Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC FIGHT NIGHT WERDUM VS VOLKOV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Verdum looking super relaxed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Did he get caught during that flurry or was he rope a doping?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Did he get caught during that flurry or was he rope a doping?

Hard to tell looked like he got rocked but then again might have been happy to just let him throw a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I can see Werdum winning the UD but he does look a bit old in there, a bit sluggish or something. It would be nice if his BJJ allowed him to mitigate that age a bit longer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Jaysus imagine these two by round five

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

volkov still in this, might need a finish tho
    if he goes after werdum he might eventually get it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Is it a rule that you have to allow a downed opponent to get up? Ref keeps holding volkov away while werdum gets up? Never seen that before.

What a fight though.

Not sure I'm bothered with another 10 mins of this. Both of them absolutely knackered.

Boom wow!

Is it a rule that you have to allow a downed opponent to get up? Ref keeps holding volkov away while werdum gets up? Never seen that before.

What a fight though.

Yeah happens all the time. You often see it with match ups like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Werdum looked awful from minute 1. Surprised by that :/

Not sure I'm bothered with another 10 mins of this. Both of them absolutely knackered.

Didn't see that coming...

Time for Werdum to give it up. Was knocked cold pretty badly there. Volkov won't trouble anyone at the top of the division.

jimmii wrote: »
    Yeah happens all the time. You often see it with match ups like this.

So you can't hit your opponent with an uppercut as hes getting up but you can pummel his face while he's lying flat on his back. Strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

Fair play to Volkov. It can be frustrating to see Werdum play the falling down and enter my guard game in fights like this.

Werdum v Francis is a good shout now.

So you can't hit your opponent with an uppercut as hes getting up but you can pummel his face while he's lying flat on his back. Strange.

It's only when you signal you want them to go back to standing if it becomes a scramble naturally you can strike in the transition.

John_D80 wrote: »
    I would not be 100% surprised at an upset in the main event to be honest. Volkov has shown himself to be awkward for grapplers in the past.

Boom!!

What a fight though.

It's not that he's holding volkov away, it's that Volkov was exercising his right to have Werdum stand up. In doing so, he then can't jump on him as he's standing up.

jimmii wrote: »
    It's only when you signal you want them to go back to standing if it becomes a scramble naturally you can strike in the transition.

Thanks for that info.

Thanks for that info.

It's just to stop a fighter signalling their opponent to get up and then they attack them as they are getting up if that was allowed the opponent would just stay on the ground and we'd never get anywhere! Allowing the fighter to stand just means the fight can get going again.

Not when you request that he stands up, no. If he's trying to scramble to how feet you can strike as normal.

• Advertisement

Ah, getting to bed before midnight after watching an entire UFC event!! A rare pleasure indeed!

Great fights tonight it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Werdum got sparked, delighted. He's the easiest person to hate.

Fromvert wrote: »
    Werdum got sparked, delighted. He's the easiest person to hate.

I find Werdum very likable :D Especially after he smacked Covington with that Boomerang

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Just watched this back. Good night of fights.

That big russian guy fighting Craig looked very good, you'd have to assume he didn't hear the clappers for ten seconds, otherwise what was he doing tapping? If I knew there was seconds left in a round you'd have to wake me up before I'd tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Really enjoyed this event. Really great night of fights despite the negative talk beforehand online. 8 of eleven fights were finishes. The manuwa fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Both men will have CTE by the time they are 50. Manuwa has a rock solid chin. Atmosphere was electric.

I had bought the cheap tickets. 40 pound seats in Upper tier. There was a handful of scattered empty seats in the bottom tier. When the main card started we snuck down to the bottom tier, five rows from the front. Pics of my original location and my location for the main card. Really much better view up close. I would have bought better seats but couldn't get them in the sale unfortunately. Special thanks to the people who didn't turn up whose seats we sat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Really enjoyed this event. Really great night of fights despite the negative talk beforehand online. 8 of eleven fights were finishes. The manuwa fight was one of the best I've seen in a long time. Both men will have CTE by the time they are 50. Manuwa has a rock solid chin. Atmosphere was electric.

I had bought the cheap tickets. 40 pound seats in Upper tier. There was a handful of scattered empty seats in the bottom tier. When the main card started we snuck down to the bottom tier, five rows from the front. Pics of my original location and my location for the main card. Really much better view up close. I would have bought better seats but couldn't get them in the sale unfortunately. Special thanks to the people who didn't turn up whose seats we sat in.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Visconti

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Went over to this too. It was the type of card that wasn't going to jump out to the general public but the matchmaking for it was pretty good with lots of well matched fighters and the potential for some good scraps which turned out to be the case.

I'll have to watch them back, but at the time I felt Stevie Ray and Terrion Ware were extremely unlucky not to get the decision wins? I know Duquesnoy's was a unanimous so I could well be miles off there.

Brendan, great pictures. :)

I gave Duquesnoy the first two rounds pretty clearly. Takedown at the end of the second skewed the optics of it a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,170 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

jodaw wrote: »
    Holohan - lost his qualification fight on Ultimate Fighter (so could not get to ultimate fighter and should never got to UFC)
    Daly - lost on ultimate fighter
    Pendred - had great heart but never skill for decent level in UFC

Fact is they all got to UFC because of interest in McGregor/Ireland and a huge expansion of the UFC roster.

Out of interest does anyone have a win loss record for SBG in UFC without Mcgregor? It must be shocking.
    Pretty bad analysis there. Not sure is misleading or just ignorance.

Paddy tried out for 135. He isn't a 135er. He asked for a shot at 125 and got it for Dublin. He won, and got more fights on the back of that.

Ais Daly had been around WMMA a long time and got to TUF on her own merits. That was a championship season of TUF. She went out in the quarters so was rightfully in the Top 10 of the division post TUF.

Pendred is a odd case. On one hand, he didn't appear up to scratch. But objectively, he got to the semi-finals on TUF, losing a SD to the eventual winner. Post TUF he went 4-0 in the UFC. Not realy convincing that he only got there due Conor.

You also ignored Gunni entirely. Unquestionably the best SBG fighter outside of Conor.

Advertisement