Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel Wizards

• 06-03-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

Wheel Wizards just did two of my wheels and I can't recommend them enough lads. It took a bit longer than usual due to the snow (usually three working days). The finish is as good as new (including the well) and the detail in the work is really impressive. 100 quid a wheel for 20" and they even had two spare wheels to keep me on the road.

25788361317_39f6f5fd62_c.jpg
    38849177230_6348a64b28_c.jpg
    40659269811_d56969ebf6_c.jpg
    38849177130_e9fc53021a_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The finish looks really good. I know it's not Wheel Wizards fault but that's a savage amount of weights on the first wheel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ll be dropping my own 17” M-Sport wheels in to them for a refurb just as soon as I’m ready to replace all 4 tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

I’m trying to remember if the same amount of weight was roughly on it before as it was a more joined piece to look at than what is on it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Looks great. If you only got two done, i'd imagine there's an ever so slight colour difference? Or do you plan on getting all four done?

I’ll let you know when I wash it in the next few days. I probably will get them done though as the others just look so good in terms of no odd bit of really stubborn brake dust caught inside the slight dip in the wheel, if I could keep on top of it with the small wheel woolie I’d be sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

The finish looks really good. I know it's not Wheel Wizards fault but that's a savage amount of weights on the first wheel!

Road force balancing might sort that out, it matches the tyre to the rim which reduces the amount of weights needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

Neilw wrote: »
    Road force balancing might sort that out, it matches the tyre to the rim which reduces the amount of weights needed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQxVAssnbp8

They actually have one of those machines and I saw it being used on the wheels so I’m even further confused as to why there’s so many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

MarkN wrote: »
    They actually have one of those machines and I saw it being used on the wheels so I’m even further confused as to why there’s so many.

Wheel wizards didn't have one the last I've I was there, that was a while ago though.

They may have just balanced the wheels in the normal way to save time, if they follow the road force machine instructions it means removing the tyre again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Wheel Wizards did the alloys in my 335i and I could not stop admiring the finish on them. I went for the same finish as you got Mark and they fitted the tyres without any damage at all.

The next time I got tyres on the front locally they used a pry-bar to take off the old tyre which caused damage an inch wide along the edge of the wheel through all the powder coat layers. I was absolutely fuming :mad:

Next time you get tyres PLEASE tell whoever is doing it to be extremely careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭M S E

Mark N - there is some finish to the alloys. Thanks for the pictures-getting my own done in April- can't decide between Wheel Wizards or Rim Solutions so the pictures are really helpful.

MetzgerMeister- when you got your alloys done did you notice much of a difference between the original appearance of the alloys and when they were powder coated? Also when you say you got the same finish as Mark N could you explain what you mean. I don't know a lot about powder coating so forgive my ignorance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

I had the lads refurbish my 4 wheels recently.
    Mark and the lads there are great at what they do, gave me 4 wheels to keep me on the road while they had mine.
    They also sorted a couple of bad welds that were on from previous owner.
    I sourced new tyres last week and brought them in to the lads to fit as I wouldn't trust anyone else not to damage their work.

That’s very interesting that they fitted them for you. Did they charge much? They were so careful doing the nuts up when they put back on the fresh wheels it really was a breath of fresh air when you see so many rushed jobs in this country. I’ve heard good things about Rim Solutions too, I’m not sure if they do the loan of wheels though as a few who told me to use Rim were off the road for 3 days or whatever.

M S E wrote: »
    MetzgerMeister- when you got your alloys done did you notice much of a difference between the original appearance of the alloys and when they were powder coated? Also when you say you got the same finish as Mark N could you explain what you mean. I don't know a lot about powder coating so forgive my ignorance.

When I got the car, the wheels were kerbed, scratched from poor wash routine etc. so anything was going to be an improvement. When I speak of finish it was like as though they bought new wheels from Joe Duffy but there's no discernible difference between powder and paint as in you don't look at the wheels and say "oh they they were definitely powdercoated, not painted" but powdercoat and WW's process makes them look stunning. There's no issues with paint blobbing, running or anything like that (believe me, I scrutinized them when I took them off and every mm was 100% perfect.

