Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Codenames World Cup GAME 6 - Team Cage v Team Free

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

PUPIL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Red word
    P or p?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pter wrote: »
    PUPIL

Please let the spellimg change habe been 1 r :/

Banjo wrote: »
    Red word
    P or p?

Darn

APPLE

• Advertisement

Red again. Surrender now and we'll spare your life!

PANTS

Red wins.

Sorry guffster.

Can't take a screenshot on mobile. Sorry

My dodgy clues :
    Sting - scorpion and concert. Like the pompous bass player, Sting.
    Verruca - foot and Compound (w - the leading treatment)
    Wizzard - concert again, nut - because several members of the band are certifiable - and spell because it's not a real word so isn't a homonym.
    Gas - Jupiter, mine, compound again.

For the record, am furious that
    A) a mod edited a post in a game they were actively playing in but more importantly
    B) that edit made my post a misleading antihint that appeared to be reinforcing a line of thinking that benefitted the mods team
    C) the edited text could not be interpreted as emphasising a pronunciation since it's an "invented" word with only one pronunciation, I was correcting a spelling error, it says in the rules the captain can spell words.

Didn't effect the way the game ended (I hope) but something to be careful of going forward, I feel.

• Advertisement

Banjo, you can spell out the clue when giving it. You can't post and tell your teammate they have misread your clue.

I understand your objections but you broke the rules and I reset the post so it didn't break the rules.

If it was an antihint, then that was because yours was a hint.

Guffy if the edit mislead you I apologise but your teammate posted an illegal post.

If it was an antihint, then that was because yours was a hint.

Reread guffys post. You are mistaken.
    The partial post you left became a hint, but a hint towards Red words.

We can take this to PM's, but seriously, if you need me to point out that mod editing a post in a competitive game you are actively competing in is wrong, regardless of what I've done (aside from charter violations) then there's no point discussing it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Probably up to guffy alright to make sure the clue is right. Though I can see how it would be annoying if your team mate was barking up the wrong tree if they got the clue wrong.

Best thing to do I think, and in future, was to check by pm with pj whether he'd allow clarification. If it's ok'd by the other captain then it's good.

Quoting the team mates thoughts are a different matter as that can be giving hints that they're right.

Banjo wrote: »
    Reread guffys post. You are mistaken.
    The partial post you left became a hint, but a hint towards Red words.

We can take this to PM's, but seriously, if you need me to point out that mod editing a post in a competitive game you are actively competing in is wrong, regardless of what I've done (aside from charter violations) then there's no point discussing it further.

This is the very first time I have seen an issue like this evoke such an angry reaction. It's a fun game banjo and your team still has a chance to progress. Take it easy and learn from the mistake. I'm not going to leave a rule break there because that's how games have to be abandoned.

You know what, you have a point that I'll be open to being called biased since I'm wearing 3 different hats right now. I'll recuse myself from playing and sub someone in.

Just want everyone to have fun playing, so this knocks that issue on the head.

This is the very first time I have seen an issue like this evoke such an angry reaction. It's a fun game banjo and your team still has a chance to progress. Take it easy and learn from the mistake. I'm not going to leave a rule break there because that's how games have to be abandoned.

If I was angry angry, I'd have done this during the game.

This is supposed to be constructive but your post suggests you think this is a bad beat rant. It's not.

I'm pointing it out because there's the appearance of impropriety. As a mod, you should be concerned about that. If a future edit swings a game, that's a problem.

If you're deleting a perceived rule break, delete the whole thing would be my advice.

Banjo wrote:
    I'm pointing it out because there's the appearance of impropriety. As a mod, you should be concerned about that. If a future edit swings a game, that's a problem.

Please see my follow up post.

If you feel there is impropriety, please report the issue Banjo. Your own teammate said there was no issue so I don't understand why you are still debating the point.

There was no impropriety and I have acted the same as I would in any other game, and indeed, as I have in other tournament games today.

If you feel there is impropriety, please report the issue Banjo. Your own teammate said there was no issue so I don't understand why you are still debating the point.

There was no impropriety and I have acted the same as I would in any other game, and indeed, as I have in other tournament games today.

Pm sent.
    Promise I won't treat your inbox like I do Fourier's

Ok so im guessing Pter edited banjos post, but only some of it? Maybe it should have been deleted in its entirety? If the deleted portion reffered to me missing a spelling the correction shouldnt really have been there but ya delete the whole thing.

Cures for varrucas i found were duct tape, vinager and acid. Don't know chem and assumed acid was opp of compound :(

Misread the wizzard clue. Was painful trying to figure that out.

Pter do not recuse yourself we'll kick your ass in the final.

• Advertisement

Yeah recusal is not the answer!

Compound w is more for warts. That's why it's not compund v. But thems the breaks. Didn't think of round. So now you know about my irregular shaped verruca issue too :0

Don't back out Pter. We still need to beat you next round 😀

Appreciate that guys. Will have a think on it. Still think it could be an issue. Will update the tournament brackets in the morning.

Don't think there's any issue. My take on it is that captains shouldn't be posting anything bar the clues, and correct/pass etc, and no quoting unless directly to a guess. And if there's anything that needs sorting they do so by pm amongst themselves.

You can then have your mod hat on for whatever needs modding according to the forum charter (can't imagine there's much but what do I know :pac:)

I take Banjos point that its slightly different since i wasnt a captain as well.

Ok we will give it another shot, and if a rule breakage happens, ill delete the post and/or abandon the game and we start again.

osh wrote: »
    Don't think there's any issue. My take on it is that captains shouldn't be posting anything bar the clues, and correct/pass etc, and no quoting unless directly to a guess. And if there's anything that needs sorting they do so by pm amongst themselves.

You can then have your mod hat on for whatever needs modding according to the forum charter (can't imagine there's much but what do I know :pac:)

There's usually just me, to be fair. But this wasn't a charter thing, it was a game rule thing, but the game mods don't have privileges to mod the games in this manner. So it's delicate.

Again, this is not me disputing the loss. But (Banjo, why is there always a but?) the specific spelling and intent of the clue was agreed between captains before posting, which I thought was the ultimate authority in this game (provided charter is abided by) and captains are expressly permitted to spell clues out. Probably should have asked, but was in a hurry.

The quoting thing I didn't know. I thought if I quoted all his guesses, including the red word ones, it would be clear that my intention was purely to correct, but obviously only the other captain could have known that.

So all I'd suggest is that if a mod is playing but not captaining, confirm mod actions with both captains (pausing the game and removing the post while it's considered). This would require a degree of trust in the captains since they might not be able to share their justification for overruling with the mod till after the game!

In this case, if he confirmed with PJ, that's plenty since I'd be biased.

It's to late to exit gracefully, but sure I'll sashay disgracefully off now :)

I missed all this kerfuffle till now.. gg guys

I need you pter. TEAM RAGE CAGE WILL WIN THE WORLD CUP

Advertisement