Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you consider Ireland a socially progressive or backward country?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭

In comparison to other western European countries

blasphemy law? The late late show format?

Backward!

Ireland 80 votes

Progressive
    0% 0 votes
    Backward
    100% 80 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

I'd consider it sideward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Needs a third option. Even just Atari Jaguar.

It's a peculiar mix of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

We're not backward about coming forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

What’s wrong with the LLS?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,811 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

mikemac2 wrote: »
    What’s wrong with the LLS?

Tubs get 200 million a week for half an hours work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's certainly making progress, so it's sort of progressive, but starting from a very low base. Ask me again in May, when hopefully we've voted to remove the 8th Amendment from the constitution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Considering the rights we have this country despite its shortcomings it is up there as one of the most progressive in the world. Before the moaners have a heart attack over that statement compare Ireland to a huge number of countries around the world from the US to China to Nigeria or Syria, Venezuela etc etc etc....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

By global standards, socially progressive The major outlier is our abortion law which is out of kilter with most of the rest of the world. Generous and comprehensive welfare system, equality for minorities, good education system, generally good protection for workers, middling health service.

By Western European standards, middling. Tremendous progress made in the past 30 years but more to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,377 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's a socially progressive backwards country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's an odd question.

The more socially progressive you are, relative to yourself you would perceive the country as more backwards. Whereas the more backwards you are, your perception would be the opposite.

So what the poll shows at first glance is going to give the opposite impression of the underlying reality (at least pertaining to the participants) i.e. the more people who vote backwards, the more socially liberal the participants.

There has to be a word that describes this paradox but it isn't coming to mind.

We're getting to the stage where we'll have progressed too much, and we'll need to regress a bit..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 108 ✭✭CarlosHarpic

Do not care. Social justice issues in the modern sense are pure bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

Progressive for the most part. If your opinion does not tally with that of the majority on certain issues you are roundly pounced upon and labeled a homophobe/sexist/racist/whatever.

Two pertinent examples being the same sex marriage referendum and the upcoming abortion referendum. I couldn't really understand why people would feel inclined to vote against same sex marriage, but I wouldn't begrudge them their opinion to feel that way. I remember posters against same sex marriage being taken down or vandalised by yes voters and things like that happening. Your one being impeached as President of UCD SU because of her abortion views was also a massive story (for some reason). FWIW I voted yes in 2015 and would be inclined to vote in favour of repealing the 8th.

The media are (when not sweeping CC issues under the rug) generally progressive. The Apple tax debacle and how some outlets wrote about the case as if we have some sort of legitimate claim to the money, spinning the "homeless crisis" narrative, putting chancers who just want a free "forever home" on their documentaries, whining about PTSB selling off sh*t loans to vulture funds when they should have done so years ago etc.

So yeah, progressive in the main.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Our media in the hands of a few is an issue

If a trade union is involved in a dispute there will always be articles on union bashing in the Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 15,741 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

We're fine they way we are. You can have too much 'progress'.
    #

Not at all. I think there is still more progress to be made to be a much more open society. A lot more can be done.
    We're getting to the stage where we'll have progressed too much, and we'll need to regress a bit..

Not at all. Do not think that could ever happen in our lifetime. As I said above still loads more progress to be made in society. People are still quite small closed minded on some very controversial but harmless issues. A lot of people still do not get trans people for instance or males that want to wear a dress when there is no harm in it.

Some done more to do.
    mikemac2 wrote: »
    Our media in the hands of a few is an issue

If a trade union is involved in a dispute there will always be articles on union bashing in the Irish Independent

I read it a lot and find there articles very balanced for both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Mixture. Extremely welcoming and accepting of minorities for instance, lgbt and different races and cultures
    But then completely backward on issues like mental health and suicide and alcoholism and most people don't give a toss about the environment or wastage , but its improving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

I'd say very much progressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭jeonahr

Progressive for the most part. If your opinion does not tally with that of the majority on certain issues you are roundly pounced upon and labeled a homophobe/sexist/racist/whatever.

Two pertinent examples being the same sex marriage referendum and the upcoming abortion referendum. I couldn't really understand why people would feel inclined to vote against same sex marriage, but I wouldn't begrudge them their opinion to feel that way. I remember posters against same sex marriage being taken down or vandalised by yes voters and things like that happening. Your one being impeached as President of UCD SU because of her abortion views was also a massive story (for some reason). FWIW I voted yes in 2015 and would be inclined to vote in favour of repealing the 8th.

The media are (when not sweeping CC issues under the rug) generally progressive. The Apple tax debacle and how some outlets wrote about the case as if we have some sort of legitimate claim to the money, spinning the "homeless crisis" narrative, putting chancers who just want a free "forever home" on their documentaries, whining about PTSB selling off sh*t loans to vulture funds when they should have done so years ago etc.

So yeah, progressive in the main.

I'm pretty sure the UCD SU president got impeached because she involved herself in the student body mandate which is pro-choice. She claimed that she would hand over all pro-choice activities and such to another officer. She also wasted thousands of the SU's money to reprint the freshers' magazine a week before publication to remove the abortion information page. A hefty sum of money it was. She was voted in despite her very public stand on being pro-life. So her actions were what really pushed her out of her position.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Pete Tong

Too much regulation. Far too much State control.
    The more State control, regulations, rules, taxes, levies, duties etc, etc... the less freedom.

Whenever I go on holiday to practically anywhere (apart from the UK) on my return, I really do find Ireland stifling.
    You can't even have a beer in a Café. - you can do that in North Korea!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I think we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Definitely not progressive.

That said, not nessecarily backwards either. Just a bit too conservative.

People have an over-reliance on the pub for social life (and do nothing else) and pay for too much attention to that they read in the tabloids (and yes, they do - none of that "oh I only read it for the football" or "I only read it on the bus into work" bull****).

FTR - "progessive" does NOT mean adhereing to this SJW/PC crap.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Obviously one of the most socially progressive countries in the world.

That said the term “progressive” is itself probably nonsense. The world is getting more religious, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I suppose one mans progression could be deemed regression by another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

There's absolutely no country in the world to compare it to, so I dont understand the question at-all at-all to-be-sure to-be-sure.
    I love Ireland anyway WHATEVS etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I suppose one mans progression could be deemed regression by another.

Yes, quite often. And often quite wrongly.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Choronzon13

Bitta both. A bit too conservative though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

we are emotionally and sexually stunted(thanks Catholicism), we are playing catch up with other nations on many issues. we are progressive with social care(tho hospitals are a huge issue). i hope we get a chance to have a proper system of governance before its too late but i highly doubt it. too many vested interests

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

House da homeless first.

No oder countries has homeless people.

Leo wants dem dead.

Advertisement