Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O' Callahan Has Parkinsons Disease

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

He's been getting a lot of flack in recent years for the stuff he posts on social media about cold cases like Philip Cairns. All very disjointed and paranoid stuff.

Parkinson's does have neurological effects, much more subtle than dementia but it's there. My own grandfather lost complete control of his bipolar disorder as his Parkinson's progressed - he was found giving the checkout girls in the local Superquinn expensive watches as gifts.

I wonder if this would explain Gareths recent behaviour?

Any road, I hope he gets the support he needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Great, I would like to cash in my brownie points with your wife. *dims the lights and puts on Barry White*

Do you also want to take the kids for the night so I can watch the match in peace.
    natashaob6 wrote: »
    My intention wasn't to offend anyone who suffers from any of those degenerative disorders if I did I apologise profusely. Hopefully my apology will clear that up and we can stick to the topic of wishing Gareth and his partener Paula a long and happy future together.

Jeeze don't worry about that.
    I don't think that many people will be offended and if they can't take your well meaning intention then feck them I say.
    Sorry, but if you are to post around here you will have to toughen up.

I used to think it was fatal, but my missus is a medical professional and due to her training she would correct me on such things.
    Ignorance can sometimes be bliss when it comes to medical conditions and just thank your lucky stars you are healthy.

It is sadly one of those diseases that can leave people a shell of their former self and really a different person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

jmayo wrote: »
    Do you also want to take the kids for the night so I can watch the match in peace.

Jeeze don't worry about that.
    I don't think that many people will be offended and if they can't take your well meaning intention then feck them I say.
    Sorry, but if you are to post around here you will have to toughen up.

I used to think it was fatal, but my missus is a medical professional and due to her training she would correct me on such things.
    Ignorance can sometimes be bliss when it comes to medical conditions and just thank your lucky stars you are healthy.

It is sadly one of those diseases that can leave people a shell of their former self and really a different person.

Thank you for those kind words I really appreciate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭skylight1987

I am going to post a thinking of you card to him in 4fm .just to let him know he is in my thoughts. its the least I can do, he has entertained me with his fab voice for years .im going mad for him :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Good on you. I'm sure Gareth will appreciate that. Lovely gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I know people can still live happy and fruitful lives with Parkinsons, MS, and Dimentia but highlighting these health issues can only help people understand the effects they can have on the person's life.

And I'm saying calling it "fatal" is misleading and actually a bit upsetting for those of us with the conditions (MS and Parkinsons work in a similar manner).

Yes, it's a dreadful thing to happen anyone, let alone a man who is only in his 50s.

Just could use a bit more tact in your OP is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

I just want to pay tribute to Gareth O' Callahan of 4fm who has been diagnosed with the fatal disease Parkinsons. I heard his interview on a local radio station today and I must say I admire him for having the courage to come out and speak about the effects of hearing the news that he has had Parkinsons for a number of years but was only diagnosed recently when he felt he started to have difficulty picking up and dropping things like knives, forks and spilling cups of coffee on a regular basis. He said he is still not over the shock of hearing the news but will try to live life as normal as possible while trying to slow down the disease by exercising more changing his diet and taking medication. So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life while trying to cope with this devastating news. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gareth.

What good are your effing prayers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,548 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Down in my part of the country we didn't have pirate radio stations the majority of them were in Dublin and when RTE2 Radio launched it opened up a whole new genre of music for people outside of the Dublin area and introduced the country to a whole array of new talent that was hidden away in the pirate radio industry.

I thought there were some pirates in nearly every county. The way I remember they were very low quality. There isn't much that can be done to make playing music, and reading out the price of beans and bread in the local shop, any way exciting. Some people may remember it as a golden age, but if they listen to the recordings, it might change their minds. The two long term medium wave pirate in Monaghan and Donegal, now get a lot of their funding by selling airtime to hellfire Bible thumpers.

http://www.dxarchive.com/downloads_irish.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I remember back in the early 90's on 2FM (or was it Radio 2 "??), on his afternoon show, he use to do the "Stitch Me Up" slot, winding up some poor unfortunate. But one stitch me up I definitley remember was an ocassion, a bloke he rang, who was at his workplace, Gareth had convinced him, that he was a builder relaying all the slates on the roof of his house and had sound effects of bricks/slates been battered and thrown into a skip. Poor bloke nearly had a coronary live on air, I think he actually ended up driving to his house to check as well.....

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭batman75

Pretty sure the family of Philip Cairns were not happy with him talking about the disappearance of their son. Pretty sure they asked him to desist and yet I see this morning he has a post up on the back of a new book about the disappearance. He's hinting at being threatened in the past if he didn't leave it be. He is also insisting he is related to the young boy even though, he himself says the family dispute this. I think he should respect the family's wishes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Shao Kahn

In the words of a famous ex-sportsman who died from MND - "That's not true, there is a cure for this bloody thing... we just haven't found it yet."

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives, and it puts itself into our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." (John Wayne)

Advertisement