Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

She never texts first, red flag?

Options
  • 05-03-2018 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Been on 4 dates with a girl now. Both early 30's. I like her and would like to move things along. Thing is she never contacts me first. Even when she has known I had important things on that she could have said "good luck" for, or "how did that go". Its always me initiating things. When I do suggest dates everything goes well.

I brought this up with a friend of mine and they suggested not to text her and see what happens, when she doesn't contact me again I have my answer.

Is this ever a good idea?? I can always just ask her does she see potential here or is that too soon after 4 dates?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Jasper_ wrote: »
    Been on 4 dates with a girl now. Both early 30's. I like her and would like to move things along. Thing is she never contacts me first. Even when she has known I had important things on that she could have said "good luck" for, or "how did that go". Its always me initiating things. When I do suggest dates everything goes well.

I brought this up with a friend of mine and they suggested not to text her and see what happens, when she doesn't contact me again I have my answer.

Is this ever a good idea?? I can always just ask her does she see potential here or is that too soon after 4 dates?

If you like her, text her. Stop overthinking things. If it doesn’t work out it doesn’t work out. If it does, great.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭CookieLover

I think you are overthinking the situation! Just have fun and enjoy the dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,532 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

4 dates isn't many at all to be over analysing like you are.

Keep dating and text her if you feel like it but it's too early to be over thinking things. You'll only know if she likes you by spending time together. Purposely not texting may give her the idea you're not interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭tara73

I'm with your friend here. I don't think it's a good sign if one person has to do all the contacting, not in a long term relationship and not in the early stages.

try to hold off contacting her and see if she does then.

• Administrators Posts: 13,855 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Some women have this ridiculous notion that the man should do all the work. And you can also be fairly sure if you stopped contacting her to see of she would she'd be telling her friends how she thought it was going well and then you just disappeared!

You could probably try to talk to her about it. Tell her that you really enjoy your dates but because you don't hear from her unless you contact her first you're wondering if she's less interested. Don't explain yourself further. Don't waffle on with explanations are guessing what you think she might be thinking. Just word it simply, but directly and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

Ah just keep texting her if you like her. Maybe she’s shy. Maybe she isn’t an initiator. You don’t know her well enough yet to determine too much about her. You could always end a date with, “would you like to go to x,y,z next weekend? Text me with the arrangements/time to collect you/whatever...”...that way you are placing the ball in her court wrt the next texting. If you were saying that dates are only so-so, then I’d be advising differently, but you say dates go well. I wouldn’t get too hung up on the texting thing tbh.

Don’t ghost her whatever you do. Just not texting her will leave her confused and you feeling a bit miserable and wondering ‘what if’. Honestly, ghosting is horrible. It’s being done to me at the moment by someone who meant a great deal to me & I honestly think it’s the height of disrespect & ignorance.

You could always just ask her straight out...how come you are the one to initiate. Is she happy enough to keep seeing you etc.? I think at date 5 you are completely entitled to broach something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Jasper_

@salthillprom
    Surely its not ghosting if she doesn't try to initiate contact first? Ghosting would be her contacting me and me never replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Salthillprom

@salthillprom
    Surely its not ghosting if she doesn't try to initiate contact first? Ghosting would be her contacting me and me never replying.

Well, according to google ghosting is the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,350 ✭✭✭Augme

Well, according to google ghosting is the practice of ending a personal relationship with someone by suddenly and without explanation withdrawing from all communication.

So you could say she is ghosting the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Augme wrote: »

No, because when he texts her, she texts back. Ghosting is “withdrawing ALL communication”

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Ghosting is completely disappearing/cutting all contact/not replying.

I think big bag of chips gave good advice. That, or yes stop texting her and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

You're in your thirties. This type of who texts first business is for those ten years your junior.

If you're having fun then why overthink it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Be the last to text her then stop texting. See where you are at in a week.

If she hasn't made the effort to talk to you then yeah sadly you will need to move on.
    Things progress naturally when dating. If after 4 dates the person seems a bit meh with contacting then it's always usually a sign they aren't that invested.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

No. She hasn't changed her behavior.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Even when she has known I had important things on that she could have said "good luck" for, or "how did that go".

I wouldn't disregard this too easily, depending on the details of course. Even if somebody is not a big texter you would indeed expect somebody you are dating to take an interest in the important things happening in your life.

4 dates is very early, its not even a relationship yet and there are no obligations. And yes, some people just don't like writing texts and messages, I'm one of them.

But never contacting you at all, not even once and not even when you had something important on? If you wanted to gauge how interested she is in you then I wouldn't be dismissing that easily at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You could probably try to talk to her about it. Tell her that you really enjoy your dates but because you don't hear from her unless you contact her first you're wondering if she's less interested. Don't explain yourself further. Don't waffle on with explanations are guessing what you think she might be thinking. Just word it simply, but directly and see what happens.

I would advise this too, rather than just not texting and seeing what happens.

When you are with her, and she makes some positive comment about something, like that she had a great time, you could say it then - that you are happy to hear it, because as she doesn't text and you do all the initiating, you sometimes wonder how interested she actually is.

She might want to deal with it then, but if she doesn't just leave it at that. She knows how you feel about it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

To be honest, I'd be more like your friend OP. Especially after four dates, having these direct chats asking about frequency of texting and initiation could easily put it into "you made it weird..." territory. You don't really know her, she could feel criticised or judged for what is a perfectly understandable reason and you mightn't have your day in court to get your stance across properly before it's ruined.