When I say I got the same finish I meant the same type of silver powdercoat. I can't remember the name of it but I saw it on a set of alloys that were freshly done when I dropped my own off and said to the lads "I want that finish".

I think the lad I mainly dealt with was Eric but as far as my dealings went with Mark, he refitted my alloys but they are two very nice chaps.

I had my wheels painted a few years ago, as I was told by the refurb company it was a better finish than powdercoating, more durable too. Also you could "touch up" damage done to a painted finish. My arse.

I got them redone a few years later then with a powdercoated finish and it looked much better and FAR more durable (powdercoating is rock solid). You can't touch up either finish in fairness without there being some evidence, the only solution is a complete refurb after damage IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I had my wheels painted a few years ago, as I was told by the refurb company it was a better finish than powdercoating, more durable too. Also you could "touch up" damage done to a painted finish. My arse.

I got them redone a few years later then with a powdercoated finish and it looked much better and FAR more durable (powdercoating is rock solid). You can't touch up either finish in fairness without there being some evidence, the only solution is a complete refurb after damage IMO.

Of course you can touch up a paint finish - more importantly you can match the colour perfectly too. Depends on the design of the wheel obviously, but I've had touch ups done a good few times and the finish was flawless.

Powdercoating is fine - have had several sets done myself, but you're restricted in colour choice - and you'll never match the other wheels if you only need to get one done. The finish is not as bright as a painted wheel either.

If you rash a painted finish, you'd definitely spot a touch up job, I know I would. And you're also assuming paint colour remains consistent, it doesn't, i've first hand experience of being told something is the same colour and "it's the same colour we used last time" and it's not. Yes there are brighter greys and silvers in paint than powdercoat alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

M S E wrote: »
    Mark N - there is some finish to the alloys. Thanks for the pictures-getting my own done in April- can't decide between Wheel Wizards or Rim Solutions so the pictures are really help...

I used both Rim Solutions and Wheel Wizards and both are good. I went to Wheel Wizards for the 630i wheels and got similar colour to MarkN, went back to them again after a little incident with a keen and gave them the colour code they used the last time for a perfect match. I need to go back to the, again with another wheel after an ape of a Recovery Service in Kinsale decided it was a good idea to put a strap around one of the wheel spokes when it had to go on the back of a flat bed. :mad:

For the e36 Motorsport wheels I used Rim Solutions as they do diamond cutting. They came out fantastic too. Although I did have a bit of a delay as they had a run in the lacquer which meant they had to redo two of them (before I saw them). I’ll go to the, with one of my M6 wheels as there’s a little sign of white worm showing.:(

Finally I’ve used my local painter to do a paint finish on the Cooper S Wheels, they look just fine but I think the powder cot looks fresher.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭M S E

I used both Rim Solutions and Wheel Wizards ... looks fresher.

That has to be a pain about what happened your alloy-hopefully you will get it sorted out. My main concern initially was that the powder coating wouldn't have quiet the same finish as the alloys had originally but it seems that both are very good companies from what has been said here. Just looks like it is a case of making a choice now and booking it. Sound for the reply.

Washed today (literally 3 mins later the rain started :mad:) - so here's two clean wheels for comparison.

26900815898_e0d52007b2_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Mark did they replace the centre caps or msport badge?

Was thinking of getting all 4 of mine done and think I might get new centre caps from ebay, and I think the msport badges need to be changed too don't they?

• Advertisement

They won't do that, they just do the wheels and anything else you do yourself.

I wouldn't get centre caps or M badges from ebay as they can easily discolour and fade in my experience.

They won't do that, they just do the wheels and anything else you do yourself.

I wouldn't get centre caps or M badges from ebay as they can easily discolour and fade in my experience.

where would you get them? BMW dealer?!

Yep, I get all my stuff in JKC Coleraine. Sure you pay more for them but they won't fade or discolour unlike the knock-offs.

Wouldn’t say the dealers charge too much for them either. Didn’t get them fitted though as has been said. One of my wheels is missing the M badge actually and the caps could do with replacing so I’ll get around to it. They must’ve just removed and added the badges when they were done.

