Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Leaf

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Model 3 is not a hatch for a start so I wouldn't buy one. Why would you buy a Hyundai Kona 64 when you can buy a Model 3 for the same money?

It's a same thing than any cars. You can buy a C Class Merc and Ford Focus for the same money and both will sell. One will be fully kitted and other one will be the base model with windy windows.

Edit: Liamog beat me by 1 minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Nissan have also axed the bottom spec XE model in the UK and Ireland, likely due to low demand. Tesla saw the same trend with its 60kWh Model S, which was quickly dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If you are buying a 3/5 series do you test drive a Pulsar?

I very much considered buying a 5 series rather than a Leaf 40 last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Not new....the 5 series will cost you a few more quid.....

I reckon the 2019 60 Kwh Leaf will be delivered in 2020 , perhaps a few delivered to dealers late 2019 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Why would it be? The 2019 60kWh Leaf will have the same performance and better range than the base model 3, higher seating position, a hatchback, and likely better build quality too.

It won't have the same performance

Even a base model 3 will leave the Leaf for dust

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

I am going the other way !
    I have a 2013 5 series and am considering buying a new 40kw Leaf.

I might wait for a 64kw, but I would need to be guarenteed it would be delivered in very early 2019.

Leaf 60 will 11-22 Kw AC charger, it's been shown to charge at 102 Kw and it will have 215 HP, this is a game changer and I guarantee, if the price is right they will sell very many of these cars and will have no problem meeting demand like Hyundai ( my opinion ) .

Nissan made a very good business decision to sell their battery business to LG Chem, Nissan should concentrate on building cars, drive trains etc and buy the batteries from the experts. I'm expecting this sale gave Nissan an advantage over Hyundai and maybe other manufacturers who might struggle to meet demand.

So the charging of 102 Kw has a clear advantage over the Kona and also the AC charging if 22 Kw would be a major advantage especially to people here in Ireland , Nissan and Renault failed in their Promise to the ESB to offer faster charging AC cars which is why the ESB installed so many 22 Kw AC points so hopefully the ESB will not give up on AC because while Unkle for instance completely dismisses the value of AC I on the other hand know all to well the value of AC not having DC point on my door step like him. DC charger in use , I can still get 22 Kwh in 2 hrs on 3 phase AC point.

I got to tell you that in order for me to give up the joy of driving the i3 the Leaf 60 ( sounds) very, very tempting. The Model 3 will no doubt offer more driver enjoyment, being RWD will give it a good advantage for grip, I hope Nissan offer a RWD option because the current Leaf is a joke not helped by the tyres and 215 HP will make it worse again.

The Leaf will also be larger than the Kona.

The Model 3 will end up costing a lot more than the Leaf or Kona after some options are applied but I would take more power than gadgets.

The i3 is a very fun car to drive and I would be looking for the same or more level of fun , more power etc. What the i3 and Leaf 60 will handle like is anyone's guess.

I doubt the Model 3 will be available in 2020 anyway and my lease is up in November 2020 so it will be interesting to see what's available.

i3 will be gone or close to being cancelled
    i3 becomes ix1 with 350 hp and possibly more but probably 50+k basic. Possibly 2020-2021.
    Kona, maybe
    Leaf 60 Maybe
    Model 3 , Unlikely.
    I could perhaps go for another i3 but get the S version.

I would like not to need the Rex but this depends on the network , for now, for me Rex is absolutely essential, the last 5 times I went to fast charge the chargers were busy and there is only the first Ionity chargers likely to come online by the end of this year.

If the ESB roll out new 45 Kw chargers I'll freak out , this will prove they're taking the p1ss !

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

FriendsEV wrote: »
    It won't have the same performance

Even a base model 3 will leave the Leaf for dust

It won't really for the average driver, the 60kWh Leaf 0-100kph will be 6.5 seconds, base Model 3 0-97kph is at 5.6 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

it's been shown to charge at 102 Kw

Has it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭highdef

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Has it?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

highdef wrote: »
    Yes.

Link?

And by link I mean confirmation from Nissan that the car shown charging at 102kw was the new 60kwh Leaf?

