Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you have plugged to your tv

Options
  • 08-03-2018 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Just thinking here,
    I'm about to get a switch port for the coms cabinet,

Thinking how many ports I'll need
    All i can think I'll need is 1 for the android TV, 1 for FTA box and one for security cameras.
    DVD player very maybe.

Dont play playstation or Xbox.
    Am i missing any obvious ports to get to the tv?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nvidia shield
    PS4
    USB LED lights

When I get a new TV
    Soundbar

What more is there?!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,323 ✭✭✭✭ted1

1 HDMI Cable From the amp

Into the AMP I have
    Apple TV
    Amazon fire stick
    Blue Ray player
    Sky Q box

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Depends on what devices you use, game consoles, etc.

Of course you don't need to run separate ethernet cables to each device by the TV. You can just run one ethernet cable and then put a cheap gigbit ethernet switch there to connect multiple devices too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

plex-logo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 34,556 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One Sony BVM CRT monitor with a scart to BNC adapter. Running into that is a scart switcher with the following consoles hooked up:

Megadrive, SNES, Famicom, PC Engine, PS1,PS2, N64, Dreamcast, Saturn, GameCube and Wii.

I then have the BVM video out running to a Sony LMD LCD in, so all of the above can simultaneously be displayed on an LCD.

The LMD also does SDI in, which I have a PS3, WiiU, 360 and a Kodi box running into.

It's a really fun spiderweb of cables :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

o1s1n wrote:
    It's a really fun spiderweb of cables

But your scart switcher is pants O1s1n!!

I've a Sony 4 K

I've just one HDMI arc connection to the amp

3 coax for twin satellite and DTV

The amp handles the rest but TBH the TV has built-in Kodi, Netflix etc.

PS4 Xbox one on the AMP

Have been using the amp less and less since the Android TV arrived.
    It has voice control, turns on and off the amp.

There is a lot to be said for only having one remote control.

Stoner wrote: »
    But your scart switcher is pants O1s1n!!

I've a Sony 4 K

I've just one HDMI arc connection to the amp

3 coax for twin satellite and DTV

The amp handles the rest but TBH the TV has built-in Kodi, Netflix etc.

PS4 Xbox one on the AMP

Have been using the amp less and less since the Android TV arrived.
    It has voice control, turns on and off the amp.

There is a lot to be said for only having one remote control.

Csn I ask what AMP you have? Looking to invest and get rid of some cables!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

lordgoat wrote:

I got it in 2012 it's a panason vsx I think it's the 2020 model.

It's old now, won't switch 4K

It has some smart features, I can control it over IP, but don't, I don't even need it's remote now the tv remote brings it in and as as I request it.
    Has internet radio too.

The newer ones have better aps

Stoner wrote: »
    lordgoat wrote:

I got it in 2012 it's a panason vsx I think it's the 2020 model.

It's old now, won't switch 4K

It has some smart features, I can control it over IP, but don't, I don't even need it's remote now the tv remote brings it in and as as I request it.
    Has internet radio too.

The newer ones have better aps
    Sounds like the vsx920 sane as mine , did you get it richer sounds ?

Ideally I'm looking to minimise the number of cables going to the TV. The lady-goat is not a fan of cables or mess at all and i'm trying to think of ways to get rid of a few

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Virgin and Xbox are HDMI'd to the TV. The TV, Virgin and Xbox all have their own optical connection to a manual switcher that runs to an old Samsung 5.1 DVD system (which works great and won't be replaced until it dies). Thankfully all the cables are hidden because it's quite a mess behind there.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Ideally I'm looking to minimise the number of cables going to the TV. The lady-goat is not a fan of cables or mess at all and i'm trying to think of ways to get rid of a few

Thanks
    It’s all to do with cable management. My tv is wall mounted with no visible cables going into it.
    Popped a hole in the stud wall dropped the cables down and brought them out the bottom. I used brush wall plates where the cables enter and exit the wall.

Like these but single gang
    http://cpcireland.farnell.com/cable-power/cpz002/brush-plate-white-2-gang-white/dp/AV25024

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Combi sat box, rpi, Blu-ray player, Xbox, turntable all plugged into av receiver with one cable out to the TV.

Waiting on new harmony remote landing so could hide all away if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

silly question, whats the AMP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

tech wrote: »
    silly question, whats the AMP?

Denon avrx2300, great amp. New model is the 2400.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

A single 30 meter long HDMI cable plugged into the back of the TV.

This cable then runs into my study where it connects to. Denon AV, forgotten the model now. Into the Denon the following is connected:

- Nvidia Shield TV
    - Linux Satellite FTA box
    - NowTV / Riki box
    - Mac mini
    - PS3
    - PS4
    - Xbox 360

The Logitech Harmony Elite is key to controlling these devices in the study from the living room.

The study looks like a server room for NASA, but at least the rats nest of cables is out of sight and away from sticky fingers ��

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

sounds impressive, any pics going

tech wrote: »
    sounds impressive, any pics going

Haha not a hope it looks like a disaster zone!! Perhaps in a few weeks once I've done a spring clean 😊

bk wrote: »
    A single 30 meter long HDMI cable plugged into the back of the TV.

This cable then runs into my study where it connects to. Denon AV, forgotten the model now. Into the Denon the following is connected:

- Nvidia Shield TV
    - Linux Satellite FTA box
    - NowTV / Riki box
    - Mac mini
    - PS3
    - PS4
    - Xbox 360

The Logitech Harmony Elite is key to controlling these devices in the study from the living room.

