Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BuyGameCredit Shutdown Thread

Options
  • 03-03-2018 9:07pm

So https://www.buygamecredit.com/ is "temporarily" switched off it would seem. Anyone any more info on that? Seems strange for that happen so soon after they upped their fees. Were they pressured into it by e.g. Three I wonder? Hoping this "temporary" shutdown doesn't become permanent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

So https://www.buygamecredit.com/ is "temporarily" switched off it would seem. Anyone any more info on that? Seems strange for that happen so soon after they upped their fees. Were they pressured into it by e.g. Three I wonder? Hoping this "temporary" shutdown doesn't become permanent.

Maybe shut down due to the weather?

I've had to contact them a couple times and they are not the quickest to reply so I wouldn't be surprised if they run it with minimal staff.

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Maybe shut down due to the weather?

I've had to contact them a couple times and they are not the quickest to reply so I wouldn't be surprised if they run it with minimal staff.

Hopefully! But you'd think they would mention in the message on their page that it's due to the weather so as not to worry people. The way they've phrased to me implies they don't know if and when they'll be back. Hopefully you're right though! Have they ever been temporarily switched off before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

That sucks ass
    Any alternatives? I know you can spend credit on Google play but most apps suck and you can't use credit for Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Asus X540L wrote: »
    That sucks ass
    Any alternatives? I know you can spend credit on Google play but most apps suck and you can't use credit for Netflix

Nope as both buy game credit and hmv game credit are operated by the same company.

https://www.buygamecredit.com/ is back online but will be shut down permanently in a few days. If you have a lot of unspent phone credit I'd recommend using it ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I've a weird feeling that there's something fishy going on with the whole thing.
    I'd love to know more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I've a weird feeling that there's something fishy going on with the whole thing.
    I'd love to know more :)

You think something dodgy or a publicity stunt to get a lot of cash?

Hococop wrote: »

Probably going into administration, would explain the sudden 500% hike in transaction fees.

Btw transaction fees have been removed atm, but you need to buy their credit from your phone first in a multiple of €5. You can't currently buy xbox gift cards directly with your phone balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Max Mafioso

How the heck do you buy their credit?
    I have been looking around the site and cant see it :(

Any other site do it or just them?

• Advertisement

How the heck do you buy their credit?
    I have been looking around the site and cant see it :(

Click on what you want to buy and it will let you top up your account.

Didnt notice the topup button at the bottom, so I need to buy €5 each time then?

Didnt notice the topup button at the bottom, so I need to buy €5 each time then?

No, you can top up upto €30 in €5 increments in a single transaction.

So, dont know whats going on but it wont let me topup at all
    For any value I click on and go to topup, I get the attached part but when I click on Proceed it does nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Same here

Website has also switched to Latin in a lot of places :pac:

Shame to see it go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I don't really know, if I'm honest.
    I just think there's more to the story, and we'll never find out! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

So, dont know whats going on but it wont let me topup at all
    For any value I click on and go to topup, I get the attached part but when I click on Proceed it does nothing at all

Can't topup either. Shame as I used to use HMV Game Credit (which is still down), 3 took €50 last month as I forgot to topup for a few hours, so was hoping to spend the rest on credit.

mcgovern wrote: »
    HMV Game Credit (which is still down)

They are the same crowd

Did the same thing not happen before they relaunched as buygamecredit or am I imagining it?

"permanent shutdown" and then new site launched

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,171 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Balls, I was going to put all my phone credit towards an X this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Balls, I was going to put all my phone credit towards an X this year.

i'm saving for an elite controller with my phone credit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnf26

Its up now saying will shut down permanently within the next few days. Remaining wallet balances will then be refunded i wonder if we can buy till then..anyone tried today?dont wana chance it incase they scam us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

It says you can only buy with wallet purchases so you have to set up an account with your email and phone number. Do they just send the 16 digit code to your phone after?

I only used hmvgamecredit before and all i had to do was text 20EURO to 51000, and got the code immediately by text after.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Ah balls, I was going to top up my phone and I usually get a giftcard out of the extra. Well it was pretty handy while it lasted. :(

They changed the wording on the homepage in the last few hours from:
    Wallet Payment Only

BuyGameCredit will shut down permanently within the next few days. Remaining wallet balances will then be refunded.

to
    Wallet Payment Only

Permanently shut down in the next few days. Wallet balances will then be refunded.

Does that change of wording imply that it is now only wallet payments that are being removed rather than the whole site closing down?

This sucks monkey anus.

I'm going off three if another site doesn't prop up.

Anyone figure out how to pay for netflix with three credit?
    I'd imagine Three are behind this anyway tbh

This sucks monkey anus.

I'm going off three if another site doesn't prop up.

Anyone figure out how to pay for netflix with three credit?
    I'd imagine Three are behind this anyway tbh

Why would 3 care how the credit is spent?, sickened had 80 Euro and kept stalling for a while, should have done it a bit back

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭erkifino

Why would 3 care how the credit is spent?, sickened had 80 Euro and kept stalling for a while, should have done it a bit back

Tbh I've been wondering how telecoms have allowed payments with credit. If you buy 20€ credit and get free calls, texts and data then respend the €20 elsewhere the telecom gets no money at all.

As erkifino correctly said, it would make financial sense for them to care. Three brought in the ability to use the credit to buy non-Three services in order to attract new customers. With the increase in use of such a service, there was always going to come a time when the loss of money by allowing such services would outweigh the benefits of getting new customers.

Not saying this is the case here of course. However, implying that Three doesn't care about the increasing popularity of a service such as this is just not true.

erkifino wrote: »
    If you buy 20€ credit and get free calls, texts and data then respend the €20 elsewhere the telecom gets no money at all.

It was great while it lasted though!

• Advertisement

It was great while it lasted though!

Yep. Definitely going to be missed, got a lot of games out of it between using my own and the OH's credit.

Advertisement