Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 (/pro) [WHYRED][China/Global] ***(Please read first post)***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Just got promoted to download the 9.5.19 update there.
    (Wlill hold off until I unlock the bootloader)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Needed a new phone in a hurry so instead of spending days researching myself I just went off the recommendations in this thread. Phone ordered from honorbuy at the weekend and arrived 10am tuesday. Very impressed with the phone, doubley so given the price. Cheers OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

double post

Love the phone, it arrived yesterday but I can confirm the shipped case isn't worth a damn, it definitely wouldn't absorb any sort of a fall, so be sure to order a more robust case

I'm holding onto the phone for dear life until my gkk case comes, hopefully it won't take a knock between now and then *prays to the phone gods*

thanks to all for the hints and tips on this thread, love you guys (love my phone even more, lol) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭corkie

biebiebie wrote: »
    Just got promoted to download the 9.5.19 update there.
    (Wlill hold off until I unlock the bootloader)

Even then I would avoid flashing newer roms, I think I already have warned enough about ARP!

You can get rom zips, without firmware off XDA that won't trigger it.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/index-redmi-note-5-pro-miui-roms-t3816343

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Dunne_bkill

Are these phones seriously fragile? A lot of talk about covers and the risk of damaging the screen in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Are these phones seriously fragile? A lot of talk about covers and the risk of damaging the screen in here.

The glass goes right to the edge of the phone and the screen is massive so a robust cover is a requirement imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I had a Redmi Note 4 that got banged and battered about the place and survived fine. The Note 5 might be as good but it's better to put a case on it as it can be tricky to get the screens repaired over here.

I think you'll find that for new phones people are paranoid they'll break their new toy ;-)
    So I think it's quite natural for such discussions for cases and screen protestors to run its usual course.
    I'll probably change over to one of my slimmer cases at some stage from my more rugged ones.
    And revert to the rugged ones for when I'm on the beer ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

kind of left of topic....but what is a good way to waterproof this phone ?....i walk a lot in rain during the year, and am distrustful of those elaborate ziplock bag / cases recommended on amazon...i used a ziplock bag on a rainy winter day with a phone once, completely sealed, but the phone was wet inside afterwards from condensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

dougm1970 wrote: »
    kind of left of topic....but what is a good way to waterproof this phone ?....i walk a lot in rain during the year, and am distrustful of those elaborate ziplock bag / cases recommended on amazon...i used a ziplock bag on a rainy winter day with a phone once, completely sealed, but the phone was wet inside afterwards from condensation.

Good question.

I don't think waterproofing is amongst the key features from xiaomi - someone on the Mi A1 thread fried their phone in very innocuous sounding circumstances..

I guess a decent case will help, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon :)

Edit:
    Quote: chrismon
    Mine got slight damp when I was out on my bike.
    Phones dead, sitting in a bag of rice, I'm not feeling confident though.
    I was going to pull it apart but I don't have the screw head required.

For rain protection around this price point (plus some!) a Moto G6 might be a better option.

Otherwise I'd be looking at buying a waterproof cover/bag from Amazon that gets an abundance of 4 star plus reviews.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Good question.

I don't think waterproofing is amongst the key features from xiaomi - someone on the Mi A1 thread fried their phone in very innocuous sounding circumstances..

I guess a decent case will help, but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will be along soon :)

Edit:
    Quote: chrismon
    Mine got slight damp when I was out on my bike.
    Phones dead, sitting in a bag of rice, I'm not feeling confident though.
    I was going to pull it apart but I don't have the screw head required.

You can pick a set of phone tools up on eBay for very small money (about 2 Eur) so handy to have!

Just a quick update on my purchase experience from Goldway on AliExpress.

My phone arrived intact and all working fine.
    However I had also ordered a glass screen protector.
    Unfortunately it wasn't contained in the usual hard cardboard cases they're usually protected in.
    The bubble wrap wasn't enough and it got cracked in transit.

It wasn't the end of the world, better than the phone being damaged.