One of lads in WW said to use a corkscrew to take them out as anything trying to prise them out will mark the wheel. Never thought of using one actually but it’s a good tip!

I'm sure that if you supplied them they would fit them once the job is done.

MarkN wrote: »
    Wouldn’t say the dealers charge too much for them either. Didn’t get them fitted though as has been said. One of my wheels is missing the M badge actually and the caps could do with replacing so I’ll get around to it. They must’ve just removed and added the badges when they were done.

One of lads in WW said to use a corkscrew to take them out as anything trying to prise them out will mark the wheel. Never thought of using one actually but it’s a good tip!

My OCD couldn't handle one of the msport badges missing! ill get everything off BMW dealer and ask wheel wizards to put on the new stuff when I get mine done.

Make sure they wipe the crevices with IPA or something like that if they can before they apply those M badges and don't go too close to them with a pressure washer.

Do they guarantee the diamond cut against white worm?
    Fair enough if it starts at a curb mark but if it starts in the centre.
    Wanna get my monzas done

Not sure if they can guarantee diamond cutting because using wheel brushes on a diamond cut alloy can cause tiny chips in the lacquer which then leads to white worm. Unless you use a touchless product on your wheels (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel) and the alloy has no scratches or marks that cause white worm you might have a chance.

Better off asking them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭v240gltse

Hi all

just to add my satisfaction with Wizard wheels they recently refurbished a set of Lexus is200 to a stunning level as well as correcting damage to 3 rims.

Dont pass them by HIGH QUALITY work

brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Jpwk90

Hi lads, in the market for this procedure as mine are in bad nick.

Also am getting 2 new back tyres soon.
    Excuse my ignorance but should I get the tyres before getting the wheels refurbed?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Buy the tyres and bring them along. Have Wheel Wizards put on the new tyres when they've completed their work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Do wheel wizards open during the weekend?

I was going to call up to them and make some enquiries if they were open this weekend - the job they did on the OP's car was fantastic and I badly need to get my wheels refurbished.

Do wheel wizards open during the weekend?

I was going to call up to them and make some enquiries if they were open this weekend - the job they did on the OP's car was fantastic and I badly need to get my wheels refurbished.

not 100% sure but I don't think so, think they're mon-fri only

Yeh they're a Monday to Friday job.

• Advertisement

Would there be any issue with bringing 4 new tyres to Wheel Wizards and getting them to re-install the new tyres instead of the old ones after they've re-conditioned the wheels?

I'd guess they wouldn't be too keen on dumping the old tyres would they? or maybe they would for a small fee?

Also, is it a case of just rocking up to them to get the wheels done/booked in, or do you need to call ahead and get an 'appointment'/slot? (I understand it will take a few days to get the whole process completed)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

I called them a week or two ago, I have 4 new tyres to go onto 4 old wheels that need a refurbing & asked them to do it. "No problem", they said! They can return the old tyres to you afterwards for disposal or get rid of them for you for a few Euro per tyre. Tyres were bought at Phoenix Tyres on Jones' Road, they put me onto Wheel Wizards.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Peew

Would there be any issue with bringing 4 new tyres to Wheel Wizards and getting them to re-install the new tyres instead of the old ones after they've re-conditioned the wheels?

I'd guess they wouldn't be too keen on dumping the old tyres would they? or maybe they would for a small fee?

Also, is it a case of just rocking up to them to get the wheels done/booked in, or do you need to call ahead and get an 'appointment'/slot? (I understand it will take a few days to get the whole process completed)

There will be no problem, lads are sound.
    They refurbed my wheels recently and when I came back to collect I brought new rubber which they fitted and disposed of the old for a small fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Prob a stupid question, but I will ask anyway :D

If your wheel nuts are looking a bit shabby and dated do they do anything with them?

No point in having lovely new refurbed wheels and tatty looking wheel nuts :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Prob a stupid question, but I will ask anyway :D

If your wheel nuts are looking a bit shabby and dated do they do anything with them?

