Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What everyday things are you not able to do?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

Eat caviar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I'm directionally dyslexic. Tell me to go left and I'll instinctively think right. This made the driving test very difficult for me.

I have issues opening childproof bottles.

I still type using mainly my index fingers. Never mastered touch typing.

I can't iron because I fcuking hate ironing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

My list is a bit long so here goes. I can't sing, drive, do that whistle where you put your finger and thumb in your mouth, swim, run far, sew anything, do my own make up properly, knit, plan too far ahead because I'm afraid something might happen before the event, wear any high heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭SM01

Can't breath through my nose without the aid of drugs. No drugs, no air getting through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

I can't swim, whistle, drive and never learned to ride a bike without stabilisers. Can't touch type without looking at the keyboard and even then can only use my first two fingers. That's after 27 years of trying to learn. Had huge difficulty learning to use scissors and never could master the 'proper' way to hold a pen. Couldn't tie a bow until my teens and never mastered my school tie.

Home economics classes were humiliating for me as I constantly spilled stuff and cut myself. Was forced to do woodwork in first year and could neither saw nor chisel anything.

In my forties I finally realised that I most likely have dyspraxia. There was no awareness of that back when I was a kid in the 70s and it seems almost impossible to get a diagnosis as an adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm genuinely surprised at the number of people who can't swim or drive. My parents were very big on both so I just assumed everyone's were the same, which is probably quite naive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I can't talk properly. It's not a problem I've always had. In fact, it's only in the last 2/3 years. Instead of my brain giving me sentences, it gives me a vague idea of what it wants to say and then moves on to think about a million other things, giving my mouth no further instruction. Often this just results in word vomit, or mashing two related words together. Sometimes I just have to stop mid-sentence because I realise absolutely none of what I just said made any sense. It's really quite annoying because a) it's only a relatively recent thing and b) it makes me look like an idiot when really it's my head working over time and shutting down what it considers non-essentials... such as speaking properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭MadamRazz

I cant understand measurements. How long is a yard? A mile? An inch? No idea. I need to have it compared to a distance i know. Like from my house to the next village etc.

I cant have kids or cook so I make a pretty ****ty wife. Also cant swim, skip stones on water, tie my laces normally. I have no imagination, give me a blank page and ask me to doodle something and nope. Automatically tell my left from my right, i always have go think on which hand the thumb and index finger make an L. And the list goes on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I'm genuinely surprised at the number of people who can't swim or drive. My parents were very big on both so I just assumed everyone's were the same, which is probably quite naive.

My parents were big on driving and still are. I was pushed to take my theory test and those initial four lessons and they've never let it go that I can't drive. I still get snide remarks and jabs about if only I could drive. I have a free travel pass due to my condition and it would be very expensive for my partner and I to have a car each or for me to get lessons and get insured and all of that. The main difficulty for me is that I can't walk that far so sometimes public transport is difficult for me and it would be great for me to be able to drive for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I can’t seem to concentrate without sticking my tongue out
    My arms are really weak and I struggle with pushing and pulling doors if they’re any way heavy
    I can only eat carrots shaped like batons can’t touch them in circles or even worse mashed
    I can’t get a decent nights sleep I’m so fidgety I’m up and down like a whores knickers all night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I can’t whistle

Although I’m right-handed I can’t use a knife in my right hand if I’m using a fork with my left- ie I can use a knife in my right hand to butter bread etc but if eating a meal and using a knife and fork I need to use the knife in my left hand and the fork in my right.
    Snap!

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Oh I can’t swim either

I can’t bear my face under water, hate being in the pool where other people might not have washed or peed in it. I have no coordination. I would have heart failure if I couldn’t touch my feet on the bottom. My brother pushed me into the pool when I was about six or seven. I was at the side debating if I’d climb in without using the steps, he shoved me. Hate the water now. Even walking down by the canal would make me dizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Dial Hard wrote: »

Lots of Irish people can’t swim. Many girls in my class in school couldn’t. Pretty much all the people from rural areas I was in school with couldn’t swim. Maybe it’s because there are no swimming pools out in the sticks? Or their parents couldn’t swim so they didn’t? I dunno.

My Mother “dropped me in a swimming pool when I was a couple of months old and I taught myself to swim”. I’m sure there was more involved but I never got swimming lessons and worked as a lifeguard during my teens.. So something worked!

I was always being pushed to learn to drive since I turned 17. But I’d no interest. My brother passed his test at 17. I didn’t do my test until my mid twenties (a few years ago!). Was scary at the start but I love driving now. It’s so expensive to get on the road though. No wonder so many people don’t learn to drive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Gargle.
    Not great at swallowing tablets either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I can’t sing. Would love to be able to though. Always jealous of those who can!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

MadamRazz wrote: »
    I cant understand measurements. How long is a yard? A mile? An inch? No idea. I need to have it compared to a distance i know. Like from my house to the next village etc.

So if your house is a mile to the next village, you can visualize an inch by dividing that distance by 63360?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I can't drive. However, I can ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Can't dance

• Registered Users Posts: 18,902 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I can't wink or roll my tongue.

I got my 25m swimming badge but cheated so can't swim and for some reason I can't float either, tried on back and front but just sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Del2005 wrote: »

I got my 25m swimming badge but cheated so can't swim and for some reason I can't float either, tried on back and front but just sink.
    how do you cheat at swimming.

i cant take tablets

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I can't tie a neck tie.

I can't really peel an orange. We always ate apples and bananas as kids so I'm pure clumsy with oranges compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I can't ride a bike or swim because I have balance issues :(

how do you cheat at swimming.

I walked ;)

Noveight wrote: »

I can't really peel an orange. We always ate apples and bananas as kids so I'm pure clumsy with oranges compared to others.

A co worker showed me an easy way to peel an orange with a fork

https://youtu.be/AThmIlv04t4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Del2005 wrote:
    I walked

On water ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I can't swim or drive, I have a fear of water sort of and driving terrifies me as well, even though I'd love to be able to do both.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Insert a USB key correctly first time

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I cant cook rice to save my life. Always make a mess of it

The same for me for years, sticky yucky gloopy mess but then my wife showed me how to do it
    For basmati rice
    Step 1.
    Ignore the instructions on the bag, it's all wrong

2. put some rice in a saucepan, whatever amount you want to eat but don't over fill the saucepan, an inch or two deep is loads

3.Put in water up to about double the height of the rice you already put in (I stick in my finger to see how deep it is, and estimate the water

4. Stick the lid on the saucepan and turn on full heat until the water starts to froth, just before it boils over, turn the heat right down to the lowest setting on your hob and leave it. The steam from the rest of the water will soak into your rice making it nice and fluffy.

5. Wait until you see the rice 'standing up' and take it off the heat and put it in a serving bowl to stop it sticking together and keep it all nice and fluffy.

The great thing about this is that most of the time it's cooking on a very low heat, so even if you leave it a bit too long the worst is that a small amount gets stuck to the bottom of the saucepan (unless you leave it way too long and smell burning, even then you can probably salvage most of the rice, just don't scrape off the burnt bits into the food you're gonna be eating)

If there is some rice stuck to the bottom of the pan, just leave it there and put in some cold water on top of it, after a few minutes it'll lift right off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

Del2005 wrote: »

My missus can't wink either, she just blinks at me, it's hilarious to see. She also can't flare her nostrils or wiggle her ears so I tell her that she can't do anything with her face :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

I can't adjust the length of straps using those plastic buckle things.

You know the ones that you pull it and it shortens and then you let a bit out to lengthen it...nope can't use them at all.

I usually end up snapping off the plastic thing and just tying it in a knot.

Advertisement