Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gareth O' Callahan Has Parkinsons Disease

Options
  • 06-03-2018 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭

I just want to pay tribute to Gareth O' Callahan of 4fm who has been diagnosed with the fatal disease Parkinsons. I heard his interview on a local radio station today and I must say I admire him for having the courage to come out and speak about the effects of hearing the news that he has had Parkinsons for a number of years but was only diagnosed recently when he felt he started to have difficulty picking up and dropping things like knives, forks and spilling cups of coffee on a regular basis. He said he is still not over the shock of hearing the news but will try to live life as normal as possible while trying to slow down the disease by exercising more changing his diet and taking medication. So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life while trying to cope with this devastating news. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gareth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life"

Don't tell me what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember him from the heady days of Nova in the 80's , probably the most exciting time in Irish radio history

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Gareth is a nice bloke, a bit quiet off air.

He wrote a decent enough novel back in the 90s (early 00s). But, of course he's had a long career in radio.

One thing though...
    natashaob6 wrote: »
    I just want to pay tribute to Gareth O' Callahan of 4fm who has been diagnosed with the fatal disease Parkinsons.

Parkinsons is not considered a fatal disease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

silverharp wrote: »
    I remember him from the heady days of Nova in the 80's , probably the most exciting time in Irish radio history

I remember him from the early days of 2fm when you had the best DJ's around such as the legend Larry Gogan, Jim o' Neill, Vincent Hanley and of course Dave Fanning. These guys were brilliant and the knowledge and dedication they but in to the music they played back in the day was nothing short of genius. Don't think we'll ever see the likes on Irish radio again unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He wrote a decent enough novel back in the 90s (early 00s). But, of course he's had a long career in radio.

One thing though...
    I just want to pay tribute to Gareth O' Callahan of 4fm who has been diagnosed with the fatal disease Parkinsons.

Correct. People die with it, not from it.

It is however incurable (so far).

• Advertisement

One thing though...

Maybe fatal was the wrong word to use when discussing such a sensitive topic but there is no cure for Parkinson and it progresses very slowly eventually leaving the person a shadow of their former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I remember him from the early days of 2fm when you had the best DJ's around such as the legend Larry Gogan, Jim o' Neill, Vincent Hanley and of course Dave Fanning. These guys were brilliant and the knowledge and dedication they but in to the music they played back in the day was nothing short of genius. Don't think we'll ever see the likes on Irish radio again unfortunately.

I know every teenager thinks their era was the best but damn, early to mid 80's was a real nexus of exciting times and changes in music, radio was also relatively more important as to how people enjoyed music at the time. Then there was the pirates versus RTE in Ireland for extra spice or trying to tune into stations like Radio Luxemburg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life while trying to cope with this devastating news. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gareth.

How would you suggest people go about supporting Gareth?

my thoughts are with him.

I watched a grandfather waste away with this disease. It is an absolute **** of an illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

I just want to pay tribute to Gareth O' Callahan of 4fm who has been diagnosed with the fatal disease Parkinsons. I heard his interview on a local radio station today and I must say I admire him for having the courage to come out and speak about the effects of hearing the news that he has had Parkinsons for a number of years but was only diagnosed recently when he felt he started to have difficulty picking up and dropping things like knives, forks and spilling cups of coffee on a regular basis. He said he is still not over the shock of hearing the news but will try to live life as normal as possible while trying to slow down the disease by exercising more changing his diet and taking medication. So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life while trying to cope with this devastating news. My thoughts and prayers are with you Gareth.

Sad news

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    How would you suggest people go about supporting Gareth?

Open to suggestions but i think the fact that we are discussing it on boards and the more people come on and show their support by just wishing him well for the future also by logging on to his Facebook page and leaving a message or even tweeting him. I suffered a major health scare a year ago and the amount of best wishes and support I got from people at that time helped me through a time in my life when I felt scared and depressed. Who knows maybe Gareth will log on to boards and see all the support boardies are giving him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Maybe fatal was the wrong word to use when discussing such a sensitive topic but there is no cure for Parkinson and it progresses very slowly eventually leaving the person a shadow of their former self.

Agree that it's awful news, but as someone who lives a happy and full life with MS, please stop with the doom and gloom.

Yes Parkinsons and MS are a really shíte thing to have happen, but please don't have him dead and buried just yet.

silverharp wrote: »
    I know every teenager thinks their era was the best but damn, early to mid 80's was a real nexus of exciting times and changes in music, radio was also relatively more important as to how people enjoyed music at the time. Then there was the pirates versus RTE in Ireland for extra spice or trying to tune into stations like Radio Luxemburg

Down in my part of the country we didn't have pirate radio stations the majority of them were in Dublin and when RTE2 Radio launched it opened up a whole new genre of music for people outside of the Dublin area and introduced the country to a whole array of new talent that was hidden away in the pirate radio industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

One of the few working in the Irish entertainment industry who never got my goat at some point.

