Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man convicted of hate crime because his dog did a Nazi salute?

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Jonathan Pie on point as usual:

• Site Banned Posts: 406 ✭✭Pepefrogok

Imagine being that man's family, died in prison in 2016 and the authorities won't tell them why??? It's madness, you can be sure there would be protests by the guardian types if he was a minority, this would just not be allowed to happen! Disgusting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Billy86 wrote: »
    girl-with-quivering-bottom-lip_11.gif

Graham Linehan is so mean, boo hoo.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    Such a big meanie bully, waaaaahhhh.

MW-ES659_baby_c_20160728081242_ZH.jpg

I'm not mad about Linehan beyond his writing, but it's hilarious how people lose their sh*t every time he opens his mouth or Tweets.

AVD5g.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Dread Pirate Roberts

Jonathan Pie on point as usual:

End . Of. Thread
    Pie sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

He did nazi that coming.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

cruais wrote: »
    He did nazi that coming.

AND HONESTLY, neither did I

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

cruais wrote: »
    He did nazi that coming.

racist! you're going to prison now for hate speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

racist! you're going to prison now for hate speech!

I prefer the term "stupid predictive spelling"

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

Online parody- this video was only posted this week.

https://twitter.com/DanielBostock4/status/975786642979028992

No doubt some will the lyric arrangements funny,, while some may take offence- on the grounds that some may take offence Q/  hands up who honestly thinks that people who post online parody that some may take offence to should be  prosecuted by law ?

I live in a country where stuff said online is punished. People going to jail for blogs etc. and commenting on national news is technically illegal apparently. I basically don't post anything with my face attached.

A couple of months ago, the most famous expat in the country (Education YouTuber) offended the populace by making what was very clearly a joke about a national hero. He got a huge fine and his business has been shut down. Just like this guy, people selectively chose to treat it as a non-joke if they didn't like him.

Around the same time, another guy mocked the country going crazy over a soccer tournament, because he doesn't like soccer. He got deported. He wrote around six lines on Facebook wondering why the country suddenly loved its own team.

If you are in this thread and you are in support of this man being dealt with legally, you're driving our societies towards what I described above. Those guys "offended" people and had their lives turned upside down. The bloggers etc. are in far worse circumstances since they offended the people in power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

I live in a country where stuff said online is punished. People going to jail for blogs etc. and commenting on national news is technically illegal apparently. I basically don't post anything with my face attached.

A couple of months ago, the most famous expat in the country (Education YouTuber) offended the populace by making what was very clearly a joke about a national hero. He got a huge fine and his business has been shut down. Just like this guy, people selectively chose to treat it as a non-joke if they didn't like him.

Around the same time, another guy mocked the country going crazy over a soccer tournament, because he doesn't like soccer. He got deported. He wrote around six lines on Facebook wondering why the country suddenly loved its own team.

If you are in this thread and you are in support of this man being dealt with legally, you're driving our societies towards what I described above. Those guys "offended" people and had their lives turned upside down. The bloggers etc. are in far worse circumstances since they offended the people in power.
    Good point: this law is not intended to be implemented on all people equally. It is merely intended to be used as a tool that can be pulled out to crush those that those in power find inconvenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am glad to find such strong commitment to free speech in Ireland. Don't let that go. My fellow citizens seem pretty ambiguous about their poorly defined (in legal terms) freedoms, already we have a legal culture that stresses the limitations on freedom of speech and the rather dangerous notion that our rights stem from our government's definitions rather than occurring inherently.

I don't think Canada has become quite the cesspool of political correctness that some European countries have become, but it's trying to catch up and may do so within a few years.

As soon as any government decides that it's necessary to monitor and regulate speech, then its own ideology becomes the standard by which all speech is judged. Therefore it's better to have one of two things, either a government with no ideology beyond providing corruption-free public service, or a government with an ideology but no legal basis for regulating that ideology (in other words, they rent the space and know that it can be turned over to a different set of views in the future at the discretion of a freely voting electorate).