The study looks like a server room for NASA, but at least the rats nest of cables is out of sight and away from sticky fingers ��

This is the dream. So your TV source is HDMI 1 (for example) and you control the source be a remote? (I'm guessing a harmony)

Is this easy to set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

This is the dream. So your TV source is HDMI 1 (for example) and you control the source be a remote? (I'm guessing a harmony)

Is this easy to set up?

I have just received my coms box last week,

Have house wired with cat6.
    Switches, splitters and hdmi-RJ45 modules on the way,
    Harmony remote awaiting to be opened, and brand new 55 in tv to sit on the wall once i get final paint coat on.

Then its a case of getting everything to talk to harmony and set the switch ports and I should be set.

Will do a demo and how to once its done, but wont be doing it for a month or two.

Tv should sit on wall with no other electrical device in sitting room, the rest of gadgets tucked away in study.
    Essentially cable free.

Even wired a switch for tv socket to go on opposite wall beside light switch.

Its easy to set up, but know how and a little learning curve is needed.

• Advertisement

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I have just received my coms box last week,

Have house wired with cat6.
    Switches, splitters and hdmi-RJ45 modules on the way,
    Harmony remote awaiting to be opened, and brand new 55 in tv to sit on the wall once i get final paint coat on.

Then its a case of getting everything to talk to harmony and set the switch ports and I should be set.

Will do a demo and how to once its done, but wont be doing it for a month or two.

Tv should sit on wall with no other electrical device in sitting room, the rest of gadgets tucked away in study.
    Essentially cable free.

Even wired a switch for tv socket to go on opposite wall beside light switch.

Its easy to set up, but know how and a little learning curve is needed.

Would really appreciate that. As it stands we are about to get the room painted and then I'll look to get a new tv ordered. And by that stage the home network should be up. It's wired just have to terminate and set it up.

Ideally all I want is Nvidia, shield, PS4 and surround sound, I have VM TV at the moment but will probably get rid of that for FTA Sat (happy with Saorview) as I pretty much use NVidia for watching TV/Movies.

Is this easy to set up?

Yes, a single hdmi cable going from the Denon Av in the study to the Tv in the living room, with everything on HDMI.

The Harmony remote turns on the tv, denon av, shield/PS4/sat box and sets the denon to the correct input.

There are some things about my setup that complicate it slightly. I've got 5.1 cinema speakers and a sub woofer in the living room, so I also have 6 audio cables going from the Denon Av in the study to the speakers in the living room.

If I had it to do over again I might simplify it by just putting a good sound bar under the TV and a simple HDMI switch in the study. Less wires then. I'm not sure that the 5.1 sound is really worth it.

If I had it to do over again I might simplify it by just putting a good sound bar under the TV and a simple HDMI switch in the study. Less wires then. I'm not sure that the 5.1 sound is really worth it.

Delighted to hear this.
    Its the plan.

Delighted to hear this.
    Its the plan.

I was considering 2 in ceiling speakers and a plarbar under the TV for surround but I would sacrifice all this for a 'cleaner' space

Posted on another thread, but heres a quick mock up of what I plan.
    Also ran extra cat 6 to back of each telly to hardwire a ethernet port.
    Ran another CAT6 to the wall for if i ever wanted to add a wifi hub or anything else.

IOT.png

Looks like a very good layout.

I assume the box on the right is in reality a little different.

3 way splitter and 3 way switch should actually be in parallel rather then in series, with the "3 way switch" actually being a "3 way HDMI switch" and the "3 way splitter" being a "3 way network switch".

BTW your playstation, is it a PS3 or PS4, the PS4 can be a bit temperamental with Harmony.

Looks lie a very good layout.

I assume the box on the right is in reality a little different.

3 way splitter and 3 way switch should actually be in parallel rather then in series, with the "3 way switch" actually being a "3 way HDMI switch" and the "3 way splitter" being a "3 way network switch".

BTW your playstation, is it a PS3 or PS4, the PS4 can be a bit temperamental with Harmony.

Its a ps3, but being honest Im not a gamer, if I can just get the switch port to that HDMI and play a little fifa once a month Im happy.

The splitters and switches:
    The switch is a remote switch, to say which HDMI will be sent through the CAT6. It takes 3 HDMI inports(I actually bought a 5 way switch), Harmony says which it will outport.

Its then taken from there to the splitter via HDMI.
    The Splitter then takes the source HDMI and broadcasts it over 3 HDMI's.
    So that takes 1 inport and 3 outports.

Connected to the 3 outports are 3 HDMi-RJ45's which carry the same signal to all 3 tvs via Cat6.

If theres a better way, do let me know, Nothing is opened yet so can return them all yet for a better setup.

ted1 wrote:
    Sounds like the vsx920 sane as mine , did you get it richer sounds ?

Yes I did

Just checked it is a VSX 2020.

They'd a few identical models with different covers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Its a ps3, but being honest Im not a gamer, if I can just get the switch port to that HDMI and play a little fifa once a month Im happy.

The splitters and switches:
    The switch is a remote switch, to say which HDMI will be sent through the CAT6. It takes 3 HDMI inports(I actually bought a 5 way switch), Harmony says which it will outport.

Its then taken from there to the splitter via HDMI.
    The Splitter then takes the source HDMI and broadcasts it over 3 HDMI's.
    So that takes 1 inport and 3 outports.

Connected to the 3 outports are 3 HDMi-RJ45's which carry the same signal to all 3 tvs via Cat6.

If theres a better way, do let me know, Nothing is opened yet so can return them all yet for a better setup.

Havent used one but I think a proper HDMI matrix switch will allow you to watch different (or the same if you want) inputs on each TV. They seem to be stupid money for anything past 2X2 though.

Advertisement