Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro14 to leave FTA TV?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Actually as an Ulster supporter, I guess I should ask who has the rights to Challenge Cup games these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

MJohnston wrote: »
    Actually as an Ulster supporter, I guess I should ask who has the rights to Challenge Cup games these days?

BT Sports

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

It's no exaggeration that TG4 deserve the undying gratitude of every rugby fan in the country.

BT Sports

So Eirsports in Ireland then?

Fúcking Eirsports and Virgin need to kiss and make up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I wonder will S4C also get Welsh commentary games in Wales now that TG4 have it in Ireland.

Not sure what to make of TG4 getting the rights with the channel still not in HD and the production values being minimal. The commentary is also in Irish though many families may be happy to sit down and watch a game with the language.

In fairness, you can't get much more impartial commentary than one in a language you don't understand. At least the player names don't change!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It's no exaggeration that TG4 deserve the undying gratitude of every rugby fan in the country.
    Looks like it's a three year deal they are currently negotiating. And apparently the organisers believe (as we do) that they deserve recognition for their support in the early days of the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Shame I can't thank someone twice. They've been brilliant, outside the game coverage, even the sit-down interview and in depth stuff is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Shame I can't thank someone twice. They've been brilliant, outside the game coverage, even the sit-down interview and in depth stuff is very good.

And post-match interviews! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I wonder will S4C also get Welsh commentary games in Wales now that TG4 have it in Ireland.

Not sure what to make of TG4 getting the rights with the channel still not in HD and the production values being minimal. The commentary is also in Irish though many families may be happy to sit down and watch a game with the language.

What platform are you on?
    It's HD on Sky and VM, not sure about the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

LEIN wrote: »

Because Sky and VM pay them for HD.
    Even though the station is getting gov funds it is still not in HD on saorview where the vast majority of their viewers are.

So you could pay sky 30/40 quid a month to get in hd or maybe 15 eur a month to have all games in hd on premier sports.

Unfortunately there is no way to just get bt or premier on satellite without getting sky first.

It is a pity freesat don't step in and allow people to pay a subscription to have these on a satellite platform without the unnecessary filler in the sky packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

LEIN wrote: »

TG4 HD on Eir also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

errlloyd wrote: »
    Their commentary is excellent.

I reckon that it's because they like the game of rugby first and are parochial only second! Many of the commentators on Super Rugby games from NZ and SA also sound pretty objective, probably because their evident love of the game takes priority. (By contrast, the Aussie Super Rugby commentators are pure jokeshop!)

The 'fans' who commentate on BBC NI and BBC Alba and some S4C/BBC Wales Pro 14 games are so one-eyed that they're entertaining!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

Squatter wrote: »
    I reckon that it's because they like the game of rugby first and are parochial only second! Many of the commentators on Super Rugby games from NZ and SA also sound pretty objective, probably because their evident love of the game takes priority. (By contrast, the Aussie Super Rugby commentators are pure jokeshop!)

The 'fans' who commentate on BBC NI and BBC Alba and some S4C/BBC Wales Pro 14 games are so one-eyed that they're entertaining!

NZ commentators are pretty neutral and fair when it is two NZ sides or the NZ side are winning, they can cross the line if they are losing against a non NZ team imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

The42 reporting that TG4 will be keeping their coverage after an agreement with EirSport.

Great stuff.

Hope to feck they're not blocked on north of the border... I doubt saorview works well in Belfast (if at all)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I have never come across geo blocking of TG4 on Freeview in N. Ireland. I think this is largely due to Good Friday Agreement which promoted Irish language broadcasting on the whole of the island.
    Regarding Saorview in Belfast, much of North and West Belfast can receive a decent signal from Clermont Carn in Louth as evidenced by the forest of RTE aerials in these areas. There are even aerials for CC in the residential area surrounding the Kingspan stadium in East Belfast and aerials in parts of South Belfast too.
    But don't worry anyway as TG4 is always 'in the clear' on all 3 Freeview muxes in the north including both covering Belfast i.e. Black Mountain and Carnmoney. So virtually the whole of the city is well covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Seems Champions Cup have recognised the value of free to air with TV3 and Channel4 in the mix to show some games

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2018/03/15/champions-cup-matches-shown-live-free-to-air-tv-next-season/

• Registered Users Posts: 34 JJ59

Delighted to see TG4 will still be showing Pro14 However this is another nail in the coffin for SKY if your not a Premier league fan is there any reason to keep subscribing. Tennis will be gone at end of the year Irish racing gone from ATR. It seems to be all Cricket, Darts and Golf of which I have no interest

Someone now has to tell Virgin Media and Eir to sort out their differences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I have never come across geo blocking of TG4 on Freeview in N. Ireland. I think this is largely due to Good Friday Agreement which promoted Irish language broadcasting on the whole of the island.
    Regarding Saorview in Belfast, much of North and West Belfast can receive a decent signal from Clermont Carn in Louth as evidenced by the forest of RTE aerials in these areas. There are even aerials for CC in the residential area surrounding the Kingspan stadium in East Belfast and aerials in parts of South Belfast too.
    But don't worry anyway as TG4 is always 'in the clear' on all 3 Freeview muxes in the north including both covering Belfast i.e. Black Mountain and Carnmoney. So virtually the whole of the city is well covered.

They've not had content that's licenced differently on either side of the border before though.

RTE1 & 2's coverage of games can be geo-blocked on freeview and sky/virgin depending on the match.

Advertisement