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It will never charge in Ireland at more than 45kW unless someone is willing to install new generation CHAdeMO chargers (a system that is already obsolete). Who would be interested in doing that? I doubt Nissan (or the dealers) will.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    am considering buying a new 40kw Leaf.
    I might wait for a 64kw, but I would need to be guarenteed it would be delivered in very early 2019.

That is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Why would it be? The 2019 60kWh Leaf will have the same performance and better range than the base model 3, higher seating position, a hatchback, and likely better build quality too.

This... the Model 3 is not a luxury car, and really the only distinction will be RWD. it will be substantially more expensive - particularly by the time you add all of the features which are standard on the leaf, and a Kona, Leaf64KWh and possibly other options will be as good or a better buy if available in Europe by mid 2020

On the other hand, an EQC, e-Tron or iPace will be massively superior to the tesla in every way at the top end and Tesla's brief existence as a luxury brand will evaporate in the presence of actual luxury high-quality cars.

I expect major manufacturers to have exactly the same issues Tesla did with ramping up massive production of cheap cars - but equally I expect that they (like Jaguar) will be able to dominate Tesla at the high end where there are no volume issues and their ability to build high quality cars will be a differentiator.

I wonder how many etrons hae been ordered in Norway? - how Many iPaces? - compared to current order books for Tesla - anyone have these figures?

I know that across Europe IPace has already outsold Model X this year

• Registered Users Posts: 9,533 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Not new....the 5 series will cost you a few more quid.....
    Yeah, a good few more! Was looking at a 2015 5er.
    RobAMerc wrote: »
    I am going the other way !
    I have a 2013 5 series and am considering buying a new 40kw Leaf.
    You're like me three years ago - I came from a 250bhp 3 litre petrol rear wheel drive Lexus to my Leaf 24. I don't feel short changed (although I do wish the Nissan sound system was even 50% as good!).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,766 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Yeah, a good few more! Was looking at a 2015 5er.

You're like me three years ago - I came from a 250bhp 3 litre petrol rear wheel drive Lexus to my Leaf 24.

And myself. Scrapped my 3l petrol RWD Jaguar for Ioniq

catharsis wrote: »

On the other hand, an EQC, e-Tron or iPace will be massively superior to the tesla in every way at the top end and Tesla's brief existence as a luxury brand will evaporate in the presence of actual luxury high-quality cars.

I expect major manufacturers to have exactly the same issues Tesla did with ramping up massive production of cheap cars - but equally I expect that they (like Jaguar) will be able to dominate Tesla at the high end where there are no volume issues and their ability to build high quality cars will be a differentiator.

I wonder how many etrons hae been ordered in Norway? - how Many iPaces? - compared to current order books for Tesla - anyone have these figures?

I know that across Europe IPace has already outsold Model X this year

You make some good points to be fair

As much as I like Tesla

The Model S and X is no where near the quality of a high end Mercedes, Jaguar etc

I think Elon knows this and the model 3 will be the bréad and butter for the foreseeable

Tesla won't be able to complete with luxury brands

Once battery production from battery giants is up and running, Tesla will be screwed

Thats the only ace they have

They have already been surpassed with regard autopilot tech

They have already been surpassed with regard autopilot tech

Have they ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Have they ?
    IN the head of a mass raving looney perhaps.

Have they ?

Waymo looks alot better

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    IN the head of a mass raving looney perhaps.

No need for that

Waymo looks alot better

How many kWh do Waymo have in their cars?

samih wrote: »

Partnerships will be setup

• Registered Users Posts: 21,361 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No need for that
    Wasnt saying about you in general... just in fairness anyone looking at this objectively can see that no company is ahead of Tesla when it comes to autopilot.

Cases can be suggested for waymo, but how many cars have they made/sold?

Partnerships will be setup

It's a different kettle of fish having an actual real product in the hands of the customers for years and "will be setup".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

samih wrote: »

92kWh.... Waymo has signed options on 20,000 Jaguar I-Pace.
    Not that JLR can make 20,000 anytime soon.

Thats good news for both parties.

Advertisement