Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Lose 6 Kildare Routes to Go-Ahead

Options
  • 16-03-2018 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/news/leinster/2018/0316/947911-bus-eireann-kildare/
    Bus Éireann has lost the right to operate six routes on the Kildare bus corridor after an open tender was won by the UK firm Go-Ahead.

National Transport Authority CEO Anne Graham said that around 70 Bus Éireann bus drivers would be affected, but said that as the market is growing, redundancies were not expected.

Ms Graham declined to reveal the amount of the Go-Ahead bid, however, she said the contract had been awarded on criteria of 65% of points for price, and 35% for quality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Routes are 120, 120C, 123, 124, 126, 130

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Be interesting to see what go ahead charge. The service from naas (126) is dismal. Regularly late and nearly 11 quid return to city centre. The rush hour bus takes nearly an hour an a half to get in because it leaves way too late. And only two go to Stephens green with the rest going up the quays. Hopefully go ahead address these issues

Be interesting to see what go ahead charge. The service from naas (126) is dismal. Regularly late and nearly 11 quid return to city centre. The rush hour bus takes nearly an hour an a half to get in because it leaves way too late. And only two go to Stephens green with the rest going up the quays. Hopefully go ahead address these issues

NTA say no price changes expected. The above link has now updated info and whinging from the NBRU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    NTA say no price changes expected. The above link has now updated info and whinging from the NBRU!

Strange when they said 65% of the bid was based on pricing. Suggests that bus eireann were going to jack up the price if they had got it then

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Strange when they said 65% of the bid was based on pricing. Suggests that bus eireann were going to jack up the price if they had got it then

Or they both scored equally on price but their service let them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭gmg678

will goahead  take tax saver tickets I wonder?
    Will they cut smaller villages out, like Coill Dubh and Staffan?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

gmg678 wrote: »
    will goahead  take tax saver tickets I wonder?
    Will they cut smaller villages out, like Coill Dubh and Staffan?

The ticketing and the routes are controlled by the NTA so I'd imagine not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Kfagan10

Ticketing, leap cards etc will stay the same as a result of continued NTA regulation.

Also 23 new vehicles, all wheelchair accessible, are to be purchased for use over these routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

I wonder how this will be affected by UKs withdrawal from EU?
    Will Brexit cause these Bus Routes to disappear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It appears to be a rereun of the Bus Aha Cliath BMO process,with the incumbent scoring well on the cost element,only to lose out on the Quality proviso.

The strength of the Go-Ahead bid tends to be their proven track record in meeting Quality Targets set by Regulatory & Tendering Agencies abroad.

Under the current direct award contracts to the CIE companies,it is only very recently within the lifetime of the second tranche of DA tenders that externally verified compliance was introduced,whereas,Go-Ahead had decades of TfL and other bodies verifiable monitoring results.

With the NTA currently recruiting staff for their compliance monitoring sections,Commuting customers will need to get comfortable with making their views known to a completely different entity than the actual operator.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/nta-announces-preferred-bidder-for-bus-services-on-kildare-commuter-corridor/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement

No relevance whatsoever,as Go-Ahead Dublin is registered in Ireland and to all intents and purposes is an IRISH operation.

The prospect of a Hard Border at Johnstown in thankfully...remote.....I hope....:D

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why would it? Plenty of non EU companies operate here and go ahead operate in non EU countries. In the unlikely event they do pull the plug here, then the nta can just re-tender it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

AlekSmart wrote: »
    With the NTA currently recruiting staff for their compliance monitoring sections,Commuting customers will need to get comfortable with making their views known to a completely different entity than the actual operator.

Brilliant, it is not as if you ever got anywhere complaining to DB or BE IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I wonder will they get off to as poor a start as with the 139: no signage anywhere and no RTPI integration.

n97 mini wrote: »
    I wonder will they get off to as poor a start as with the 139: no signage anywhere and no RTPI integration.

Many appear willing to cut the NTA some slack on the 139 startup,but I am of the opposite opinion.

With the Tendering process now fully operational,the NTA now have to step out of the background and take possession of the Public facing role they have so assidiously sought.

It is not as if the 139 tendering process included some huge technical impediment or was beset with problems,in fact,the opposite is the case,with the process being virtually self managing.

IF the 139 startup is to be now taken as the standard for future NTA operations,then this nees to be challenged NOW,in advance of a Luas Cross City situation being allowed to become the norm.

The first priority is to make the Contract Provisions PUBLIC,with whatever financial details are deemeed commercially sensitive redacted.

For some odd reason,whilst ALL PSO contracts relevant to the CIE companies are in the Public Domain,the NTA have been markedly reticent in relation to the Dublin BMO contracts now signed and in place...Why the need to keep these out of the Public eye ?

The era of the paper Destination Slip should be long gone.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Alek - the Bus Eireann contract for Waterford routes isn't public either.

There have been three competitive tenders for existing routes and none of them are public, two won by Go-Ahead and one by Bus Eireann - that doesn't seem to suggest there is anything untoward going on since it seems pretty consistent.

It appears to be a rereun of the Bus Aha Cliath BMO process,with the incumbent scoring well on the cost element,only to lose out on the Quality proviso.

The strength of the Go-Ahead bid tends to be their proven track record in meeting Quality Targets set by Regulatory & Tendering Agencies abroad.