His voice didn't grate on the ear. Never brought ego to the mic. Just good tunes.

He helped a lot of people outside of his radio work too.

Very sorry to hear of this diagnosis.

Agree that it's awful news, but as someone who lives a happy and full life with MS, please stop with the doom and gloom.

Yes Parkinsons and MS are a really shíte thing to have happen, but please don't have him dead and buried just yet.

I listened to Gareth's interview earlier today and he thanked people for their kind words and support they have been giving him since he went public with it so I think to suggest that I have him dead and buried by suggesting posters on here offer their support and best wishes is a bit unfair. I know people can still live happy and fruitful lives with Parkinsons, MS, and Dimentia but highlighting these health issues can only help people understand the effects they can have on the person's life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Do you have to play tunes on the wireless or are other sufferers of degenerative diseases worthy of support too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Didn't Gareth o Callaghan do a bit of rallying with the late great Frank Meagher back in the day?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Parkinsons is not fatal. It is not always progressive either.

Look at Michael J Fox and Pope John Paul II for examples of people who have had the condition for more than 20 years.

Do you have to play tunes on the wireless or are other sufferers of degenerative diseases worthy of support too?

As you know Gareth seems to be a well liked public figure and when you announce life changing news like he did on social media people will either react positively or negatively and by that i mean feeling sorry for him and I'm sure he will deal with negativity in his own way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Fatal disease? Would you not change your OP?

I remember Gareth when he was on 2fm, I can't remember exactly but I think he had the breakfast show for a while and a few other shows after that.

• Advertisement

So on this note please show your appreciation by supporting Gareth in his quest to live a long and fruitful life"

Don't tell me what to do

Not putting a gun to your head. If you don't have anything constructive to add please move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I listened to Gareth's interview earlier today and he thanked people for their kind words and support they have been giving him since he went public with it so I think to suggest that I have him dead and buried by suggesting posters on here offer their support and best wishes is a bit unfair. I know people can still live happy and fruitful lives with Parkinsons, MS, and Dimentia but highlighting these health issues can only help people understand the effects they can have on the person's life.

Any way i could listen back to that interview?what station was it on?etc
    I used to love gareth on 2fm back in the day.good luck to him in dealing with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

OP, your heart is in the right place but you’ve gone about this completely in the wrong way.

Request the thread to be deleted & start a new one, one that is less OTT & that doesn’t deflect from an upbeat, positive & supportive one, please:)

Any way i could listen back to that interview?what station was it on?etc
    I used to love gareth on 2fm back in the day.good luck to him in dealing with this.

Try this link hope it works. It's down the bottom of the article. http://radiotoday.ie/2018/03/gareth-ocallaghan-diagnosed-with-parkinsons/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

While i wouldnt always have been a fan i appreciate his love of music/radio and its hard to see someone of 57 diagnosed with this.
    I wish him strength.

Sure why don't you start a thread for them then?

OP, your heart is in the right place but you’ve gone about this completely in the wrong way.

Request the thread to be deleted & start a new one, one that is less OTT & that doesn’t deflect from an upbeat, positive & supportive one, please:)

If the moderator wants to delete this thread I won't have an issue with it also if other posters wish for me to have this thread deleted I will request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

One thing though...

I was going to post the same thing and earn brownie points with my missus for correcting someone on terminology.

Ehh much like for most MS sufferers it is considered a long-term degenerative disorder and not a fatal disease.

As someone else stated Gareth was one of the non offensive types on the Irish airwaves and always came across as the type of guy you actually wouldn't mind meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

jmayo wrote: »
    I was going to post the same thing and earn brownie points with my missus for correcting someone on terminology.

Great, I would like to cash in my brownie points with your wife. *dims the lights and puts on Barry White*

• Advertisement

jmayo wrote: »

Ehh much like for most MS sufferers it is considered a long-term degenerative disorder and not a fatal disease.

As someone else stated Gareth was one of the non offensive types on the Irish airwaves and always came across as the type of guy you actually wouldn't mind meeting.

My intention wasn't to offend anyone who suffers from any of those degenerative disorders if I did I apologise profusely. Hopefully my apology will clear that up and we can stick to the topic of wishing Gareth and his partener Paula a long and happy future together.

Advertisement