murphy too.

Oddly enough, or not, they were my dad's two fave comics and he was born in 1918*, so you'd think he'd be likely more trad in his comedy tastes. He loved the Pythons, bit considered them Goons lite. One of the first videotapes I saw as a kid was when my Da™ brought home a video tape player on loan from a mate of his and Eddie Murphy's Raw VHS.

*he married late in life. A theme in my family's blokes. I'm not that old. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

If you like your comedy offensive check out one anthony (antwan) cumia.

very funny, very offensive. very good impressions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Jerry Sadowitz- jokes on pardophilia often.

Steve Hughes- controversial as he tells the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Sidebaro

I think everything can be funny but be smart/sound about it. If you want to tell ignorant jokes with your friends then go right ahead but if you're a comedian, you have to realise that somebody in the audience could be upset by that same joke. I'm not talking about the usual dumb **** that people get offended by, I mean actual offensive stuff.

Oh and to add to the list of controversial comedians, Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr and Reginald D Hunter. All very good and their material is smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Sidebaro wrote: »
    I think everything can be funny but be smart/sound about it. If you want to tell ignorant jokes with your friends then go right ahead but if you're a comedian, you have to realise that somebody in the audience could be upset by that same joke. I'm not talking about the usual dumb **** that people get offended by, I mean actual offensive stuff.

Oh and to add to the list of controversial comedians, Doug Stanhope, Bill Burr and Reginald D Hunter. All very good and their material is smart.

Who decides where the line is between "usual dumb sh*t" and "actually offensive"?

elvis83 wrote:
    Who decides where the line is between "usual dumb sh*t" and "actually offensive"?

Jesus. Treat others as you would like to be treated and all that. Add in a bit of empathy and common sense too.

It's hard to broadly talk about it without specific examples though I suppose. Frankie Boyles joking about Madeline McCann is ignorant as **** for instance and unnecessary. Most of his other stuff is fine though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Jesus. Treat others as you would like to be treated and all that. Add in a bit of empathy and common sense too.

It's hard to broadly talk about it without specific examples though I suppose. Frankie Boyles joking about Madeline McCann is ignorant as **** for instance and unnecessary. Most of his other stuff is fine though.

Yeah I wasn't having a go, just genuinely wondering. The line that you've drawn is one that arguably most people would agree with. A joke made at the expense of other people's suffering is too far.

But someone else might draw that line much further back and make that the distinction between what's acceptable and not. One man's poison and all that.

elvis83 wrote:
    But someone else might draw that line much further back and make that the distinction between what's acceptable and not. One man's poison and all that.

That's true. It's a hard one to universally agree on. I think you just have to look after your own stuff and try not to break your own rules. If you do that then you can stand up for yourself if somebody does call you out on it and you might end up disagreeing but at least your integrity is intact. I don't like to personally call somebody out if it's something they can't change about themselves. That gives me enough swinging room to be funny while still being sound. I don't tend to focus on particular individuals that much anyway though but that's just a personal preference. If somebody else wants to, then that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

elvis83 wrote: »

Question wasn't offensive: question was controversial.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

It's a funny kind of cnut that can't be funny without being a cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They built a brand new stand at Maine Road the only problem is that it's facing the fcuking pitch

Rip Bernard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't like comedians that pick on actual people. You can come out with all the racist jokes you like and I won't give a shit but when Frankie Boyle did that joke about Jordans son raping her it really turned me off him. Especially as there wasn't much of a joke to it and he just came across as a prick. Then the hypocrite has the nerve to whine about Jeremy Clarkson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

For some reason offense has become the most taboo of human emotions and we're all pretending that we never get offended.

Take the SNL Irish sketch recently. That thread is full of people who "weren't offended by it but.....". Actually you were offended, and that's fine. Stop pretending you had an issue with it because it wasn't funny or it was inaccurate.

There's plenty of things I find offensive. And me being offended or saying I'm offended does not mean I think there should be a law stopping people from being offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 urban sprawl

Jerry Sadowitz
    Sadowitz is a legend. I used to have an old cassette recording of his Total Abuse Show (the one from over 30 years ago in which he called Jimmy Saville a paedophile). It was brilliant stuff. I have never seen him live but have heard that his close up magic is as good as you'll see anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

decky1 wrote: »
    been watching old clips of Bernard Manning it's great to see a time when we could enjoy ourselves and have a good laugh without the worry of offending anyone like it is now , I also love Frankie Boyle, chubby brown etc, .does anyone else enjoy this type of comedy and why do we live in an age where people are so offended by jokes or comments?:)
    TBH, if you have Frankie Boyle and Chubby Brown in the same category in your head, you’re missing the point of Frankie Boyle....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Here's the hypocrite in all his glory talking about how Jeremy Clarkson should be sacked. Conveniently he talks about his political jokes rather than the one about Jordans son raping her. What was the 'context' of that joke I wonder.

Advertisement