Anyhow long story short.
    After some toing and froing they refunded me via PayPal.

So if you don't mind waiting ~10 days and you want to buy it a little cheaper, then Goldway on AliExpress is a good option to consider IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

This post has been deleted.

Seems to be 2 to me.
    Charges 1% per minute approx.
    I use several types of chargers... original, Moto QC 2 and generic QC 3.

Although saying that, I don't think QC 3 is faster than Q2? Isn't it that for QC3 the phone itself can vary the voltage rather than the charger?

Anyhow it's not slow Apple style charging which is a bonus in itself.

It seems like MiUi has automatically downloaded the 9.5.19 download file and now prompting me to reboot to complete the update. Nightmare!

However I figured out where it's located and managed to delete it (took a copy just in case).

Anyhow if anyone is interested you have to delete it from the following folder
    internal storage/downloaded_rom

Edit: I rebooted and I'm still on .17, so deleting the update file works. The system is unaffected and still reports that an update to .19 is available.
    Guess I'll have to continue deleting it whether it gets downloaded. Another 9 days to go!

It seems like MiUi has automatically downloaded the 9.5.19 download file and now prompting me to reboot to complete the update. Nightmare!

However I figured out where it's located and managed to delete it (took a copy just in case).

Anyhow if anyone is interested you have to delete it from the following folder
    internal storage/downloaded_rom

Edit: I rebooted and I'm still on .17, so deleting the update file works. The system is unaffected and still reports that an update to .19 is available.
    Guess I'll have to continue deleting it whether it gets downloaded. Another 9 days to go!

Turn OFF automatic updates in settings!

"If you are on MIUI 9, then:
    - Go to Settings
    - About Phone
    - System Updates
    - Click on 3 dots above right
    - Turn Off both "Download Automatically" and "Download using Mobile Data"."

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Seems to be 2 to me.
    Charges 1% per hour approx.

thinking you mean 1% per minute?:D

thinking you mean 1% per minute?:D

Quite right sir!
    Will amend.

• Advertisement

corkie wrote: »

Turn OFF automatic updates in settings!

"If you are on MIUI 9, then:
    - Go to Settings
    - About Phone
    - System Updates
    - Click on 3 dots above right
    - Turn Off both "Download Automatically" and "Download using Mobile Data"."
    Thanks Corkie.
    The strange thing is I already did that.
    Perhaps it did it too late, or maybe they're adamant to get this version updated.

Actually I just double checked and I missed 2 of the settings.
    Thanks again!

@biebiebie The funny thing is that rom is suppose to be suspended/delayed, so surprised your been offered to download it.

Edit: - Different rom: - China Developer ROM 8.7.19

Hopefully they are removing ARP from future roms, or working on a way to disable it.

Perhaps the RN5 delay is no more and the rollout commenced.
    Anyhow I'm hopefully sorted now, panic over for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭dougm1970

RHJ wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel like the volume of headphones is too low?

I have the volume set near max now whereas with the 3 I rarely went above the recommended limit where it warns you about hearing loss.

go into sound settings for the headphones and choose a different configuration...makes a huge difference....i did that...although havent got my sons phone to talk you through exactly which option i chose

Yeah just pick whatever ones sound best. The actual device you choose doesn't really matter.

Settings > Additional settings > Headphones & audio effects

I have the following set
    Mi sound enhancer
    Standard edition

(I have a pair of the original version of the Xiaomi pistons)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

RHJ wrote: »

Believe there is some EU reg concerning these things & hearing loss :rolleyes: so would expect any non EU location would sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We have an issue with volume on select to speak floating icon. All sound settings are on full but the sound has deteriorated a bit.
    Must check out the above tip .☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

0lddog wrote: »
    Believe there is some EU reg concerning these things & hearing loss :rolleyes: so would expect any non EU location would sort it.

Great tip, just changed region to N. Korea (south Africa also works!) and once you lock and unlock the phone, the volume gets a great boost!

Advertisement