Under the current direct award contracts to the CIE companies,it is only very recently within the lifetime of the second tranche of DA tenders that externally verified compliance was introduced,whereas,Go-Ahead had decades of TfL and other bodies verifiable monitoring results.

https://www.transportforireland.ie/nta-announces-preferred-bidder-for-bus-services-on-kildare-commuter-corridor/
    In the NTA plan for the next few years there was an interesting aim in relation to beefing up the monitoring and compliance and making it more robust and challenging for operators to meet, or something to that effect.

devnull wrote: »

There have been three competitive tenders for existing routes and none of them are public, two won by Go-Ahead and one by Bus Eireann - that doesn't seem to suggest there is anything untoward going on since it seems pretty consistent.

It is this consistently that is somewhat concerning.

ALL of the contracts are Public Record documents once the appropriate statutory requirements are met and the documents signed.

Why are the BMO contract provisions not public,in the exact same manner as the current PSO Contracts are ?

BTW,in case you feel a Public vs Private moment coming on,I include the M&A Coaches contracts and whatever other Private operators contracts there are out there.

The Bus Atha Cliath 10% announcement was on the 10th August 2017 and I fail to see why,in March 2018 we still have not sight of the contract.

It certainly does'nt meet the standards in place elsewhere in the Bus Market Tendering world...

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=a0d4d08f-32f9-4a7a-804b-a0e97e9c19e6

The Annex's contain the pertinent information which,bizzarely,appear to be subject to Top Secrecy rules in our form of democracy ?

Deedsie wrote: »
    Any chance they could ever lose the X12 bus route as they ain't running it well. NTA have zero interest in holding them to account either
    It's a commercial. Self funded route so outside the scope of tendering.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wonder what will happen with the use of Bus Aras for these routes.

I realise most operate from Connolly, so they avoid that issue, but a few do, I suppose they'll move them out of Bus Aras.

It seems like Go Ahead are very serious about entering the market here, looks like they will be a major player across the Dublin region.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

That's a disgraceful fare considering it's only €3.70 from Sallins to Hueston on the train. Buses should always be less than trains not more.

bk wrote: »
    I wonder what will happen with the use of Bus Aras for these routes.

I realise most operate from Connolly, so they avoid that issue, but a few do, I suppose they'll move them out of Bus Aras.

It seems like Go Ahead are very serious about entering the market here, looks like they will be a major player across the Dublin region.

It wouldn't surprise me if they went for the Luas contract too when Transdev's expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Stephen15 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if they went for the Luas contract too when Transdev's expires.

I hope they do.

The fact there is a choice of operators to run the Luas is fantastic. The problems Transdev had could be their loss in the long run.

salonfire wrote: »
    I hope they do.

The fact there is a choice of operators to run the Luas is fantastic. The problems Transdev had could be their loss in the long run.

Why, they wouldn't have handled the current problems any differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,997 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GA likely wouldn't be able to address those issues given they seem to be both a timetable and specified route issue? fares are set by the NTA also so GA wouldn't have any control on that score either.
    effectively they will just run what the NTA specify in the manner they specify.

NTA control fares so bus eireann couldn't simply jack them up.
    salonfire wrote: »
    I hope they do.

actually i am not sure there really is a choice of operators. can anyone remember how many operators bid for the previous luas contracts?
    the possible choice of operators wouldn't really be relevant anyway as the tenderer specifies what runs and how it runs, within the criteria set out by the tenderer. whoever meets that gets the contract.
    the problems with the luas currently aren't much, if anything to do with transdev by the sounds of things but the implementation of luas cross-city as a whole. there are other entities who had a part to play and they failed in their part to address the traffic issues. transdev can only now work with what they have.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

Its a serious amount of Drivers GA are going to need to get.

What happens if G/A can't provide the services due to a lack of drivers.

Ballymount and Redcow is already jammed during the day adding all these extra buses is going to lead to problems.

I take it GA will be using the same depot for their ex-DB routes and the ex-BE routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

It is this consistently that is somewhat concerning.

ALL of the contracts are Public Record documents once the appropriate statutory requirements are met and the documents signed.

Why are the BMO contract provisions not public,in the exact same manner as the current PSO Contracts are ?

BTW,in case you feel a Public vs Private moment coming on,I include the M&A Coaches contracts and whatever other Private operators contracts there are out there.

The Bus Atha Cliath 10% announcement was on the 10th August 2017 and I fail to see why,in March 2018 we still have not sight of the contract.

It certainly does'nt meet the standards in place elsewhere in the Bus Market Tendering world...

https://www.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.aspx?c=2&id=a0d4d08f-32f9-4a7a-804b-a0e97e9c19e6

The Annex's contain the pertinent information which,bizzarely,appear to be subject to Top Secrecy rules in our form of democracy ?

The contracts with M&A, IE, DB and BE (except Waterford) are direct award net costs contracts and must be available to.view.

All other contracts (including BE Waterford) are competitive tender gross cost contracts and not availible for the public to view, they are considered commercially sensitive (whilst not a PSO service contract the LUAS contract is considered the same - commercially sensitive). The old BE Route 817 was a competitive tender gross cost contract and this too was not availible to the public.

This is in accordance with EU Regulation.

IE 222 wrote: »
    Its a serious amount of Drivers GA are going to need to get.

What happens if G/A can't provide the services due to a lack of drivers.

Ballymount and Redcow is already jammed during the day adding all these extra buses is going to lead to problems.

I assume that they will use hire-ins if they need to, I doubt it will come to that, but it's an option and BE are doing a lot of hire ins recently on Dublin Commuter services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

I assume that they will use hire-ins if they need to, I doubt it will come to that, but it's an option and BE are doing a lot of hire ins recently on Dublin Commuter services.

Wouldn't be a good start. Are the hire -ins not a case of been short of buses as well rather than just drivers

Advertisement