Now as to a guy teaching his dog a Nazi salute, that is more bizarre than hateful, and sounds like the very lamest of early Monty Python sketches. I wonder if the same government would prosecute if the dog was able to hum the Internationale?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am glad to find such strong commitment to free speech in Ireland. Don't let that go. My fellow citizens seem pretty ambiguous about their poorly defined (in legal terms) freedoms, already we have a legal culture that stresses the limitations on freedom of speech and the rather dangerous notion that our rights stem from our government's definitions rather than occurring inherently.

I don't think Canada has become quite the cesspool of political correctness that some European countries have become, but it's trying to catch up and may do so within a few years.

As soon as any government decides that it's necessary to monitor and regulate speech, then its own ideology becomes the standard by which all speech is judged. Therefore it's better to have one of two things, either a government with no ideology beyond providing corruption-free public service, or a government with an ideology but no legal basis for regulating that ideology (in other words, they rent the space and know that it can be turned over to a different set of views in the future at the discretion of a freely voting electorate).

Now as to a guy teaching his dog a Nazi salute, that is more bizarre than hateful, and sounds like the very lamest of early Monty Python sketches. I wonder if the same government would prosecute if the dog was able to hum the Internationale?

I find a great differeence when I am chatting to family in BC. Sometimes ,"YOU CANNOT SAY THAT!'

Title of thread is inaccurate anyway. It was not because the dog did the salute, as he had no idea what he was doing. but because HE taught the dog to do that. Don t blame the poor dog :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

As soon as any government decides that it's necessary to monitor and regulate speech, then its own ideology becomes the standard by which all speech is judged.

The above sentence sums the whole thing up. Those who feel this is a good idea, only do so because they currently agree with the political leanings of those who prosecuted this guy. Next week, next year, or when they grow up, they or the government of the day may have a very different view. Too late to realise the monster you've helped create then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

May I ask which country?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Who are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Sargon’s excellent take on the case. Worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭conorhal

Bearing also put up a video including clips from several interviews he's done with Dankula over the the past year about the case, so folks might as well hear about the case and verdict from the man himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Maxpfizer

Video from the guy himself:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Brutal verdict but unsurprising over here. The police are mad for hate crimes. Sure look at what was promulgated to police at assistant commissioner level on what constitutes a hate crime - its the broadest and vaguest description of what could be considered a crime.

People need to realise what this all means if a far right or far left party ever get into power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

0,1020,299828,00.jpg

Adolf is outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Brutal verdict but unsurprising over here. The police are mad for hate crimes. Sure look at what was promulgated to police at assistant commissioner level on what constitutes a hate crime - its the broadest and vaguest description of what could be considered a crime.

People need to realise what this all means if a far right or far left party ever get into power.

Maybe people should stop supporting far right and far left parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

An update today, he has been fined £800. I don't like what the man did and I think he's a pr1ck and has a grossly distasteful sense of humour. But then so is Frankie Boyle and I don't think he should be hauled before the courts just for being an obnoxious tw@t. Oh hang on.... :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-43864133

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

shaunr68 wrote: »
    An update today, he has been fined £800. I don't like what the man did and I think he's a pr1ck and has a grossly distasteful sense of humour. But then so is Frankie Boyle and I don't think he should be hauled before the courts just for being an obnoxious tw@t. Oh hang on.... :D

he got off lightly given that the cutting edge is teenagers and rap lyrics :rolleyes:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,522 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

shaunr68 wrote: »

Fair play to him for appealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

https://twitter.com/MossadJack/status/988398772614062080

Drops a truth bomb and strolls off. Brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Drops a truth bomb and strolls off. Brilliant

- "You said gas the Jews 23 times".

- "You said the statement a couple two seconds ago. Why should I consider your context if you won't consider mine. You just broke the law when you said the phrase. Remember context matters, mate".

/mic drop

Advertisement