Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2019 Leaf

• 21-03-2018 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭

Thought I may as well start this thread, seeing as Nissan appear to have played silly buggers with the 2018 version.

Obviously nothing is "official" yet, but there seems to be a bit of info out there that the 2019 Leaf will be a serious bit of kit.

2019-nissan-leaf-specs.png

Couple of threads about the same thing.

This one.

And this one.

There might be more, but I haven't stumbled across it yet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

So it will get the same 64kWh battery pack from LG Chem as the 2018 Hyundai Kona EV?

Presumably with active cooling this time? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Looks that way.

Wonder who has a bigger order put in?!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hopefully they include active cooling.
    I think they will end up not selling many of the 2018 leaf in the end.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Hopefully they include active cooling.
    I think they will end up not selling many of the 2018 leaf in the end.

Hopefully it'll lead to big discounts of the 2018 Leaf!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Soarer wrote: »
    Hopefully it'll lead to big discounts of the 2018 Leaf!

For 20k new they wouldn't be a bad buy

19 Leaf is just about the perfect car

200bhp/400km range is something I didn't expect for a long time

Would be great fun to drive

I would buy one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Any chance they ditch Chademo for CCS? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

JackieChan wrote: »

They should but can't see it happening.....

Really the EU should make them....

JackieChan wrote: »
    I would rate that as highly unlikely, considering they are not part of the CCS working group (even Tesla are), and they spent money installing chademo FCP

What happens when the 2019 model is about to be released? will Nissan start selling off the 2018 model at cheap prices like they done with Leaf 1.5 and Leaf 1 before that?

Nissan will have to adopt CCS as there are unlikely to be many 100 + Kw chargers installed in Europe. The Ionity chargers will be CCS only.

Thermal management will be dictated by LG Chem.

• Advertisement

Nissan will have to adopt CCS as there are unlikely to be many 100 + Kw chargers installed in Europe. The Ionity chargers will be CCS only.

Thermal management will be dictated by LG Chem.
    There are already 100kW chademo chargers in Norway. The Kia Soul can charge at 100kW already.

Chademo is the standard in Asia and widespread in NA, it's not going to "go away" just because some bureaucrats in the EU want it to.

Nissan will not adapt CCS

There are already 100kW chademo chargers in Norway. The Kia Soul can charge at 100kW already.

Chademo is the standard in Asia and widespread in NA, it's not going to "go away" just because some bureaucrats in the EU want it to.

Nissan will not adapt CCS

They should be made to......or everyone else move to chademo

If they want to sell cars in Europe then all manufacturers should be made to pick one type of charger connections and as consumers, we should demand it.

If it is CCS or Chademo I don't care.

What is the point in having loads of chargers but some of them you can't use??????

Shefwedfan wrote: »

If they want to sell cars in Europe then all manufacturers should be made to pick one type of charger connections and as consumers, we should demand it.

What is the point in having loads of chargers but some of them you can't use??????
    Like diesel or LPG if you drive a petrol car?

Like diesel or LPG if you drive a petrol car?

I don't understand your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They should just enforce that every charge point is dual head and then let the market decide which standard prevails.

If you get 50kW from Chademo and 150kW from CCS the market will decide the future pretty quick.

Mandating one over the other is an issue as there are licensing issues at present with both sides screwing each other for licensing fees. So, let them both exist and the market will decide which one is better.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Same for mobile phones. They tried to enforce this years ago and we still have a mix of USB, micro usb, mini usb and lightening and then all the associated adaptors to make each one work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

KCross wrote: »
    Mandating one over the other is an issue as there are licensing issues at present with both sides screwing each other for licensing fees.

What licensing fees are there for CCS? It's all based on IEC standards, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What licensing fees are there for CCS? It's all based on IEC standards, isn't it?

I stand to be corrected on CCS.... Chademo charge for the use of the connector... I assumed CCS would not offer theirs for free?

I don't understand your point?
    What's the point of having multiple refuelling pumps you can't use?
    Really?

Are you serious?

kceire wrote: »
    Same for mobile phones. They tried to enforce this years ago and we still have a mix of USB, micro usb, mini usb and lightening and then all the associated adaptors to make each one work.
    That's the problem
    You can buy a "Phone charger" plug which will have USB at the top, then you connect the propriertary cable.
    CCS prohibits the use of an adapter

My kingdom for the man who designs a 150kW CCS to Chademo adapter

• Advertisement

Thought I'd resurrect this thread for the following link that seems to have been overlooked.