No point in having lovely new refurbed wheels and tatty looking wheel nuts :P

Just buy new wheel nuts? They won’t do anything with them for you, new ones are generally plated not painted

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Not sure if they can guarantee diamond cutting because using wheel brushes on a diamond cut alloy can cause tiny chips in the lacquer which then leads to white worm. Unless you use a touchless product on your wheels (Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel) and the alloy has no scratches or marks that cause white worm you might have a chance.

Sorry to hijack thread but my first time with diamond cut wheels, is there are different washing regime for these?

Sorry to hijack thread but my first time with diamond cut wheels, is there are different washing regime for these?

If you want to keep whiteworm away, yes. Using brushes of any kind can induce tiny chips in the lacquer which then allows water in. When I first test drove my current car, the wheels had absolutely no kerb damage yet each wheel was covered in whiteworm and fine scratches from being cleaned with a wheel brush for several years. The garage replaced the whole set with a refurbished set which I have since damaged on kerbs and now have whiteworm setting in.

My advice is after getting your wheels refurbished, apply a coating such as Gtechniq C5 and use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel to clean them. Spray on the AW, let it work for a few minutes and powerwash off. This is what's known as a touchless wash. The C5 creates a barrier on top of the lacquer and acts as the sacrificial layer and doesn't allow brake dust or anything like that to bond therefore making this method of cleaning very easy.

Alternatively you can use Wheel Woolies if you would prefer to scrub them. These are pricey but they significantly reduce the chances of inducing minute damage to the wheels but if grit gets caught in the fibres it may still cause some damage.

Can you post a pic of your wheels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

If you want to keep whiteworm away, yes. Using brushes of any kind can induce tiny chips in the lacquer which then allows water in. When I first test drove my current car, the wheels had absolutely no kerb damage yet each wheel was covered in whiteworm and fine scratches from being cleaned with a wheel brush for several years. The garage replaced the whole set with a refurbished set which I have since damaged on kerbs and now have whiteworm setting in.

My advice is after getting your wheels refurbished, apply a coating such as Gtechniq C5 and use Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel to clean them. Spray on the AW, let it work for a few minutes and powerwash off. This is what's known as a touchless wash. The C5 creates a barrier on top of the lacquer and acts as the sacrificial layer and doesn't allow brake dust or anything like that to bond therefore making this method of cleaning very easy.

Alternatively you can use Wheel Woolies if you would prefer to scrub them. These are pricey but they significantly reduce the chances of inducing minute damage to the wheels but if grit gets caught in the fibres it may still cause some damage.

Can you post a pic of your wheels?

Does the C5 work on hubcaps for brake dust too?

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Does the C5 work on hubcaps for brake dust too?

It probably would but it's an expensive thing to be applying to hubcaps. You might be better off with the likes of Gtechniq C2V3 as that can be applied to the whole car and would be more worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

It probably would but it's an expensive thing to be applying to hubcaps. You might be better off with the likes of Gtechniq C2V3 as that can be applied to the whole car and would be more worthwhile.

I was just curious to be honest. I don't have a car since I moved these days but who knows, I may be lucky enough to get one that has alloys next summer :)

I shall be collecting my 4 wheels from Wheel wizards tomorrow, also have them fitting 4 brand new tires. Can’t wait to see how they turn out.

I’m ashamed to say I let one of the tyres get this bad!! (Run flat, which was constantly losing pressure (but not punctured)), but as soon as I noticed it I ordered the new tyres)

That tyre would have me looking at tracking/alignment ,
    looking forward to getting my own refurbed soon but just had timing belt done today so funds are tight.

The pressure on that wheel was regularly falling to about 25psi (from being regularly set to 32/33), and being a run flat it would be harder to spot as well as putting a lot of weight on the side walls.

Though it is probably worth while getting the alignment checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Surely when the wheels are done they will re-track it anyway?

How long does it take for them to refurb a set of wheels?

I'm so impressed with the job they did on the OP's car that I'm determined to get mine done soon, especially as it's been on my to do list for the 18 months I've owned it:D!

• Advertisement
Advertisement