Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have plugged to your tv

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dam099 wrote: »
    Havent used one but I think a proper HDMI matrix switch will allow you to watch different (or the same if you want) inputs on each TV. They seem to be stupid money for anything past 2X2 though.

Yes, though you run into issues if using Harmony remotes. The Hub based version can only control one device at a time.

Of course there are other options you can go with, but it definitely gets more tricky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

dam099 wrote: »
    Havent used one but I think a proper HDMI matrix switch will allow you to watch different (or the same if you want) inputs on each TV. They seem to be stupid money for anything past 2X2 though.

Yea imo not worth it, all tvs are smart and have coaxial connected,
    So basically 'yall can watch what I want through the coms box or use tvs Built in FTA or smart TV.'

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I have currently a PS4 and HTPC plugged into the TV, but have a Fire TV Stick on the way to trial run replacing the HTPC.

Kodi is the main "thing" that runs on the TV, so hearing so much good feedback on it from the Kodi community online. I'm a big fan of being able to minimise and condense things, so if I can replace the HTPC with it, happy days.

Currently going through the setu to have Alexa control Kodi, wow...not very straight forward at all

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭ImportMeHappy

lordgoat wrote: »
    I was considering 2 in ceiling speakers and a plarbar under the TV for surround but I would sacrifice all this for a 'cleaner' space

I'm thinking of going the sound bar route too for the front channels.
    Never been that impressed with the sound quality from ceiling speakers.
    Toying with the idea of a quality wireless speaker for the rear channels like Denon heos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just finishes an extension, during it I posted this question https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=868 didn't get any response so went ahead - not a big mistake but still a mistake.
    If you're doing an extension ask the questions of the electrician. When I got the bill I realized I should have run HDMI as well - aka more cable

Reason being is that a HDMI matrix is a 1/3 the price of a good HDBaseT matrix. (HD Anywhere is top of my list)

Have three tv poins each with 3 coax and two cat6. If I was doing it again I'd switch to cat 7 or at least cat6a and have one HDMI.

Currently have a Sony bravia TV and sound bar connected to Saorview and Free sat to try them out.

Get our internet from VM so took package deal and it was only 15 more a month.

In "AV Cupboard" have VM router, VM box, BluRay player, and a Raspberry PI.

TV is connected to Router and get a feed from VM Box over the second cat 6 cable with a Labger PoE extender. I manually switch between the BluRay and VM Box by changing the cables.
    Works well bt EMI from it causes the Saorview to break down. The coax is a long feed to the antenna in attic so I'll add a mast head amp when I get time, for now I don't need Saorview. When the VM deal runs out I' plan to cut the cord.

Any idea if a Labgear HDMI switch will play well with their HDMI extender, they are about 50 to 70 bucks ex vat.

The PI is connected to a hard disk full of movies, I've set up a SAMBA server so I can play then on the TV and back up phones....

Long term plan is to have two TV points, Saorview and Free sat + NetFlix....
    A HDMI switch for Blu Ray and WII would be enough at 1 TV the second will be on a stand so Local boxes will do. The 3rd TV point is in the kids play room, they are 5 so can wait for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

^^ I suppose the ideal would be to also run some empty cable conduit in the walls along with pull cables, so that you can always change things around in future. E.g. Upgrade a HDMI cable to a HDMI 2.2 cable, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bk wrote: »
    ^^ I suppose the ideal would be to also run some empty cable conduit in the walls along with pull cables, so that you can always change things around in future. E.g. Upgrade a HDMI cable to a HDMI 2.2 cable, etc.

To late for that now!

Advertisement