Nissan Leaf prototype with new 60 kWh battery pack leaked fast-charging at 102 kW

Should make things a bit more interesting, as long as the price is right.

But if Hyundai and Kia are coming out with compact SUVs for less than €40k, surely Nissan will have to do better?

Thought I'd resurrect this thread for the following link that seems to have been overlooked.

Nissan Leaf prototype with new 60 kWh battery pack leaked fast-charging at 102 kW

Should make things a bit more interesting, as long as the price is right.

But if Hyundai and Kia are coming out with compact SUVs for less than €40k, surely Nissan will have to do better?

When will it arrive into a dealer to purchase is more important question. It looks to have gone the way of the 2018 Ioniq which was promised.......

I don't expect to see in any great numbers till 2020 2H/2021 at this rate

The current Leaf is selling great so why pull it from market at it's peak

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

When will it arrive into a dealer to purchase is more important question. It looks to have gone the way of the 2018 Ioniq which was promised.......

Possible problem for Nissan is that they may then be competing against the Tesla Model 3.

I don't think they'll pull the L40. There'll be 2 cars for 2 markets.

I don't think they'll pull the L40. There'll be 2 cars for 2 markets.
    They will probably offer the 40 and have the 60 as the premium/upgrade model. Like the 24 and 30.

Possible problem for Nissan is that they may then be competing against the Tesla Model 3.
    +1
    This is why they need to get the 60 out before 2020-21 as the model 3 will be here at that stage. The L40 won't be competing with it, but, depending on the price point of the L60, it might

If you are buying a 3/5 series do you test drive a Pulsar?

Apart from both been electric I don't see how a Leaf would compete with a Tesla 3?

You would hope the Nissan Leaf is a lot cheaper than a Tesla....

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Apart from both been electric I don't see how a Leaf would compete with a Tesla 3?

You would hope the Nissan Leaf is a lot cheaper than a Tesla....

Why would it be? The 2019 60kWh Leaf will have the same performance and better range than the base model 3, higher seating position, a hatchback, and likely better build quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Tesla are trying to bring the cost of cars down by being efficient in manufacturing. Nissan however have been volume manufacturing cars for ages but it will anybody's guess if Tesla can bring the price down to compete in volume market.

There is nothing inherently expensive on Model 3. Suspension is slightly more complex but Ford etc. have been able to offer multillink suspension on Focus since '98. Model 3 has been desingned from ground up to be cost effective to make. For example the charger and many other EV components have been integrated with the battery pack.

Tesla charges much more for extras at the moment which is their way of raising the average sale price to way above LEAF but the basic car is really good value at only 5k over the price of basic LEAF. Just that you can't purchase one until who knows when. I wouldn't be surprised if fully kitted L60 and Model 3 had exactly the same price.

samih wrote: »
    Tesla are trying to bring the cost of cars down by being efficient in manufacturing. Nissan however have been volume manufacturing cars for ages but it will anybody's guess if Tesla can bring the price down to compete in volume market.

There is nothing inherently expensive on Model 3. Suspension is slightly more complex but Ford etc. have been able to offer multillink suspension on Focus since '98. Model 3 has been desingned from ground up to be cost effective to make. For example the charger and many other EV components have been integrated with the battery pack.

Tesla charges much more for extras at the moment which is their way of raising the average sale price to way above LEAF but the basic car is really good value at only 5k over the price of basic LEAF. Just that you can't purchase one until who knows when. I wouldn't be surprised if fully kitted L60 and Model 3 had exactly the same price.

If that is true then Nissan Leaf will be end of life very very quickly.....

Why would anyone(under 60) purchase a Leaf when a Model 3 is the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

A basic Model 3 is $5,000 over the full spec Leaf40.
    Based on battery price projections, the 60kWh of battery in 2019 should only add around $1,300 to the base price compared to the 2018 40kWh.

When the Leaf60 comes out I'd expect it to replace the Leaf40 with a minimum increase in price.

Plus the Leaf can fit a dog in the boot without it being animal cruelty :D

Advertisement