Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill Burr 5th June 3Arena

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Christ, why do these constantly offended people buy tickets to be offended again and again.

Was this not a p*sstake of him going on about "why don't you blog about it?"...?

Absolutely amazing gig. Even if he repeated some material from his previous shows (the bit where why would be praise a war "hero" for pointing towards the battlefield).

The idiots cheering for Trump and the ol' switcheroo had me in stitches.

He recorded his Monday morning podcast from a hotel here... probably record the Thursday one before the gig from London.

Made it in for about half of the support fella. I may have been too sober... didn't find him funny at all (yes, humour is subjective).

Also, he's 50 on Sunday (only know that through the podcast).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

verycool wrote: »
    Made it in for about half of the support fella. I may have been too sober... didn't find him funny at all (yes, humour is subjective).

I actually thought he was ok if the jokes were a but "Irish" laughing at bangardai's height etc.

He got a fair few laughs consistently through his short set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Not surprised, she was getting some stick for it. Lucky enough though, I still had it open in another tab :P

bbt1.png

She obviously wouldn't laugh at anything. What a fooking idiot. What was she expecting from a Bill Burr gig?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

Was this not a p*sstake of him going on about "why don't you blog about it?"...?

Absolutely amazing gig. Even if he repeated some material from his previous shows (the bit where why would be praise a war "hero" for pointing towards the battlefield).

The idiots cheering for Trump and the ol' switcheroo had me in stitches.

He recorded his Monday morning podcast from a hotel here... probably record the Thursday one before the gig from London.

Also, he's 50 on Sunday (only know that through the podcast).

Nah don't think so.

She later deleted her post as I think people were pulling her up on the tweet.

Can't wait for this episode of the podcast now. Hopes he rips Dublin a new hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cian84

Nah don't think so.

She later deleted her post as I think people were pulling her up on the tweet.

Can't wait for this episode of the podcast now. Hopes he rips Dublin a new hole.

Bill even mentioned at the start of his #MeToo bit that it is getting more difficult to do controversial jokes in the US because people are becoming far too sensitive and reactionary because of social media. The irony of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

went last night as Im a big fan of the bi-weekly pod cast for the last few years. He was spot on throughout in my opinion. Even for jokes that didn't land with an Irish audience he openly acknowledged that we wouldn't have a clue about what he was talking about and moved on... command of the stage was exceptional. Engaging and reacting to an audience that size was also brilliant. My wife came with me and had never heard of him but she thought he was brilliant and was laughing out loud for some of it... she particularly liked the me-too and first responder material. The emotionless father material had me in tears... overall brilliant and also cant wait for the thursday-morning-just-before-friday-monday-morning podcast is uploaded, id say the cheering of 9/11 will definitely get a reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭xtal191

JaMarcus wrote: »
    I loved it, though I do think he needs to do a bit of research on how some of his gags will be received internationally. The Brett Favre joke was brilliant, but was met with silence.

Also thought the part about the Dunleer murder case was met with an uneasy laugh by a lot of people. I thought it was fine though.

Shout out to the massive wanker in Block F who did his best to ruin the night with his fake, over the top laughter and idiotic heckling.

I do agree though that a lot was recycled. He has done a lot of that MeToo material before, as well as the Gold Digging Whores and Military "Heroes" bits.

That **** was in the row in front of us just off to the right, what an absolute dickhead he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

xtal191 wrote: »
    That **** was in the row in front of us just off to the right, what an absolute dickhead he was.

Why don’t people man up and tackle these idiots? Power in numbers.

What did Burr say about metoo, Trump and 9/11?

seachto7 wrote:

Would take 40 minutes to tell you. :):):)

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why don’t people man up and tackle these idiots? Power in numbers.

You kind of had to be there! :p

I'm probably completely wrong, but basically how "no is no" is not right because 'no' could be a coy 'noooo... don't.... stop', but when read out in court it sounds terrible.

He did a bait-and-switch appraisal of Trump. He let people clap and holler, then slagged him off. Was brilliant.

Mentioned 9/11 and then started laughing his a$$ off when the whole crowd started cheering.

• Advertisement

Apparently he's recording his special in London so we'll get to see a version of it again hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Last night was being recorded so some of it might make it on to a special or bonus footage on a DVD at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Must check the latest special on Netflix

Last night was being recorded so some of it might make it on to a special or bonus footage on a DVD at least.

Was that not just a live camera to project him on to the screens?

I only noticed that one guy who didn't move at the front of the stage. Even when Bill noticed it he went "oh f*ck, there's a camera!"

Yeah, you could be right there and if it was being recorded guess he wouldn't be saying he was surprised by the guy being there :p

Hope the Albert Hall gig is at least recorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

I'm sitting on the jax in work and I just remembered his joke about the first airbag in cars... Ye had too be there..

BobPresto wrote: »
    I'm sitting on the jax in work and I just remembered his joke about the first airbag in cars... Ye had too be there..

Actually cried laughing at that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭BobPresto

Actually cried laughing at that one.

So simple and short

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

seachto7 wrote: »
    Must check the latest special on Netflix

It's not half as good as the black and white one - I'm sorry you feel that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

BobPresto wrote: »

joke of the night...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

Was it sold out?

Was it sold out?

No. I had to sell a ticket on so checked if there was still some on sale a day beforehand.

Was it sold out?

The two blocks of seating at either end of the upper tier were empty and blocked off.

All other blocks looked very full but there still tickets on sale yesterday.

When we were collecting tickets at the box office three or four people in front of us were getting bumped up to better seats.

Not sure if that's always the best as it looks like some of the flat seating would be a nightmare to be in as there is no center aisle and so if someone in the middle is going out, a hell of a lot of people have to stand up for them.

Also, the flat seating should be curved a little as if you are on either edge in the first three or four rows, you'd have some sore neck the next day.

So I'd be sure to take a good look at where you were being bumped to if ever offered flat seating in the 3.

See Tommy must have attended last night as this tweet suggests he was backstage at some point..........

https://twitter.com/mrmusicman22/status/1004158571804753920

Actually, seen Tommy a few weeks back in City West and he had a bit on #metoo also which was similar in tone. His new show is quite good actually. All new material. Only one section of the material I heard before and that was the Abortion 5000 washing machine stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

See Tommy must have attended last night as this tweet suggests he was backstage at some point..........

https://twitter.com/mrmusicman22/status/1004158571804753920

Actually, seen Tommy a few weeks back in City West and he had a bit on #metoo also which was similar in tone. His new show is quite good actually. All new material. Only one section of the material I heard before and that was the Abortion 5000 washing machine stuff.

Yep, Bill stuck that up on his instagram after the gig tagged with:

"The legend himself Tommy Tiernan came out to the show tonight in Dublin! Incredible night!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Was it sold out?

Not quite but it was probably 80-90% full. That doesn’t surprise me. He’s not quite a household name in Ireland yet.

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Not quite but it was probably 80-90% full. That doesn’t surprise me. He’s not quite a household name in Ireland yet.

Struck me that there were other halves or mates who came along who weren't familiar with his stuff.

I only know where he was going with the Trump thing partially from his podcasts... but also from this... (nsfw language!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Yeah, his name draws a lot of blank expressions in my circles. I was actually surprised to hear that he was playing the 3. I thought he’d be more at the ‘a few nights in Vicar Street’ level. So for him to nearly pack out the 3 was impressive. Has Dylan Moran, who is much better known, ever even played the 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Shout out to the massive wanker in Block F who did his best to ruin the night with his fake, over the top laughter and idiotic heckling.

There was one of him, maybe him, at Chris Rock too. Block F. Guffawing like a twat.

I hope I'm around to see him die.

Advertisement