Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Scotland

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Should have been a penalty to Italy there in the maul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I know it's the last game and they still be beaten but why don't italy try to play like this more
    Level of opposition in other games doesnt let them?
    kilns wrote: »
    As great a player as he was Parisse is becoming a liability for Italy
    No he isnt. Isnt as important in that he isnt being used for everything like he was a few years ago but isnt a liability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Looks like "60 minute Italy" are still around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

That Scottish maul must have stopped five different times and not once did the ref ask them to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Italy beginning to tired badly now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Praisse fell right into the Scottish trap there. Very silly play.

I know it's the last game and they still be beaten but why don't italy try to play like this more
    No he isnt. Isnt as important in that he isnt being used for everything like he was a few years ago but isnt a liability
    He tries to do things on his own which he was able to a few years ago, he has been central to major Italian mistakes

He tries to do things on his own which he was able to a few years ago, he has been central to major Italian mistakes

corny wrote: »
    That Scottish maul must have stopped five different times and not once did the ref ask them to use it.
    Huge amount of Scotish palyers joined the maul ahead of the ball carrier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Kick the fluckig points!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Come on Canna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Why do italy seem to suffer so badly compared to the other 6n teams in terms of fitness I mean all of there players play at a good level.not like say 10 years ago when very few playing pro rugby ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Gwan Tommy Allen!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Oh Allen is still on, and nails it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Again he didn't tell Scotland to use it in a stopped maul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Scottish maul looked stopped a few times there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭jodaw

Scotland being reffed to victory here

laugh wrote: »
    Again he didn't tell Scotland to use it in a stopped maul.
    Its laughable at this stage, 3 times it's came to a complete stop and not a word from the ref.

If Scotland win this it paints over a load of cracks.

Why do italy seem to suffer so badly compared to the other 6n teams in terms of fitness I mean all of there players play at a good level.not like say 10 years ago when very few playing pro rugby ?

Their top tier players are generally fine. It's when the likes of Allan, Ferrari, Sergio et al are missing and they need to call up fringe players, some of whom aren't exposed to as high a level of conditioning as the front line panel players where they begin to suffer. Ireland had the same issues in the late 90's.

Is it me or are the TV3 guys not live in the stadium?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

Unlucky Italy, when did Phil "The Power" Taylor, become the Italy manager?

Pathetic officiating.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Italy robbed by the bizarre refereeing of stopped mauls.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VeryOwl

Dreadful refereeing. Italy cheated out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

corny wrote: »

Yeah Italy can feel hard done by there. Happened a few times through the game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I was looking at the last few minutes of this match. It looked very close. Laidlaw just scored a penalty minutes before to win the match.

And now Italy have lost out. Hard luck Conor on your defeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Even 10 years ago they were all playing pro but it was in italian league for a lot of them. Maybe its conditioning. What they do with club sides??
    jodaw wrote: »
    Scotland being reffed to victory here
    They havent at all.
    Is it me or are the TV3 guys not live in the stadium?
    Theyre in Dublin. Havent been live at stadium for a few games.

This Scotland team are embarrassing away from home 95% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭Wexfordboy89

Their top tier players are generally fine. It's when the likes of Allan, Ferrari, Sergio et al are missing and they need to call up fringe players, some of whom aren't exposed to as high a level of conditioning as the front line panel players where they begin to suffer. Ireland had the same issues in the late 90's.

I see your point suppose pro game in Italy is really only around bout 10 years r so cant remember when they joined pro14.looking like they have a few good young players coming through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I see your point suppose pro game in Italy is really only around bout 10 years r so cant remember when they joined pro14.looking like they have a few good young players coming through

Benneton have really improved and have been competitive in the pro 14 this year. Steyn handling error at the end was embarrassing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The national management are doing a lot of work with the clubs and it is showing hugely. Both Italian teams have a lot more wins in the Pro14 than previously, I think there is potential for Italy - to be fair they have stayed in touch with many of the 6N teams instead of being blown away and being the whipping boys. Lot of people looking for them to be replaced with one of the other tier two European countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The national management are doing a lot of work with the clubs and it is showing hugely. Both Italian teams have a lot more wins in the Pro14 than previously, I think there is potential for Italy - to be fair they have stayed in touch with many of the 6N teams instead of being blown away and being the whipping boys. Lot of people looking for them to be replaced with one of the other tier two European countries.

