Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Ireland a socially progressive or backward country?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭muckbrien

As a nation

Socially progressive disorganized backward squabblers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The rate of change makes it seem progressive but Ireland is still coming a position which is decades behind most of Europe.

Tenancy rights, family law, segregation in education all drag Ireland way down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

jeonahr wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the UCD SU president got impeached because she involved herself in the student body mandate which is pro-choice. She claimed that she would hand over all pro-choice activities and such to another officer. She also wasted thousands of the SU's money to reprint the freshers' magazine a week before publication to remove the abortion information page. A hefty sum of money it was. She was voted in despite her very public stand on being pro-life. So her actions were what really pushed her out of her position.

While I disagree with her stance, her removal was politically motivated. Student unions are known for their loose relationship with accounting - yet nothing ever happens. She was voted in so barring criminal activity should have been allowed to serve out her term. This is one area where Western society is becoming worryingly regressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The rate of change makes it seem progressive but Ireland is still coming a position which is decades behind most of Europe.

Family law? In what way.

Anyway we could all include a list of stuff we don’t like and say “non progressive”. Most continental European countries have a less than impressive legal system where you can be jailed on remand for years until found guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Family law? In what way.

Anyway we could all include a list of stuff we don’t like and say “non progressive”. Most continental European countries have a less than impressive legal system where you can be jailed on remand for years until found guilty.

Paid paternity leave, for a start.

With the exception of terrorism, can you give me examples of the above?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

First family law case I ever studied https://www.familylaw.co.uk/news_and_comment/re-a-letter-to-a-young-person-2017-ewfc-48

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

After living in the states for 3 years and coming back Ireland is progressive for sure. The attitudes in the states are a bit like Ireland of the 80's. My misses went to planned parenthood for a womens health issue in NJ we couldn't believe the people standing with crosses outside the clinic. Wouldn't see that in Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm so impressed with this country I'm leaving ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

cnocbui wrote: »

Well where you off to ?

• Advertisement

Southern hemisphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Backward in terms of influence of Religion and also Accountability in public sector (politicians, Gardai, PS Unions, HSE)

If you focus on what's bad you'll miss all the good things. There are some really good people out there doing some really good work in communities and with other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Progressive for the most part. If your opinion does not tally with that of the majority on certain issues you are roundly pounced upon and labeled a homophobe/sexist/racist/whatever.

Two pertinent examples being the same sex marriage referendum and the upcoming abortion referendum. I couldn't really understand why people would feel inclined to vote against same sex marriage, but I wouldn't begrudge them their opinion to feel that way. I remember posters against same sex marriage being taken down or vandalised by yes voters and things like that happening. Your one being impeached as President of UCD SU because of her abortion views was also a massive story (for some reason).  FWIW I voted yes in 2015 and would be inclined to vote in favour of repealing the 8th.

The media are (when not sweeping CC issues under the rug) generally progressive. The Apple tax debacle and how some outlets wrote about the case as if we have some sort of legitimate claim to the money, spinning the "homeless crisis" narrative, putting chancers who just want a free "forever home" on their documentaries, whining about PTSB selling off sh*t loans to vulture funds when they should have done so years ago etc.

So yeah, progressive in the main.
    What about polygamy? Child marriage?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

We are sometimes held back by our Catholic Guilt, and our history of British Rule, but referendums such as Divorce, Gay Marriage, and the up coming Repeal, show that we are moving on.

Only 15% of politicians are female. In which century do you think ireland will have a female Taoiseach?

The best that can be expected is allowing limited access to abortions which will still see thousands every year traipsing to the Uk. That is not progress.

Only 15% of politicians are female. In which century do you think ireland will have a female Taoiseach?

The best that can be expected is allowing limited access to abortions which will still see thousands every year traipsing to the Uk. That is not progress.
    They make good secretaries though. and that's important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

How the  Nuclear Free country could be progressive? The cheapest and one of the the cleanest source of energy is banned for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

na1 wrote: »
    How the Nuclear Free country could be progressive? The cheapest and one of the the cleanest source of energy is banned for what?