I'd need someone to chase me back a bit to stay interested myself, I can't stand the feeling of doing all the running. So I'd naturally just not text and see if they do (not as a game really, my life is just genuinely busy so there are days when I don't even think of texting and then you get to the end of the day like "waaaait a minute...").

But yeah, leave texting her a while and see if she comes around. She could be one of these self-perpetuators who let the lad do all the running thinking "There's no point he'll probably go missing one day anyway", then after not making an effort herself blaming you when you stop chatting. Sounds specific but there's a lot out there and you've got away lucky finding out if she is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

How close together were the dates? Maybe she just isn't mad into texting and prefers to just chat on dates and get to know each other that way.

@neomspfa

Its been one every weekend for the last month. I really am not crazy about constant texting, I think I even said this to her early on in a drunken conversation. But it's just disconcerting that I believe that if I just stopped all contact that I would simply never hear from her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,270 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm really not one for games, but to be honest I don't think its such a bad idea to step back and see if she is at any point going to make an effort to contact you.

You need to know what level of interest she has, its unhealthy for only one person to be doing the chasing and since you can hardly tell her to "spontaneously" get in touch, the only option is to stop and wait for her to do it herself. Or not.

It might be disconcerting to think that she is so blase about you that she would just let you disappear without lifting a finger, but again, its better to know that now rather than later.

I would stop with the texts and see if she makes any effort to get in touch. If it goes a week without any word from her then you have your answer, at that point you can then contact her again to meet for a chat or get some closure.

Seriously though, its important to know where you stand, unequal relationships are not healthy and one person doing all the running is not healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

I don't think it's a good sign tbh. When you're interested in someone you sort of meet them half way on these things IME, even if you're not a texter and even if you've established a pattern where he's always first to get in touch. You'll throw them a text like, lest they think you're just not arsed about them at all.

I'd go with what everyone is saying and hold back on the texts to see if that shimmies her into action. If you fancy someone you definitely would't let more than a week go by without checking in with them. Stop texting her and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

I'd just get on with my life, have a few more dates with someone else.

I wouldn't read into it, I suppose I'm old school.

But too many people in the tinder generation out there monkey branching, my way isn't the best way I know.

But if I felt like I'm being ignored I'd just cut it.
    I don't care if they don't bother putting in the effort,you're worth it young man.

Don't sell yourself short, you'll probably get a leftie or a snowflake saying my approach is all wrong.

Quite frankly my dear I don't give a damn.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭beefburrito

With the quality of people on dating sites who're bunny boilers, I think ghosting is appropriate....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Seems like a red flag op. If she's interested she would text you, end of. I'm with your friend on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Maryg3

OP I wouldn't go over thinking the situation, she's a woman, women tend to act like this for 2 reasons

1 sometimes it's because we want to see are the men that are really interested in us genuine, and in this day and age with tinder, pof and every random easy accessible date site that can get u a clean nó strings attached hook up you could imagine out there, it's no wonder put our guard up more!!

2 she might have a lot going on in her life, and atm a man she has went on four dates with might not be the top priority in her eyes yet!!!

When I first met my husband I didn't always text him first, or check in on him and he was usually the one that initiated first, it didn't mean I wasn't into him, I just happened to be very busy and had a lot going on at the time, but when we did meet up we got on like a house on fire, 10 years later were married with a family and I still love him to bits!!!

Moral of the story stop overthinking and just go with it for now!! it doesn't always mean it will end up bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭justfillmein

I was like that with the last person I dated. i'm not really sure why I never text first. maybe it was because I didn't want to seem too eager or clingy. it end up staying like that then throughout the whole relationship. he didn't seem to mind though.

the new recruit though, its the opposite. i'm a bit too willing to text all day. but that just because I genuinely enjoy conversation with him

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Pohappiness

Don’t ask her ! You will come of as being needy and she will use that as an excuse later. Kill the texting and get busy doing other stuff and if she is into you she’ll text but deep down I think you know you’re answer. I’ve been here before.. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Maybe hold back on the texting and see if she contacts you.

Some people just don't think in ways you do, as in 'He has a big thing on this week better text him and wish him good luck' It can be seen as disinterest I know, but sometimes it's not, it's just their personality. I've been going out with a girl for 3 years, she'd never be the type who would think of texting me before an important interview, for example. It bothered me in the beginning, because I just see it as the normal thing to do but once I learned that it's just the way she is, there's no badness behind it I got over it.

But don't ask her straight out, play the game and see you'll get your answer without coming across as smothering her after 4 dates. Good luck!

Update.

I went with the general consensus and laid off the contact entirely 10 days ago. Radio silence until she text out of the blue today (picking up the conversation as if we had been chatting the whole time), date coming on the weekend now.

So I guess my message to any women reading this, is: in the early stages of dating a guy, if you like the guy, text first occasionally or else his head may become wrecked, as mine has been, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Good stuff man. It could either be that she learned her lesson and job done or that it took her 10 days to think of you so she threw the text while she had to, but now she’s got you back it’ll go back to the status quo. So keep an eye on it and go from there. But well done and I’m glad the advice you got is working so far.

Advertisement