i well remember when Italy joined the Five Nations to make it the 6N back in 2000. It was confidently being predicted that they would win a GS within 10 years. Here we are 18 years on and their last win was 3 years ago and last home win 5 years ago. With all the promise they may have shown in those years things have simply not progressed at the rate they should. Countless wooden spoons and a large number of whitewashes testify to their failure to make a major impact. While reasonably competitive at home their away form has been poor - they have yet to win in Wales/England/Ireland/France in the 6N.
    I find to hard to fathom how Conor O'Shea has kept his job considering their latest run of defeats. Surely any other coach would have been out the door. I know this is Italy we're talking about and Conor O'Shea is on a contract of gradual progress as it were but have they really made much progression under him? Their results would seem to tell a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

i well remember when Italy joined the Five Nations to make it the 6N back in 2000. It was confidently being predicted that they would win a GS within 10 years. Here we are 18 years on and their last win was 3 years ago and last home win 5 years ago. With all the promise they may have shown in those years things have simply not progressed at the rate they should. Countless wooden spoons and a large number of whitewashes testify to their failure to make a major impact. While reasonably competitive at home their away form has been poor - they have yet to win in Wales/England/Ireland/France in the 6N.
    I find to hard to fathom how Conor O'Shea has kept his job considering their latest run of defeats. Surely any other coach would have been out the door. I know this is Italy we're talking about and Conor O'Shea is on a contract of gradual progress as it were but have they really made much progression under him? Their results would seem to tell a different story.

No coach will turn them around in 2 years. They need to develop players and that will take 5-10 years to come thru to the national side. Sacking COS now will serve zero purpose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    No coach will turn them around in 2 years. They need to develop players and that will take 5-10 years to come thru to the national side. Sacking COS now will serve zero purpose
    And there have been improvements. They scored 12 tries this year which is the most they've ever scored, equal to way back in 2003 when it was a team with the likes of Dominguez, Castrogiovanni, the Bergamascos, Troncon, Lo Cicero etc. The difference now is that all of them play for Italian clubs and those clubs are showing big improvements this season. Their U20s came fourth for the first time ever and won two matches, again for the first time and came perilously close to beating us away. Those are the kinds of improvements you look for when there's a ground up effort to improve Italian rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I take the points re improvements at U20s but results of senior team (notwithstanding no. of tries scored) do not suggest progress. Also does Sergio Parisse not still play his club rugby in France?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,860 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I take the points re improvements at U20s but results of senior team (notwithstanding no. of tries scored) do not suggest progress. Also does Sergio Parisse not still play his club rugby in France?

Don't see what that has got to do with anything.

Conor was brought in to rebuild Italian rugby from the ground up, not the other way.

He has said countless times that his impact on Italian rugby won't be seen until he's gone from the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, he does. But he's very much in the minority now and drifting towards the exit door. Back in the mists of the early years of Italian rugby in the 6N, it was a team made up of Top 14 and Premiership players with some Treviso and Viadana players in there. And they were regularly raided by Top 14 clubs, so the home game just stagnated.

That's the big difference now. We're seeing improvement at the lower levels and that will take time to permeate to the top. If you get those bits right, you're actually building sustainable growth. But it takes time and patience. Italy have tried the other way for years and drafted in players from all over, but it was short term and unsustainable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The FIR need to sign Minozzi to a long-term deal asap. He will have suitors from all over Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Yeah, Minozzi, Polledri, and Negri are the future of Italian rugby. They're the exciting young players that supporters can get behind, it's incredibly important that the FIR hold onto them, and in Polledri's case, splash a bit of cash to bring them home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Tommy Allan has looked good too. Get Campagnaro and Sarto fit and there's the makings of a good backline. Need to find a front 5

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Allan was the most improved player in this year's tournament for me.

Advertisement