Would you go to live in Fukushima Prefect or Chernobyl?

• Advertisement

Chrongen wrote: »
    How the  Nuclear Free country could be progressive? The cheapest and one of the the cleanest source of energy is banned for what?
    Would you go to live in Fukushima Prefect or Chernobyl?

Would you go live near fertilizer factory in Toulouse? 
    Near fireworks factory in Kolding, in Denmark?
    Buncefield oil depot near Hertfordshire, England?
    West Fertilizer Company plant in West, Texas?
    Etc. etc.
    There are around 450 nuclear plants around the world and only 2 disasters in over 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Pete Tong

There are around 450 nuclear plants around the world and only 2 disasters in over 30 years.

It's 50's technology that is now too old and expensive. Insurance costs alone make it unviable. When it goes wrong, it really does go wrong, making huge amounts of land uninhabitable for a long long time.
    2 major accidents in 30 years is pretty bad as well, considering the amount of NPPs that are now ageing.

We need to look to the future and look towards progressive renewable energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

House da homeless first.

No oder countries has homeless people.

Leo wants dem dead.

The homeless are looked after a lot better in this country than in many others.

Lots of other countries have homeless people. England has and they are not looked after as well. America has too and so do most European countries.

Pete Tong wrote: »

It's 50's technology that is now too old and expensive. Insurance costs alone make it unviable. When it goes wrong, it really does go wrong, making huge amounts of land uninhabitable for a long long time.
    2 major accidents in 30 years is pretty bad as well, considering the amount of NPPs that are now ageing.

We need to look to the future and look towards progressive renewable energy.

Wiki doesn't agree:
    However, from a safety stand point, nuclear power, in terms of lives lost per unit of electricity delivered, is comparable to, and in some cases lower, than many renewable energy sources

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

we are emotionally and sexually stunted(thanks Catholicism), we are playing catch up with other nations on many issues. we are progressive with social care(tho hospitals are a huge issue). i hope we get a chance to have a proper system of governance before its too late but i highly doubt it. too many vested interests

I would say we are also stunted in how we express ourselves verbally. Our vocabulary is limited and our conversations are quite shallow.

I spend a lot of time with Americans, Canadians and also British people and there tends to be a lot more depth to their conversations. Even though they have their fair share of fools, they aren’t afraid to express themselves and don’t really have restrictions, such as the many awkward father/son relationships I’ve seen in Ireland. We probably need to be more progressive starting at the dinner table.

I’d also like to add that ‘progressive’ for me is being open to new ideas, not holding back the many to prop up the few, being able to discuss any topics openly, and not shutting down anyone’s right to free speech so long as it’s not inciting or encouraging violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Rezident

jeonahr wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the UCD SU president got impeached because she involved herself in the student body mandate which is pro-choice. She claimed that she would hand over all pro-choice activities and such to another officer. She also wasted thousands of the SU's money to reprint the freshers' magazine a week before publication to remove the abortion information page. A hefty sum of money it was. She was voted in despite her very public stand on being pro-life. So her actions were what really pushed her out of her position.

She did it on foot of legal advice - but it proves the point you had quoted that in Ireland you would will be (falsely) labelled anyway! :D

• Site Banned Posts: 7 grass_cutter

tenancy rights are stronger in ireland than anywhere else in europe

nowhere else in europe can you take the p1ss as a tenant like you can here and get off scot free

• Site Banned Posts: 7 grass_cutter

How the  Nuclear Free country could be progressive? The cheapest and one of the the cleanest source of energy is banned for what?

" progressive " is a word which explains things that left wingers like and desire

nuclear power is not something the left usually want

• Registered Users Posts: 11,524 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

WLPA00w.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

" progressive " is a word which explains things that left wingers like and desire

nuclear power is not something the left usually want

:confused::confused:

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement